Is 2 weeks enough?

Crash and Burn

Reaction score
I've got a fortnight in June to go for a motorbike holiday. I live near Guildford, so can be on the ferry in a flash.

I would like to ride through the former Yugoslavian countries (mostly along the coast), crossing over the pond in Montenegro to Bari in Italy, where I would wind up the west coast and then back home.

I don't expect to have any 'rest' days, but I don't want to ride for more than 4 or 5 hours per day either. If my route doesn't seem workable, can you make any suggestions?

I've got a fortnight in June to go for a motorbike holiday. I live near Guildford, so can be on the ferry in a flash.

I would like to ride through the former Yugoslavian countries (mostly along the coast), crossing over the pond in Montenegro to Bari in Italy, where I would wind up the west coast and then back home
I don't expect to have any 'rest' days, but I don't want to ride for more than 4 or 5 hours per day either. If my route doesn't seem workable, can you make any suggestions?

My brother has driven his motorhome to Greece using the fastest routes available in four fairly long days, I on the other hand have taken the best part of a month to come back from Greece using the Adriatic coast road, anything is possible but in my opinion shooting past places like Istria, Mostar and Dubrovnic because your on a mission seems pointless.

BMW Tours list a 2017 & 18 itinerary, which requires 16 days, although you could probably trim out some elements.

Visit www.worldofbmw.com

Whilst you may not wish to travel with their group, at least it will provide a baseplate to work from. I think they choose September as the Adriatic Coast Roads are heavy with traffic in the high season.

Enjoy the trip .......................... KEN

4 to 5 hours a day on the bike means at least 3 days to get down from Calais to Kranjska Gora , just over the Slovenian border, that is over 1300 kilometres of which most is on motorways and another 3 days to get back from Northern Italy .

That is without any delays so is only going to leave you 8 days for the rest of your itinerary

5 hours a day, times say 40 mph average speed (if you can do it) is 200 miles a day.

A fortnight is 14 days = 2,800 miles.

Away you go.

Have you thought about shipping the bike? I know its a bit far north, have used a couple of times http://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/Excellent service. Must be similar local. Get bike shipped to Padova fairly short, quick motorway ride to Croatia, maybe Rovjin. Then down coast and get ferry back a bit higher to Ancona from Durres. Nice ride up to Padova. That way you get to see a bit of the countries not just flying past. The coast road in Croatia is just great but can be mega busy with mobile chicanes (motor homes) few miles inland nicer roads and less traffic. 1000/1500 miles some decent roads and dont get home feeling like you need a break. :thumb
Just a thought..

I would like to ride through the former Yugoslavian countries (mostly along the coast), crossing over the pond in Montenegro to Bari in Italy, where I would wind up the west coast and then back home.

It is, of course, your choice but why not ride for another couple of hours a day and add 50% distance covered over your 4 hour / day plan?

Should be do-able northern Europe roads are faster and better so most distance for time can be done there. I did do Bari to Manchester in 3 days but then I had to get home and did 500 mile days. One way I found is to set aside one long day to get closer to where you want and then cut down on riding time. If you take motorways in Northern Europe to get closer to where you want you can easily knock out 500 miles in a day and then enjoy more time near where you want to be.

FWIW I made Croatia in 2 days. As follows

Left after work to overnight in Dunkirk
Dunkirk to Passau in SE Germany (v long day.)
Panssau to Zagreb for 1pm.

Would allow you a bit more time where you want to see stuff. Whatever you do. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom