Scrapyard dog or Phoenix from the fire?

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
It seemed like a good idea at the time.:comfort
I was perusing eBay as you do,
I spotted a g/s mono frame and short engine that Sherlocks were selling and it must have planted a seed.
over a few days I kept going back to it( bad idea).:blast
So I feel no guilt about killing an old airhead,Sherlocks killed it:comfort
My 50th birthday was approaching and I managed to convince clare that it was an ideal prezzy :clap
This bike is going to be a slow burner so don't expect daily updates:D
This is where I've got to to date.
I didn't take any pics of the engine but I feel sure you've all seen a 34 year old motor before.
First thing was to strip the crankcase,and get it clean.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,301
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,294
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2,329
I don't know if anyone reading this has ever had a crankcase aquablasted,, but the blastmedia is absolutely packed into every crevice,oil gallery ,stud thread you get the idea.
If any of it is left to get into the oil system ,its game over.scrap.the motor will be fucked.
So it takes about 4 hours of steam cleaning,solvent tank cleaning, blowing out with compressed air till I'm happy that no glassbead is left anywhere

Often thought about getting a shylocks motor and frame for a project. Come close to pulling the trigger a few times but then I remember the fortune project bikes always end up costing me. Have you gone for a frame and motor with matching numbers?

My decision was made on the finish I wanted on the bike so I needed to mask the engine prior to having the crankcase powder coated in gloss black,
No going back:D

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,206
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,177
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,181
Often thought about getting a shylocks motor and frame for a project. Come close to pulling the trigger a few times but then I remember the fortune project bikes always end up costing me. Have you gone for a frame and motor with matching numbers?
Yes, saved a few squid as they had lost the logbook and the bike came from Southern Ireland,will worry about that later:blast
One thing to think about is the cost of all the small bits,which will be on a complete machine,:eek:
In this case it is irrelevant as I bought the only two bits I wanted:blast

Hi Mikey

Nice work, love a black engine. When i had my drag bike engine built by RM we had a few chats on the aquablasting and the efforts he goes through to ensure its perfectly clean before moving on to the rebuilding. What became apparent is how the cost to build the engine is not just the things you change / modify but the skill / experience which no doubt has been hard earned to build reliable engines.

When do you plan to have the engine all back together ?

looks like 2017 could be black engine year as project stealth engine + box is already built and ready and guess what .... its black.

I was amazed at the amount of beads in the bottom of my ultrasonic cleaner when I put a crankcase in there And that was a block that had been supposedly washed out thoroughly. It took four ultrasonic cleans before It stopped throwing out beads.

I wont have another one done..

Hayabusa forks,yokes,radial calipers,complete with a wheel and discs:eek:
The 17" wheel will be changed later in the build

mmmmm interesting, how long are the Hayabusa forks? I had to go for KTM to easily get something long enough for my R100R, and these possibly would have made life easier. My GSXR 600 forks on my old Ducati were too short :-(

mmmmm interesting, how long are the Hayabusa forks? I had to go for KTM to easily get something long enough for my R100R, and these possibly would have made life easier. My GSXR 600 forks on my old Ducati were too short :-(
They are a bit short 730mm axle to top of leg,but the back will be lower as well so all should be good,the bike is going to be a roadster not a dual sport,
I also have a DRZ sm front end but that is huge ,would need a mounting block if I fitted those:blast

Back
Top Bottom