1150gs is nav v worth fitting?

Condrax

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I need a satnav for my 1150gs. I was looking at buying a nav v but is it worth it on an 1150gs.
The nav v looks great when used on the 1200gs but I'm guessing that a lot of the trick bits won't work on my bike because it won't be connected to the bikes computer.
Has anyone fitted the remote on to the 1150?
I have the bmw communication system in my helmet and would like a system that works with that.
Is there another system that would be better?
Any input would be appreciated. :thumb2

Does the helmet do voice control lands with the nav 5?

If not then a zumo 660 or newer 590/595 will do the same as a Nav5.

I have a 595 on my 1150GSA mainly because it does better off the beaten track routing. It does however have really annoying alerts that can't be turned off. I use it mainly tor music.

Does the helmet do voice control lands with the nav 5?

If not then a zumo 660 or newer 590/595 will do the same as a Nav5.

I have a 595 on my 1150GSA mainly because it does better off the beaten track routing. It does however have really annoying alerts that can't be turned off. I use it mainly tor music.
Hi
alerts? That sounds very distracting:( I would use it for iPhone and music mainly.

In the manual
Enabling or Disabling Rider AlertsYou can turn off individual audible rider alerts. Visual alertsappears even when the audible alert is disabled.1Select Settings > Map & Vehicle > Audible Rider Alerts.2Select or clear the check box next to each alert.
Does this not turn off alerts?

In the manual
Enabling or Disabling Rider AlertsYou can turn off individual audible rider alerts. Visual alertsappears even when the audible alert is disabled.1Select Settings > Map & Vehicle > Audible Rider Alerts.2Select or clear the check box next to each alert.
Does this not turn off alerts?

Not the visual alerts and they are feckin annoying. Schools appear at 8 o'clock at night, sharp bend warnings (erm I'm busy negotiating the road, I don't need a sat nav to flash up a message as I'm about to approach a sharp bend thanks). It's moronic and unnecessary. Wtf they can't be turned off is beyond me.

Not the visual alerts and they are feckin annoying. Schools appear at 8 o'clock at night, sharp bend warnings (erm I'm busy negotiating the road, I don't need a sat nav to flash up a message as I'm about to approach a sharp bend thanks). It's moronic and unnecessary. Wtf they can't be turned off is beyond me.

The best sat nav for a 1150 GS rider is the 2610

Period and vintage

Does everything you need and no silly alerts

Still outperforms the new stuff in terms of getting you from A to B

Route options are still the best

Proper motorcycle sat nav, before Garmin started adapting their car sat navs for bikes

Nah, the best thing for the 1150 rider is the Quest. Though some will find that too modern, opting instead for a homemade map, a ball of twine , three sticks and a sundial.

The best sat nav for a 1150 GS rider is the 2610

Period and vintage

Does everything you need and no silly alerts

Still outperforms the new stuff in terms of getting you from A to B

Route options are still the best

Proper motorcycle sat nav, before Garmin started adapting their car sat navs for bikes

Having had a 2610, 660 and now the 595 I'd agree JB. The 2610 is by far the best SatNav. The only reason I don't use mine is I like music when I ride. 99% of the time mines an expensive MP3 player :D

Mapsource was better than that god awful base camp too. Easier to use and seemed to follow the route you wanted rather than pick its own. I bought the 595 as it has "adventurous riding" routing, it's like the 2610 preference roads but more complicated and not as good, but it's a better choice than the 660 that always chose big roads, or sitting in front of the computer for hours swearing at base camp.

I bought the 595 as it has "adventurous riding" routing

JB thinks that anyone who relies on a GPS device to give them generated routes is a lazy, unimaginative dimwit. He's wrong, perhaps.

I, on the other hand, am delighted that Garmin have found their intended audience with their 595 offering.

Having had a 2610, 660 and now the 595 I'd agree JB. The 2610 is by far the best SatNav. The only reason I don't use mine is I like music when I ride. 99% of the time mines an expensive MP3 player :D

Mapsource was better than that god awful base camp too. Easier to use and seemed to follow the route you wanted rather than pick its own. I bought the 595 as it has "adventurous riding" routing, it's like the 2610 preference roads but more complicated and not as good, but it's a better choice than the 660 that always chose big roads, or sitting in front of the computer for hours swearing at base camp.

Mapsource IS better not was! It's still downloadable from Garmin too. Maybe someone there agrees. Just set your new device to work with Mapsource. I also think the 2610 was the best actual Sat Nav as opposed to the, over complicated, all singing devices they sell now. JB is dead right, Garmin now palm us off with car systems. They might have all sorts of "features" but they are no longer designed for bike use but adapted from car systems. When my 260 finally died I bought a 390. It does have the advantage of having all of Europe loaded but otherwise has very little to offer over the 2610.

John

There you go Wapping

Both GreyOne & Phil agree that the 2610 is the best motorcycle gps

Keep using your newer car adapted versions which are just handlebar trinkets

Then the three of you will be very happy, for sure. Which is nice, as it's Christmas.

Better still, ask Garmin to relaunch the 2610 but with an "adventurous riding" routing option added. It'll then be even more perfect for Flipfly.

I am thinking the 595 is better suited to my needs as it does satnav and music and phone in one package. But it has drawbacks does the nav v do the media stuff? Or would it be wasted on the 1150?
Is there a device that does media and navigation better than the 595?

In the same way that a phone is generally best for making a phone call, an iPod or MP3 player best for music, a GPS device is generally best for navigation. Start combining all three or more and compromises are bound to creep in. Just look at all the, "Me phone don't work and me music is shite and I can't hear SWMBO" type posts, to see the truth in that.

The latest GPS devices are very good. Take no notice of JB, he only turns it on once in a blue moon and then only to confirm he's lost.

Buy the unit that suits you best, trying to work out if you really do need (or even want) to speak on the phone when hooning the awesome steed through the twisties.

Hi
I need a satnav for my 1150gs. I was looking at buying a nav v but is it worth it on an 1150gs.
Is there another system that would be better?
Any input would be appreciated. :thumb2

The NAV V is electronic - you need a steam-powered unit for the 1150 :rob

Attachments

• 7_M47.jpg
    7_M47.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 186
I am thinking the 595 is better suited to my needs as it does satnav and music and phone in one package. But it has drawbacks does the nav v do the media stuff? Or would it be wasted on the 1150?
Is there a device that does media and navigation better than the 595?
The 595 is a fantastic unit as an overall package. Phone calls are crystal clear (80mph with a packtalk and my wife thought I was parked up!), music quality is very good (ditched the standard speakers for in ear buds) and the routing seems pretty good (although I still prefer the road type slider system of the original 2610 as the adventurous routing seems a convoluted way of achieving similar results).
If only I could turn off the stupid warnings that appear on screen which are An unwanted distraction at a point when you really want to focus on what you are doing.

The screen can seem very washed out at times and the route itself can be hard to follow due to the colours, but it handles sunlight better than the old 660.

Imho it is almost there. Better than the 2610 because it handles music and phone calls, but routing is not as good as the older machine. The 660 is by far the worst for anything other than getting from a to b via the biggest and widest (boring) roads.

The keyboard on screen is also frustratingly shite even compared to the 660 which seemed to work quite well.

Overall it's very good but for me it does have some major annoyances which seem to be down to trying to be too clever.

Thanks for all your imput I have decided on the 590lm ;)
Found one at the right price :)
I have an iPhone but can not use it with gloves on so the fact that the 590 works with a gloved hand is great.
Cheers guys.

590 doesn't have adventurous riding IIRC so I hope you like main roads or lots of planning.

Back
Top Bottom