800 or 1200?

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I'm planning on getting back on a bike after a couple of years being overseas and want me a gs. What I don't know is whether I should go 800 or 1200, I'll be using it for commuting and weekend fun, sometimes 2up but normally solo. I like that older 1200s are nice and affordable and the idea of final drive so no chain adjustments is very tempting but I'm worried about the size of the 1200. I'm 5'7 with a 30" inside leg and weight 60kg.

What do you guys think? I will be test driving them both (when I get back to UK in the new year!) but that won't help me with what they'll be like to live (or pick up if I drop it!) with so hopefully you guys can help!

Go ride them both and make your own mind up FFS :D

You can go anywhere in the world on either ;)

:beerjug:

So I'm planning on getting back on a bike after a couple of years being overseas and want me a gs. What I don't know is whether I should go 800 or 1200, I'll be using it for commuting and weekend fun, sometimes 2up but normally solo. I like that older 1200s are nice and affordable and the idea of final drive so no chain adjustments is very tempting but I'm worried about the size of the 1200. I'm 5'7 with a 30" inside leg and weight 60kg.

What do you guys think? I will be test driving them both (when I get back to UK in the new year!) but that won't help me with what they'll be like to live (or pick up if I drop it!) with so hopefully you guys can help!

Get someone to show you how to pick it up. At the NEC Bike Show there was an 'off road skills' area where the BMW tutors were doing a few basic skills. Learning to ride using JUST the clutch, they had the throttle disconnected so you only had idle speed and were in a muddy rut to go round in circles - it was to teach gentle clutch control. Then there was balancing the bike an dmoving all around it, a complete circle, only allowed to use two fingers in contact with the bike - this was after holding the bike upright using just the filler cap key flap....finally it was how to pick the thing up. The little girl tutor who was running the session I joined was about 5' 5" and can't have been more than 7 1/2 stone - she picked it up with ease......it was the technique, not brute strength.

I am sure there is a video of it somewhere if you look for 'how to pick up a GS' I bet there will be plenty.

Firstly you must ride both, other than GS as a model name they have very little in common. I've had two F800GS and one R1200 GSA, out of the two 800s I preferred the 2011, now I prefer the 1200 but I'm doing something different and the 1200 replaced two bikes, an 800 and a Multistrada.

As Mickey said they can both do everything, assuming you will only buy one I'd be considering, which role will the machine be used for most. If it was commuting and both rider and occasional pillion are not YMFB sized, the 800 might be best. If you are going mile munching on multi lane roads the 1200 maybe the one. I found the 800 very tall and I'm 6ft, I know they are easy to lower, I just managed.

Good luck and get testing

800 has a higher seat. Ride both. Don't discount other makes. The 800 and 1200 are so different there is a world of choose out there. JJH

Don't worry about the chain on the 800. It's not really a factor with modern bikes .
As Micky says , ride them both!
I have a 1200 but miss the playful nature of my 800

Ive just been through the same process- Originally the plan was 800 but on test ridding a GSA 1200 Factory Lowered with a low seat fitted I soon changed plan, in about 20 mins of being on it I felt completely confident at low speeds and traffic as I knew I was able to get both feet down flat. I'm 5'6, 30" leg, 74kgs.

So I now own TB Factory Lowered with low seat fitted.

Thanks for the replies all. I will deff be test riding them both and then you'll find me shopping in the for sale section when I've made my mind up :)

I have both and the 1200 is my continental tourer of choice. I can sit on it all day and the motor is strong and torquey. The 800 is tall tall tall. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inside leg measurement and it fits me fine but I have friends who find it intimidating. The motor is frugal and smooth as a smooth thing. The 21" front wheel is twitchy but great for flinging about on back roads. The fork springs are too soft and need replacing with Hyperpro or similar. Both are great bikes and I wouldn't part with either. Buy the best condition 1200 twincam or late model 800 you can afford. Neither will disappoint.
Alan R

.... but miss the playful nature of my 800

I like that, bang on :thumby:

I have both and the 1200 is my continental tourer of choice. I can sit on it all day and the motor is strong and torquey. The 800 is tall tall tall. I'm 6'4" with a 34" inside leg measurement and it fits me fine but I have friends who find it intimidating. The motor is frugal and smooth as a smooth thing. The 21" front wheel is twitchy but great for flinging about on back roads. The fork springs are too soft and need replacing with Hyperpro or similar. Both are great bikes and I wouldn't part with either. Buy the best condition 1200 twincam or late model 800 you can afford. Neither will disappoint.
Alan R

Mmmmm ... I'm only 5'10" stretched out'n pulled, 29" inside leg at best, and ride the F800GS without a problem :rob

Wilbers springs'n suspension front and rear but otherwise totally agree with you ... except that the 800 is a terrific 'mile muncher' too :thumb
(as in125,000 miles in eight years)

The GS ain't difficult to pick up..... I'm 5'7" with a 29" inside leg and can speak from experience. Just make sure you have either engine bars or cylinder head covers on it.

