Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotels in Dolomites

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hotels in Dolomites

Planning to spend around 10 days in the Dolomites in August with my partner. I've downloaded dozens of routes - many more than we'll have time to ride. Can anyone recommend towns/villages and hotels that we can use as a base. Not looking for anything particularly luxurious.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    We stayed in Arabba in 2012 - can't remember the name of the hotel (pm Wapping, he will). Excellent base for touring the Dolomites and quite close to Cortina which is up market.
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Hotel Olympia in Arraba,stayed twice for several days. In August gets very busy and there are plan afoot to restrict access to pass roads during day time.
    Alleghe is very nice as is Corovara. Always seems to be places to stay in wherever you go.

You could try any one of these hotels, all biker oriented up in the Dolomiti : -

Hotel Condor, Enneberg/St. Vigil < www.dolomoto.com >
    Hotel Mondschein Stenk/Eggental < www.hotel-mondschein.it >
    Hotel Gran Paradis, Campitello di Fassa < www.granparadis.com >

Alternatively, stay down in the vinyards & orchards along the Adige Valley - there you are not locked into mountain rides if the weather is poor, so more flexibility. The cities of Trento & Bolzano/Bozen are both worth a visit & Lake Garda is always attractive, albeit busy at peak periods. We usually stay at the Hotel Teutschhaus, Kurtinig a.d.W, a typical family run village hotel on the Wine Route. They have a decent pool, sauna & garaging for the bikes. Try < www.teutschhaus.it >

Enjoy the trip ...................... KEN

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    A group of us stayed at Hotel Garně Laurino, Cavalese last June. Recommended

I agree that Corvara makes a nice base - a group from here stayed in this hotel a few km out of Corvara a while ago http://www.hotelcristallo-altabadia....ome-page/index - perhaps outside your price range now

With 10 days in the Dolomites I would use at least 2 bases, probably 3 and do day trips from each base. The Brenta Dolomites (Molveno and Madonna di Campiglio) are nice for a few days. I have done day trips into this area from a base on the Northern end of Lake Garda.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hotel

Hi

Hotel Evaldo is also a great hotel in arabba,secure garage, bike washing if thats your thing, big car park,great food and friendly owners as well.

http://www.hotelevaldo.it/en/hotel-dolomites/1-0.html

Dave

Arabba

Stayed here a few years ago:-

http://www.albergopordoi.it/

Right in the middle of Arabba with a superb garage underneath for secure bike parking. Excellent restaurant.
    Arabba is a nice central point for some great routes and passes. it's at a fairly high altitude - so a wee bit cooler, both day and night, in the height of summer.

Cheers...................Grizzly

If you are going to the Dolomites (or indeed any mountains) try and find a location that is on a crossroad or T-junction, reasonably close to the centre of the majority of roads that you'll want to ride. Why? Most mountain roads follow valleys, divided by huge lumps of impassible rock, limiting the direction you are able to take from A to B. Being on a junction, increases the directions you can take from your hotel's garage in the morning and increases the directions you can take to return in the evening.

Being in the middle of the roads you intend to ride, saves you having to ride there each day from somewhere else; Arabba, as mentioned above, very often fits the bill admirably. Booking.com lists near enough 40 in the town itself or within 2.5 miles of the centre. Me? I'd stay in one no further than 0.50 mile of the middle.

That being said, there are lots and lots of hotels in the whole Dolomites region, catering for all tastes and expenses. They all love bikers, walkers, bicyclists and car drivers.

PS
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasMill View Post
    We stayed in Arabba in 2012 - can't remember the name of the hotel (pm Wapping, he will).
    It was the Alpenrose. It's a B&B hotel *, about 0.50 miles from the centre. As it does not serve evening meals, it's cheaper per night than many of the OK there in the town but is very well presented and otherwise fine for a stay. The lack of an evening restaurant doesn't matter, as it's only a walk back down the hill into town, where there are lots of other hotels and restaurants to eat in.

I have also stayed twice or three times at the Evaldo, which others have mentioned. It's OK, for sure. However, I'd maybe now prefer the Alpenrose or one of the smaller hotels in Arabba.

* Not in the sense of a B&B hotel or guest house in the UK, which is most often associated with images of room in someone's house.

If you want something different I would highly recommend Hotel Al Forte:

http://www.alforte.com/en/

Part of the Hotel is in an old WW1 Fort, the accommodation building is modern, clean and comfy, prices seem reasonable - we are going back there again this year.

I have also heard great things about Evaldo as well but not stayed there myself.

Al Forte is couple of miles out of town but we where happy with the Hotel bar and food (Half board was very good with choice of evening meals and waiter service)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgsadv View Post
    Hotel Olympia in Arraba,stayed twice for several days. In August gets very busy and there are plan afoot to restrict access to pass roads during day time.
    Alleghe is very nice as is Corovara. Always seems to be places to stay in wherever you go.
    We stayed there a couple of years ago. Very friendly staff, great food, and a well stocked bar. Well, it was when we arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    If you want something different I would highly recommend Hotel Al Forte:

http://www.alforte.com/en/

Part of the Hotel is in an old WW1 Fort, the accommodation building is modern, clean and comfy, prices seem reasonable - we are going back there again this year.

I have also heard great things about Evaldo as well but not stayed there myself.

Al Forte is couple of miles out of town but we where happy with the Hotel bar and food (Half board was very good with choice of evening meals and waiter service)
    Thanks Rasher that's just what I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Dave h View Post
    Hi

Hotel Evaldo is also a great hotel in arabba,secure garage, bike washing if thats your thing, big car park,great food and friendly owners as well.

http://www.hotelevaldo.it/en/hotel-dolomites/1-0.html

Dave
    I will second this one having stayed there before,also has a pool and steam rooms/spa underneath which is excellent.

I'm staying at the Hotel Col di Lana, Pordoi Pass this summer. Never been before but it's handy for doing a shit load of passes in that area.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by squibb34 View Post
    You could try any one of these hotels, all biker oriented up in the Dolomiti : -

Hotel Condor, Enneberg/St. Vigil < www.dolomoto.com >
    Hotel Mondschein Stenk/Eggental < www.hotel-mondschein.it >
    Hotel Gran Paradis, Campitello di Fassa < www.granparadis.com >

Alternatively, stay down in the vinyards & orchards along the Adige Valley - there you are not locked into mountain rides if the weather is poor, so more flexibility. The cities of Trento & Bolzano/Bozen are both worth a visit & Lake Garda is always attractive, albeit busy at peak periods. We usually stay at the Hotel Teutschhaus, Kurtinig a.d.W, a typical family run village hotel on the Wine Route. They have a decent pool, sauna & garaging for the bikes. Try < www.teutschhaus.it >

Enjoy the trip ...................... KEN
    +1 for the Condor
    R100GSPD The Spearmint Rhino
    R1200GSA MANFRED - The Red Baron
    R1200GS The Golden Wonder. It was Golden and its a wonder I never fell off it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast