Trail Riding in Northern France

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience of what the score is for off roading in N France? Or, a link to any decent resources?

You know, sort of stuff like legality, real world legality, how to identify trails etc......

Cheers
Andres

I've been a few times but Timpo will be back from Portugal soon and may be more suited to point you in the right direction.....

Does anybody have experience of what the score is for off roading in N France? Or, a link to any decent resources?

You know, sort of stuff like legality, real world legality, how to identify trails etc......

Cheers
Andres

If you want hand holding Bike Normandy organise long weekend off road sessions. Very reasonable prices and include accommodation / food etc.

I've been a few times but Timpo will be back from Portugal soon and may be more suited to point you in the right direction.....

Ta Tim. If he doesn't stumble across this thread I'll drop him a line in the new year :)

If you want hand holding Bike Normandy organise long weekend off road sessions. Very reasonable prices and include accommodation / food etc.

To be honest Joe it's just an acorn of an idea at the moment for a bunch of us to maybe stay in the area and go out eating croissants most of the day interspersed with the odd bit of easy laning as and when the croissants run out so all I'm after are some ground rules on how it works out there so we can keep legal(ish) and not piss anybody off but thanks.

Andres

Don't know about the north but I'm in the Auvergne and there are enduro bikes everywhere

Lots of fields and woods so lots of trails and it's often a bit hilly cos it's all volcanic around here

Quite often see non road legal bikes taking shortcuts on tarmac in villages

Don't know if it's all legal or not but noone seems to mind so wtf this is France

Ta Tim. If he doesn't stumble across this thread I'll drop him a line in the new year :)

To be honest Joe it's just an acorn of an idea at the moment for a bunch of us to maybe stay in the area and go out eating croissants most of the day interspersed with the odd bit of easy laning as and when the croissants run out so all I'm after are some ground rules on how it works out there so we can keep legal(ish) and not piss anybody off but thanks.

Andres

No problem. Wishing you an awesome trip !

It's not as easy to find trails just from maps as it is in the uk. The equivalent to the OS map is the blue IGN maps but they won't show all trails and those they do show may not be accessible. Most decent sized supermarkets sell the IGN maps, as do many larger tabacs etc.
Legality wise, it's a lot more relaxed. If there's a track and there's no official private sign then theoretically you can ride it (unless it's in a national park). It should also be a car width wide but that rule is a bit hazy and often ignored. Green lanes are shared by all users in France so there's no distinction between footpaths, bridleways etc.
If we want to research a new area we tend to look for a nicely wooded area on the map and then just go explore but be warned that approach will see you doing a lot of u turns as many tracks go nowhere, except to a wood pile.
If you're short of time I would recommend getting a guide who knows the area. It will save you time and you should get to enjoy the best trails, suitable for you and your bikes.
Have fun! It's great trail riding over here.

Back
Top Bottom