N85 Gap to Grenoble

Khulu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2017:

Part of my roughly planned route will take me from Castellane to Gap on the N85. I was then intending to head into Italy from Gap but am wondering what the experienced collective here think of the Gap to Grenoble, heading north, stretch of road. I did RdGA north to south last year so it's only fair to Napoleon to visit the N85.:nenau:nenau

Route Napoleon is good from Castellane to Digne-Les-Bains. From there, get off it and take the D900 north (for a proper thrill, take the D900A through Barles). Personally, I'd then take the D954 to Savines-Les-Lac and then the N94 into Gap to rejoin the N85. It's a decent ride as far as La Mure - but very different to the RdGA. Much more like a British A-road on steroids. If you haven't ridden it, then it is definitely worth ticking off the list – it is a great ride, but clearly once you get into the final few miles around Grenoble, it's a bit busier and less fun.

Alternatives? Head west a fraction from Gap to pick up the D1075 - a great, fast road north. Or carry on east from Savines to pick up the RdGA again (worth considering if you'd be riding it in the opposite direction to your last trip). Personally, I'd take the N85 to La Mure, nip over to Bourg d'Oisan, up to Alpe d'Huez, then drop down the back of the hill to take the Col de la Croix de Fer, les lacettes de Montvernier, Col de la Madeleine, into Bourg St Maurice and then either take the two St Bernards to get into Switzerland or Cormet Roselend and the northern leg of the RdGA.

Nothing special, turn East at Gap and then you are spoilt for good routes.

Route Napoleon is good from Castellane to Digne-Les-Bains. From there, get off it and take the D900 north (for a proper thrill, take the D900A through Barles). Personally, I'd then take the D954 to Savines-Les-Lac and then the N94 into Gap to rejoin the N85. It's a decent ride as far as La Mure - but very different to the RdGA. Much more like a British A-road on steroids. If you haven't ridden it, then it is definitely worth ticking off the list – it is a great ride, but clearly once you get into the final few miles around Grenoble, it's a bit busier and less fun.

Alternatives? Head west a fraction from Gap to pick up the D1075 - a great, fast road north. Or carry on east from Savines to pick up the RdGA again (worth considering if you'd be riding it in the opposite direction to your last trip). Personally, I'd take the N85 to La Mure, nip over to Bourg d'Oisan, up to Alpe d'Huez, then drop down the back of the hill to take the Col de la Croix de Fer, les lacettes de Montvernier, Col de la Madeleine, into Bourg St Maurice and then either take the two St Bernards to get into Switzerland or Cormet Roselend and the northern leg of the RdGA.

Thanks for the feedback Simon - I know you've ridden a lot over there!

The D900/D900A/D954 sounds appealing.

My provisional route, for that day, is Castellane - N85 and then to Ome, Brescia. I am, however, considering adding another day and going via Barolo where I spent a lovely night on the local wine last year (I need to buy some more from a vineyard!) If I add the extra day and go via Barolo then I can head to Ome, on the next day, and pick up some cheese in Parma en route taking some more brilliant roads (aren't most them!)

My unknown was how much I'd miss by not doing the Gap to Grenoble section but you can't do them all at the same time!

Thanks again,

Iain :thumb2:thumb2

Vercor route

Khulu, I turned off at Sisteron and headed for the Vercor area, some fantastic narrow gorge roads and rock formations.

Attachments

• Sisteron to Grenoble (800x447).jpg
    Sisteron to Grenoble (800x447).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 568
  • Die to Grenoble (800x447).jpg
    Die to Grenoble (800x447).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 605
  • Le Claps (800x499).jpg
    Le Claps (800x499).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 573
  • Road up the Vercors plateau (800x424).jpg
    Road up the Vercors plateau (800x424).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 559
  • Road on the Combe Laval (800x405).jpg
    Road on the Combe Laval (800x405).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 555
I'm with Simon W-take the D900A through Barles then branch left on the D7 to route over the Col du Fanget.

Done it many times-always totally deserted but fantastic road !!

This is near Barles.Spot the bike !!

Here's what I'm talking about :

Lots of good suggestions as to alternative routes in this thread.

To me, it might depend on how much time you have available to complete the journey, as you allude to in post #4.

What I'd maybe do is pump the start and end points into ViaMichelin, which would give me the basic fastest route, probably straight down the main road. I'd then zoom the map in and out to see what other roads / routes might work for me, within the time period available. Some will work, some won't. Some can be joined up, some can't as there is a big block of rock in the way.

Whichever way you go, you'll have a great time. Trust me.

Lots of good suggestions as to alternative routes in this thread.

To me, it might depend on how much time you have available to complete the journey, as you allude to in post #4.

What I'd maybe do is pump the start and end points into ViaMichelin, which would give me the basic fastest route, probably straight down the main road. I'd then zoom the map in and out to see what other roads / routes might work for me, within the time period available. Some will work, some won't. Some can be joined up, some can't as there is a big block of rock in the way.

Whichever way you go, you'll have a great time. Trust me.

Thanks for all the good ideas - what you suggest is also what I generally do. That and "wing it" to a certain degree! Initially, I'm planning a blitz from home to Pamplona and then a meander towards the Dolomites and surrounding areas, for a few days, then on to the Black Sea and back to Austria for the MotoGP then home. If the bike wants to turn right instead of left then I'll go that way if it fits (that's what I used to do in the USA)!

Merry Christmas.

I'm with Simon W-take the D900A through Barles then branch left on the D7 to route over the Col du Fanget.

Done it many times-always totally deserted but fantastic road !!

This is near Barles.Spot the bike !!

Here's what I'm talking about :

Thanks Arsey - I can't see your photos at work but I'll check them out when I get home. Sounds good to me though.

Khulu, I turned off at Sisteron and headed for the Vercor area, some fantastic narrow gorge roads and rock formations.

Photos look great! I'll be heading north on the N85 as I'll be coming from the Verdon gorge. Thanks for the info. though as it's much appreciated.

A Fawkirk bairn helping another bairn oot! Brilliant!

Have a merry christmas.

I too would avoid the N85 time permitting, either taking RDGA to the East, or via the Vercors to the West - and if you have done RDGA before then I would suggest the Vercors route which has a mix of twisty roads and narrow gorges.

As Simon mentioned the D1075 is another alternative, and pretty decent in many places but can suffer from a bit of traffic, although probably less than the N85 does.

Was staying in Crest in September and went over Col De Rousset in Vercors area and past St Jean en Royans to Grenoble.
Very nice route if it suits your plans.
Can visit the Musee De Resistance in Vassieux as well if you have time.

DSC00711 (1024x768).jpg

Part of the Balcony route from St Jean en Royans to Villard de Lans was closed for repairs, but detours possible.

Back
Top Bottom