I've got a factory lowered GS and have no problems with mine but I'm 72kg so a right fat tosser compared to you. Try them both....then try the top heavy triumphs, then buy the 1200GS :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KAewJlosQQ

Mmmmm ... I'm only 5'10" stretched out'n pulled, 29" inside leg at best, and ride the F800GS without a problem :rob

Wilbers springs'n suspension front and rear but otherwise totally agree with you ... except that the 800 is a terrific 'mile muncher' too :thumb
(as in125,000 miles in eight years)

Agreed Micky, on the move 800s are fantastic rides (standard seat a bit plank like after a while). What takes some of my shorter mates by surprise is the height you need to throw your leg to get on the thing in the first place and then when upright, only being able to tiptoe when seated.
Alan R

There is a lot of bikes in the 800 category, The Triumph is worth a good look as will the all conquering middle weight Yamahas.
2 up I would go foe a lowered or low seat R1200GS, the low centre of gravity makes it super manageable.

Also don't forget about the F700GS, same 800cc parallel twin as the F800, a bit less power but less vibes, 19" front wheel is better on anything except proper off road, tubeless tyres and much lower (with the ability to have lowered suspension like the F800). I bought one and much prefer it to the F800. In fact for everyday riding I prefer it to my 1200GSA - which I keep for long motorway journeys and when I need to carry a lot of shopping, sorry, round the world kit ;)

It is going to come down to your personal preference. I am 5,8" and am 13 stone with a 31" inside leg. When deciding to buy my GS I rode both. I found that the 800 is higher than the 1200, the thing that absolutely sold me on the 1200 though was the torque. I loved how I could be in almost any gear and the bike would not complain at any speed in any gear when jumping on the throttle.

So I preferred the 1200 personally. If you are going to have pillions on the back, the torque could be very useful for long miles and overtaking!

Also don't forget about the F700GS, same 800cc parallel twin as the F800, a bit less power but less vibes, 19" front wheel is better on anything except proper off road, tubeless tyres and much lower (with the ability to have lowered suspension like the F800). I bought one and much prefer it to the F800. In fact for everyday riding I prefer it to my 1200GSA - which I keep for long motorway journeys and when I need to carry a lot of shopping, sorry, round the world kit ;)
+1. I always think of my 1200 as being my number one bike but in reality my 650 gets much more use.

I've had both ! had the 1200 LC when it first arrived, great bike for travelling on. I now have the 800 GS Trophy, jeez its a nippy little thing, I love it , I have the std seat ,I'm 5 ft 11 and can touch the floor easy enough , it does around 180/ 200 to the tank. It depends what you will be using the bike for , thats the way i look at it .

I booked a test ride on an 800 but it was too tall for me to feel right, and that was factory lowered. Went and sat on lowered 1200 and planted both feet. In the end I bought the 1200 non lowered, but low seat. Love it. I'm 5'7, 29 leg. Don't get me wrong it is a beast, but who needs to flat both feet. I went around Europe. It felt big when we set off, and just right when we got back cos I got used to riding it.

Had the 12 - lowered, with a low seat. 5'6 29 leg - fun but it's heavy. Went to the 800 Tiger and it was a world of differance for back road scratching in wales which i do most of - next Friday i will pick up the F800GS Trophy and can't wait (lowered to 820mm), if you want to get off road a bit the 800 will give you more confidence, i don't miss the grunt of the 1200 because the 800 is just so capable, it's easier to swing around in the road if you need to (which is a necessity on most GS runs btw :blast) so for me weekend fun = 800, but having had two in less that a year with issues i wouldn't recommend the Tiger.... GS all the way!!

Had the 12 - lowered, with a low seat. 5'6 29 leg - fun but it's heavy. Went to the 800 Tiger and it was a world of differance for back road scratching in wales which i do most of - next Friday i will pick up the F800GS Trophy and can't wait (lowered to 820mm), if you want to get off road a bit the 800 will give you more confidence, i don't miss the grunt of the 1200 because the 800 is just so capable, it's easier to swing around in the road if you need to (which is a necessity on most GS runs btw :blast) so for me weekend fun = 800, but having had two in less that a year with issues i wouldn't recommend the Tiger.... GS all the way!!

does the 800 come with a calendar function....lol

Back
Top Bottom