Recommendations for a short trip to Auld Reekie!

AndyR34

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Will be spending a few days in Edinburgh in a few weeks' time when we drop our daughter back off and I am bound to find a little time to spend getting my two-wheeled fix... anybody point me in the right direction for good bike shops (she's in Edinburgh Old Town and I'm hoping to leave the car and walk/bus it to any prospective outlets), Google seems to favour Saltires and Two-Wheels but if there are better or others I'd appreciate any normal UKGSer 'guidance'.

Ideally they could do with having a decent clothing/helemt department as I still haven't found a replacement for my Rukka jacket and I would like to try Schuberth lids in to get an idea about sizing/fit.

Many thanks - in anticipation :)

Andy

Bmw dealer is out to the south in Dalkeith only about 10 miles out. Other than that yes two wheels or saltire but I would personally rather ride to Newcastle than use any of the two of them. YMMV though. Edinburgh doesn't have a huge selection of bike shops these days unfortunately.

10 miles !!! It's about 6 miles, but Midlothian is another time zone.

Nearest Rukka dealer is Kirkcaldy, and I wouldn't even piss on him if he was on fire. As for schuberth, I know two wheels don't and I don't recall seeing any in Saltire today, but I was looking at an R1 so probably wasn't paying that much attention.

You're unlikely to get much choice locally now a day's. Sorry I can't be more help.

Andy,

Tried sending this as a PM, but your mailbox is full.....

"Hi Andy,

Hope you're enjoying the festive season.

Just thought I let you know that J&S in Aberdeen ordered in a couple of C3 Pro helmets just to let me try them (well they obviously thought they may get a sale, but weren't put out when I decided to think about it).

I'm hoping the sizing is about the same for the C4, as that seems a better system.

Iain"

Andy,

Tried sending this as a PM, but your mailbox is full.....

"Hi Andy,

Hope you're enjoying the festive season.

Just thought I let you know that J&S in Aberdeen ordered in a couple of C3 Pro helmets just to let me try them (well they obviously thought they may get a sale, but weren't put out when I decided to think about it).

I'm hoping the sizing is about the same for the C4, as that seems a better system.

Iain"

Cheers Iain,
Inbox cleared and info appreciated, will take a run in to J&S Aberdeen and see what they're like.
Festivities are going well, daughter's home and have stripped the GAS for a good scrub (a bit of Muse, Pearl Jam and Hendrix on the IPod and up to my eyeballs in WD40 and SDoc100 - Cool!), short of free wine, what could be better?! :)
Have a great one too and will see you in the New Year.
Andy

Could hop on a train and go to J&S and Infinity in Glasgow. Would've thought a wider choice.

Ideally they could do with having a decent clothing/helemt department as I still haven't found a replacement for my Rukka jacket and I would like to try Schuberth lids in to get an idea about sizing/fit.

Many thanks - in anticipation :)

Andy

That reads like - all you are going to do.......... is try on gear for size - and then order online? :nenau

Could be wrong, of course.

Al

That reads like - all you are going to do.......... is try on gear for size - and then order online? :nenau

Could be wrong, of course.

Al

Morning Al,
Living in Moray I am limited by the amount of support I can give my 'local' outlet (even less choice up here!), so I suppose you are right in that I'm going to shop around for the best deal, and this will include online (Europe-wide), a few additional factors:
I'm not minted;
I like good value for money (cue comments on Rukka/Schuberth et al);
Even sizes I'm used to (Rukka etc.), model styles change so trying on is essential if I want to avoid returns;
I'm interested in trying new brands;
Online is the high street of the 'now'! - the increase in online outlets is clearly evident ('local' loyalty or outlet loyalty?);
Colours and fit are best judged in person, not via a glossy advert;
I'm Scottish ;-)

Andy

A day pass on Lothian buses will take you all over the city and even out to Dalkeith. Get the postcodes for Saltire, Motorrad etc and then use the Lothian buses website to get the routes. Buses to Glasgow operate every 15 mins from the main bus station. Search on Citylink For timetables. From the old town, you could walk to Saltire, Two Wheels (Honda and Triumph) in 30 mins or so. Apart from the hills, Embra is a walking city. Iyswim!

Alternatively, there's a lot more to do in the city than visit bike shops!

If you're passing through Dundee you've got JC's for BMW gear, Ecosse do Held clothing and Arai helmets, Murray's did Schuberth in the past (but may want to call to confirm) they also do Shoei and I know he can get Rukka but don't know if they carry them in stock. There is also Skinners and Harties but neither have a big range of clothing.

Well, managed to pop into Saltires and was pleasantly surprised, good range of bikes/gear/training school (wife has decided the time is right for her to do her test and join me on my trips :) - and this means there will be more bikes permitted in the garage!).

The guys and girls in the shop were very helpful, not pushy and well informed about new products and arrival dates etc. will pop back down in March to see the new laminated Rev-it jackets.

Cheers for the advice all,

Andy

Well, managed to pop into Saltires and was pleasantly surprised, good range of bikes/gear/training school (wife has decided the time is right for her to do her test and join me on my trips :) - and this means there will be more bikes permitted in the garage!).

The guys and girls in the shop were very helpful, not pushy and well informed about new products and arrival dates etc. will pop back down in March to see the new laminated Rev-it jackets.

Cheers for the advice all,

Andy

I'll copy this to my friend Calum Murray who owns Saltire Motorcycles. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear that his staff looked after you well. :thumb2

I'll copy this to my friend Calum Murray who owns Saltire Motorcycles. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear that his staff looked after you well. :thumb2

No problems, I think the guy who spent a good half hour with us was called "Russ", nice bloke and just the right level of attention :)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom