Tour of Portugal in May 2017

byron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tour of Portugal in May 2017
I'm just starting to plan a trip for next summer to Portugal. As the basis I am using the Ride magazine tour of Portugal and also including several of their circular routes. The total duration the trip will be 14 or 15 days. The ferry bookings from either Portsmouth or Plymouth seems quite full so a lot will depend on the chosen dates and how many riders.
At the moment I'm thinking about travelling on either the end of the second or third week in May as I wouldn't want the weather to be too warm. After every few days riding I am planning rest or circular tours to suit all. I'm looking for no more than three guys to join me in the trip with one of my friends already pencilled in. Riding across Portugal will be something like 2500 to 3000 miles in total but there is the possibility of several rest days if you don't fancy the ride outs from the three stopover locations. The riding style will be relaxed and sticking to speed limits with a regular stops for photographs and coffee and meals.

Day One Santander to Sahagun 140 miles
Day Two Sahagun to Vila Real 245 miles
Day Three Vila Real to Serta 205 miles
Day Four Rest day or 190 mile mountain tour
Day Five Serta to Luz 270 miles
Day Six Luz - Rest day at the coast
Day Seven Luz to Elvas 245 miles
Day Eight Rest day or castle tour 205 miles
Day Nine Elvas to Covilha 225 miles
Day Ten Rest day or Portuguese Stelvio 160 miles
Day Eleven Covilha to Chaves 200 miles
Day Twelve Chaves to Astorga 225 miles
Day Thirteen Astorga to Santander 230 miles

At the moment my favourite dates are the 10th or 12 May to travel out and return on either the 23rd, 24th or 25th of May. The cost for the ferry looks like between £375 and £400 return and that includes the cabin.
I will book all the hotels for the route and typically three or four star accommodation would be my choice with the securest possible parking.
During the last 12 months I have used the Ride magazine routes twice as planning the is absolutely superb. So I think we can be guaranteed and enjoyable trip.
Regards
Byron

To anyone thinking of putting themselves up for this trip. I accompanied Byron on a 10 day ride magazine trip of the Pyrenees. That would be Sept 2015. Byron organised the ferry and all hotels. In fact he did a excellent job. He is meticulous in his planning, this is not a thrown together event.

Who ever joins in on this trip can be assured of good company. Despite his quote "relaxed" riding style he is well capable on hustling his RT around when circumstances required.

Steve

We did the Ride magazine Portugal trip last year with a few revisions to suit our own timetable and tastes, it's an excellent ride, we experienced almost empty roads (may have had something to do with the heatwave Portugal was experiencing at the time) and found the Hotels to be good and reasonably priced, food and beer seemed to be lower than U.K. prices although petrol was about the same or slightly more expensive, in rural areas fill up where you can as petrol stations are sparse in the sticks.
A great trip and one I would do again without making any changes, my ride report is here; http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431571-In-search-of-the-Portugese-Stelvio

To anyone thinking of putting themselves up for this trip. I accompanied Byron on a 10 day ride magazine trip of the Pyrenees. That would be Sept 2015. Byron organised the ferry and all hotels. In fact he did a excellent job. He is meticulous in his planning, this is not a thrown together event.

Who ever joins in on this trip can be assured of good company. Despite his quote "relaxed" riding style he is well capable on hustling his RT around when circumstances required.

Steve
Thanks Steve - they are very kind comments

Hi Byron

I'm in mate if I didn't get on your nerves too much on the Pyrenees trip, my misses says I probably did but she's just biased!
Was looking to do something earlier this year so this would suit me very well, fed up with waiting till September every year, gives me a chance to sneak in a trip around Scotland later on too
Hope your well mate
Hi to Steve c too
Danny

Hi Byron,

Basically the message was to say that I was interested and request more details if you have them.
I am very flexible with the dates you propose.
I have re sent the PM..........................I would be interested to know if you receive it OK this time?
Regards,
John

This trip is now full with one reserve. Thanks for all the people who showed interest and perhaps we can travel on my next trip .

Back
Top Bottom