Honda Xr

Marlou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A little advice or rather your thoughts. I am looking at getting a green laner and fancy something old school. I like the XR in either 400 or 250 guise but am unsure if the kick start only will get on my tits.

Could i ask what people think of them, my budget is £1300 max so they fit into that category perfectly.

thoughts please

Oh an if anyones got something at that price please let me know

Cheers :thumb

They are quite old now and many have been bodged up over the years buy carefully or very cheap and expect to rebuild it.

They kick off easy enough once you get used to doing it if its a pig to start its well worm or badly set up.

They are quite rubust and take knocks ok but some of the more modern bikes are far better for not much more money

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've had about 10 over the last 20 years, more 250's than 400's

However I now have a 400 and love it

They really are a good package, with a decent chassis and suspension with enough power to handle it

Comfy too, with all the road going niceties in stock form

Kickstarting - it's crucial that all is set up well - carb and auto decompressor

Once they are, they are a cinch to start, with a procedure once followed yields results

Mine starts first time warm and within 4-5 kicks cold

I usually empty carb of fuel, after every ride

I also have a DR350SE and this is a good bike, chassis and suspension not in the same league as the XR400 though

XR400 prices are rising now, attaining cult status

I have done many thousands of miles on X-R 250's 400's and BAja's in Cambodia
The 400 is netter for me T 6 Foot Six , the power is stronger. Having said that my last trip was on an XR 250 with electric start )Japanese import to Cambodia). It was very low mileage and a peach to ride . Either way act fast as they are going up in price fast . You'll love any of them . Set up for starting as Johnny says is vital . Great bikes ��

A few years back now I had the choice of both the DRZ400 and an XR400 to ride anytime I wanted and i almost exclusively took the DRZ, there was nothing between them off road for me, the only real difference was the leccy boot, i'm short in the leg and it was just so easy. Meant nothing really until you were stuck deep in the shit somewhere and stalled, then i was so glad of the thumb power start.
XR's are very capable though and I doubt i'd turn one down if I fancied something else dirty!

I had an XR250 for a few years and have ridden in groups with XR 250s and 400s more times than I can remember.

Having read the replies so far and accepting the correct set-up makes them start easily, it is obvious none of the XRs I have ridden with (and still do) were set up properly, including my own. It was an absolute bitch to start from hot. Kicking for days on end in a deep mud pool, overheating in a boil-in-the-bag winter suit was quite common for me and the others. I always looked enviously at my mate's XR400 with electric start. When it did start though it was fantastic.

It's the starting that most people have mentioned before (bugger to start) sounds like its the setting up then... I don't want to add any more cash as I'm just starting and convincing the wife was hard enough (self employed, broken leg, blah blah).

I will try and find a 400 if poss as I'm 6'1 and by the sounds of things the 250's are a little smaller. don't care on colour etc and may look for a project.

I've got a 400 in the garage at the moment but have owned a 250 in the past. The lecky boot on the 250 is useful but I much prefer the 400. You'll struggle to find a good one in your budget though, 2k for a nice one and 2.5K if it's a pippin. 15/43 gearing works best, you'll keep up on the road and still good when the going gets snotty. Just stay away from the throttle when kicking it over!

Cheers Peak,

Think if I'm heading down the £2500 route i will have a look at a CRF250/400x.

If I were buying again I'd go down the CRF route having seen a few on the European rallies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update, managed to get myself a WR250FV (2006) needs a little TLC but its leccy start and great fun :clap.

Thanks for all you input, much appriciated :bow.

Back
Top Bottom