Corrosion?

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My GS LC is coming up to three years ago old, so it's time to settle up the PCP or sign up for a new one. As I'm more than p*ssed off with the dreaded white flecks of corrosion starting to appear on the 3000 mile old engine which was replaced last April, I'm toying with the idea of a 2017 S1000XR.

Does the XR suffer from the same corrosion problems or are they better built?

My GS LC is coming up to three years ago old, so it's time to settle up the PCP or sign up for a new one. As I'm more than p*ssed off with the dreaded white flecks of corrosion starting to appear on the 3000 mile old engine which was replaced last April, I'm toying with the idea of a 2017 S1000XR.

I think they all do to some extent especially if used all year round

It is my considered opinion that my XR is of a better build quality than was my GSA LC
Mine is coming up for 2 years old now and there is no hint of any corrosion any where on the bike although the chain did go a bit rusty over last winter.

All that said I don't use it in the winter but it did see salt in the spring on a trip to Scotlandshire

It is my considered opinion that my XR is of a better build quality than was my GSA LC
Mine is coming up for 2 years old now and there is no hint of any corrosion any where on the bike although the chain did go a bit rusty over last winter.

All that said I don't use it in the winter but it did see salt in the spring on a trip to Scotlandshire

Now you think of it the 800 is nearly 3 years old as has no corrosion at all and used all year round the twin cam showed a few signs at 2 years old on the hubs

I ride my XR all year round, and other than a couple of flecks on the inside of the chain, there is no corrosion anywhere on the bike. Saying that though, I used my last GSA LC all year round, and there was no corrosion on that either.;)

MY GSA LC is now 2.5 years old, over 22,000 miles, used all year round (in fact, more miles in winter than summer) and, other than the centre stand, no visible signs of corrosion. Yet, I was looking at a GSA a couple of weeks ago that is about to have it's frame changed under warranty, it was less than a year old, only a few thousand miles, one side of the frame looked like new, the other side was heavily pitted and looked like it was years old. Very odd. It looks like it's pot luck with regard to quality. :rolleyes:

Bob

No corrosion whatsoever on my XR (2015). IMHO the paint and build quality on my XR is much better than on my 2013 GS LC.

I think they all do to some extent especially if used all year round

My engine was replaced in April. I noticed the white flecks reappearing in June whenI returned from holiday and it hadn't even seen a wet road :blast Now winter's here, a cold, damp garage is making it worse. My VFR800FIY and K1200S never suffered the same

I've noticed on my 2015 XR has signs of corrosion on the sump. It's a breeding ground due to the design of the exhaust headers going either side of the sump.

I've recently bought a can of this postage is pricey so get two or three cans.

http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/corrosion-x/

It's thicker than ACF 50, remains looking shiny and soaks Into nooks & crannies
It cleans off with Gunk or Jizer so apply in autumn and wash off in spring.
ACF smells better but parts I've treated always seem to need doing every time I look.

Nope, my S1000XR, 2015 build, is the best BMW by far. My last 2 GS were shite.

Absolutely NO acf50 on my 2015, and it still looks immaculate. The finish on the XR is impeccable. Why can't they do the same on the GS?:nenau

the chain on mine seems to go rusty however i treat it and i treat it very regularly

My 1100 GS has a bit of rust, especially on the chain... (it lies on the drive when bike not padlocked) bike used all year with 105k on clock... may have to complain to BMW as its not even 20 years old yet!

Back
Top Bottom