The Lakes or Yorkshire Dales?

Wapping

Reaction score
Leaving aside regional political sectarian rivalries, if a bod staying in Dent has just one day in spring to drive a very decent proper sports car around the area, does he drive over to the Lakes or crack-on around the Yorkshire Dales?

Due to its front spoiler, the car has limited frontal ground clearance *, so goat tracks - no matter how scenic - are out.

So, which of the two areas has the bragging rights over the 'great roads, great views, mate'? My head says it's the Yorkshire Dales but open to persuasion.

* It'll 'scruuusch' on some badly shaped speed calming measures and into some petrol stations with poor access slopes.

For driving I would definitely go The Dales.
The Lakes gets far too crowded to make driving enjoyable, quite often only average around 20 mph in the tourist season.
I think the Dales has far more long sweeping roads whereas in the Lakes it's stop start all the way.

Sounds like the car won't allow you to do the passes in the lakes, so for that reason I'd go for the dales. Have a look at the 21 Dales route, it gives a good all-round experience of the Dales and all of the roads should be manageable.

Why not do it in a more capable car ?

Dent itself has heavily cobbled streets. Be careful of the 'scruuusch' when you blast through it.:D

Dales every time, quieter roads , less traffic, passess like Butter tups simply stunning. Just watch out for Micky he is up there often

The M6 is close by, you can see the bits your missing if you'd left the car at home.

Edit....Dales if your to wussy to come on the bike.

The Dales No argument !

The lakes are lovely but very frustrating due to the amount of tourist drivers that just want to go slowly and take in the views closely followed by several hundred like minded souls who will not overtake

Also try out north Yorkshire around Helmsley and whitby some cracking roads.

in April during the mid week the lakes should not be too bad , id do a loop from lowness around through ambleside and head back via the ferry to lowness. then head off over the kirkstone pass stopping at Ullswater. carrying on will take you to the main M6 junction of Penrith, but cross straight over and head back south over the Shap into the dales and home. Passes like the HArdknot might not be any use to you with a low spoiler,...( dont ask how i know )

NEITHER

For more driving pleasure, lack of speed camera vans and traffic in general

You want the North Pennine areas of Weardale/Teesdale and into the Scottish Borders (in and around Kielder Water)

You will have a far better driving experience in terms of scenery (bleakness) and the roads are generally less lumpy and bumpy and are faster and more flowing

Don't consider anywhere south of the A66, would be my advice................in a sports car (you can't take advantage in the Dales, like you can on a bike and you'll be mithered with fuckwits)

Base yourself in Alston/Middleton in Teesdale/Bellingham/Allendale or some such

Dales for me every time. JB has a point, but if it is a choice of only the two you've mentioned then I'd stay over here. I recall a day this summer where I passed four camera vans or cops with hand held speed detection devices, but they were all on the A684 area between Leyburn and Bentham, the Devils Bridge route. But if you leave the recognised biker routes there are some great driving roads to be had which are largely ignored by enforcement, and still suitable for your car. One of my favourites in the Westfield is the road from West Burton to Skipton, and back to Ribblesdale.

NEITHER

For more driving pleasure, lack of speed camera vans and traffic in general

You want the North Pennine areas of Weardale/Teesdale and into the Scottish Borders (in and around Kielder Water)

You will have a far better driving experience in terms of scenery (bleakness) and the roads are generally less lumpy and bumpy and are faster and more flowing

Don't consider anywhere south of the A66, would be my advice................in a sports car (you can't take advantage in the Dales, like you can on a bike and you'll be mithered with fuckwits)

Base yourself in Alston/Middleton in Teesdale/Bellingham/Allendale or some such

This is very good advice actually and had not occurred to me as i was focused on the question asked

I would be heading elsewhere, the Yorkshire moors, kielder forest or the borders, apart from the road from Hawes to Ingleston there's nowhere suitable for a decent sports car.

I was coming back from Hawes the week before last towards Askrigg and parked up in a gateway was a Maclaren so I slowed to have a look, about 300 yards behind him also in a gateway was a P1 so I stopped for a chat and they were working out where to go as they were getting worried about the roads and walls and they just said it was really uncomfortable driving and they were fed up.

There are some really trick and expensive cars up here but you only see them out going towards the A1.

So, in time honoured Wapping stylee advice........................go North young man, in your Cayman

Your efforts will be rewarded, my Yorkshire dwelling cohorts have concluded the same

Why Dent, in Spring?

The bit between Edinburgh and the A66, is a better prospect (and don't forget the middle lands of Dumfries and Galloway too)....................but don't head any further east than the A1

What JB says. Get north of A66 if only for the Middleton to Alston road alone on a low sports car.

But back to the OP, the Dales NOT the Lakes. Definitely NOT the Lakes. Its bad enough on the bike never mind a car.

What JB says. Get north of A66 if only for the Middleton to Alston road alone on a low sports car.

But back to the OP, the Dales NOT the Lakes. Definitely NOT the Lakes. Its bad enough on the bike never mind a car.

Despite living within a couple of hours ride or drive to the Lakes.............I can't remember the last time I went

Unless you are going for hill walking, it's a god awful place to drive through, sinewy small roads that reach every nook and cranny of the many lakes, making overtakes impossible

Too many folks too

I rarely enjoy driving in the Lakes, be it m'bike or car. Far too many tourists and even the main roads are really narrow, which means that you are always dicing with the hedgerows and walls on the nearside.

Yorkshire Dales are a much nicer place to tootle or hoon around in.

But I think JB has the best idea. We went on an organised ride-out (with Williams M'cr) last May up to Peebles: the route took us up through the Dales (nice but still busy until north of of Grassington), but the revelation was the moors and valleys of Teesdale and Wearside. The roads were pretty much empty and fantastic driving roads to boot. Definately went into our "must go back" list

Leaving aside regional political sectarian rivalries, if a bod staying in Dent has just one day in spring to drive a very decent proper sports car around the area, does he drive over to the Lakes or crack-on around the Yorkshire Dales?

Due to its front spoiler, the car has limited frontal ground clearance *, so goat tracks - no matter how scenic - are out.

So, which of the two areas has the bragging rights over the 'great roads, great views, mate'? My head says it's the Yorkshire Dales but open to persuasion.

* It'll 'scruuusch' on some badly shaped speed calming measures and into some petrol stations with poor access slopes.

Do both a year apart.

Back
Top Bottom