Morocco maps

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are there maps of Morocco available for the Garmin Zumo 660 that give good coverage in rural areas and the south? Garmin's offering only gives detailed coverage in major urban areas it seems. If there are none, which GPS would you recommend that does have good map coverage of Morocco as I'm losing faith in my Zumo 660 even in the UK :blast

Are there maps of Morocco available for the Garmin Zumo 660 that give good coverage in rural areas and the south? Garmin's offering only gives detailed coverage in major urban areas it seems. If there are none, which GPS would you recommend that does have good map coverage of Morocco as I'm losing faith in my Zumo 660 even in the UK :blast

I've used the maps from here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ - :thumb2

Hi

I used a Tomtom rider with the North Africa maps added. Covered all rural areas and some roads that in the UK would be classed as tracks at best. Had a fantastic time May 2016 even if the roads were scary at times. Booked to go again next May.

Derek

I've used the maps from here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ - :thumb2

I tried using those, and while the price is very nice, they mapping isn't 100% so for example at a T junction the road joining the main road isn't actually connected, which causes so strange routing.

IIRC there's also mapping from Olaf who's produced it based on tracks submitted from peoples GPSR's which is much better if you're going off the roads and onto the pistes.

Lee, download the Olaf mapping for free which is available in this section somewhere, you don't need rout-able mapping.

before you load it to your gps delete all the topo side of it which means it becomes easier to read by removing all the contour lines.

If you get stuck, give me a ring.

Thanks Tim :thumb2 Don't want to get lost next April when you all leave me in a cloud a dust! Saying that, I'll always have Spud for company :D

Thanks Tim :thumb2 Don't want to get lost next April when you all leave me in a cloud a dust! Saying that, I'll always have Spud for company :D

I'm sure you and Spud can keep up with the 950, besides Spud's good company but if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and he's hungry .....watch out :D

As Tim says the Olaf download is the way to go, got me through a few weeks in the Atlas and across the desert easy enough without getting lost once

Is there any reason for using the Olaf maps rather than the Garmin offerings other than the fact that the Olaf mapping is free. According to the link the Olaf mapping is nearly 10 years old. Has anybody bought the Garmin Morocco mapping and have any views on it?

Is there any reason for using the Olaf maps rather than the Garmin offerings other than the fact that the Olaf mapping is free. According to the link the Olaf mapping is nearly 10 years old. Has anybody bought the Garmin Morocco mapping and have any views on it?

From what I've seen Mike, the Garmin mapping is great if for some reason you want it to be routable and the detail in towns and citys is better but there's many smaller tracks that are missing.

Some of the tracks I use are created from having an idea, finding it on Google earth then turning it into a track (personally never use routes) so a there's also quite a few places where they don't show even on Olaf's maps and that's part of the diminishing fun imo ;):D

Tim, as you know I am planning a trip to Morocco in April/May (may be using Bilco's offer of shipping the bikes to Gib in a truck) - there will be two couples on a GSA and an RT so we will be tarmac only (especially as I possess no off road skill!) so would the Garmin mapping fully suit our purposes as we won't be using tracks.

I bought the Garmin Morocco maps, but as I've not been there before, can't comment on their accuracy or completeness. I chose the download version as then in my 595 I can have the maps on a 64gb micro SD card, and still have room on the card for music etc etc.

And, so I don't have to have the GPS connected when route planning in Basecamp, I cloned the maps as per this article: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Clone+GPSr onto a SD card which nicely sits in my laptop all of the time :)

Olaf was free and being a Yorkshire man that was the deciding factor clearly :D

If your not venturing off piste then Garmi might be a better way to go its probably a bit more upto date with newer road layouts.

As for the tracks on Olaf I dont think they have changed much over teh last 1000 years or more so your pretty safe

I'm a Mac user rather than PC/Windows. Can I still download and Olaf mapping or is it PC only?

I can't remember Lee, if not I'll put the mapping on a card for you.

I had massive problems with the Garmin maps when I tried them, as someone wrote above, some of the roads weren't connected up properly so you'd end up being routed all over the place. There were other problems as well such as the newer road numbering system(N, R, P) being used in detail view and the older numbering system from 15 years ago being shown in zoomed out mode. And then areas of the maps just wouldn't display at all.

The road system in Morocco is not complex and you only really need SatNav for towns and for off-tarmac riding. Olaf isn't routable but you stick in a waypoint in the general direction and follow it which works fine for me in towns.

Olaf was created by 4x4 and Adventure biker enthusiasts (including me) contributing their own tracks so if you see a track on Olaf you can be sure it is genuine. The Garmin map includes walking trails!!!

I can't stand Garmin Basecamp and use Mapsource on a Mac running via Parallels Desktop.

Back
Top Bottom