Locating First Aid box behind number plate

RSavage

Reaction score
I thought that I would share this idea for where to fit an accessible first aid kit. I hasten to add that it is not my idea.

I sourced an ex-demo Pelicase 1200 from eBay along with a couple of stainless steel P clamps and assorted bolts, nuts and washers. The Pelicase is simply bolted to the numberplate mount and the stabilising cross bar for the panniers. The number plate is fixed to the cover of the Pelicase with number plate stickers. I mounted the case with the clips at the bottom because they require quite a bit of effort to open and close, and I wanted that force to be taken by the metal cross bar rather than the plastic numberplate bracket. There was a concern that the contents of the box might empty onto the ground but this doesn't happen.

This is a trauma first aid kit, i.e. no plasters or stomach cement etc, that I hope never to use but which is always on the bike just in case. I carry an, additional, travel first aid kit in the luggage when away.

Hope it is of interest.

Happy New Year

Richard

P.S. I have added a number plate light sourced from Hein Gericke (as was). My MOT tester has confirmed that they are not tested as part of the bike MOT test but he suggested that adding one is prudent because a zealous police officer might be over-conscious of the test and use approvals for bikes.

R

Attachments

• FA 1.jpg
    FA 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,205
  • FA 2.jpg
    FA 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • FA 3.jpg
    FA 3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,348
  • FA 4.jpg
    FA 4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,135
Interesting project. What about the effects of the additional weight, including the first aid contents, on the mounting points?

Interesting project. What about the effects of the additional weight, including the first aid contents, on the mounting points?

No noticeble effects from the additional weight. The first aid kit weighs nothing in the scheme of things as it contains only a battlefield trauma dressing, a tourniquet, gloves and sheers and a few other bits. I wouldn't fit it without the pannier stabiliser.

Richard

I have one of those cases somewhere and a few p clips. Might give that a go. As you say, a sealed and forget about it in case of emergency box. Hi-Vis vest and some other bits. I carry one of those annoyingly bright flashing LED bike lights to use like a warning lamp in case I break down that'd fit in there nicely.

I have one of those cases somewhere and a few p clips. Might give that a go. As you say, a sealed and forget about it in case of emergency box. Hi-Vis vest and some other bits. I carry one of those annoyingly bright flashing LED bike lights to use like a warning lamp in case I break down that'd fit in there nicely.

Which annoying lights Matt? Do you mean the rotating things from Lidl that look like a large hockey puck?

Mines similar to one of those (saw them too). Just something to draw attention if you can't get bike off the road.

I carry a quite extensive first aid kit on my trips and have though about where to carry it. I looked there but I thought it was a little exposed to the elements and couldn't be certain of a watertight seal and be crash and vibration proof.

I really don't like top boxes so I have a small Verns box on the rack which my kit fits nicely into and is easily accessible. I have a few breakable bits and bobs in teh kit so it seems a better place up there given some of the pounding the bike takes up in Alaska.

Saying that Richard, that looks a neat job and ideal for road work.:thumb2

I think the sale price was about £20 but I could be wrong - I didn't buy one as someone had got me one for xmas.

What was the price in the sale.

Also can you lock the peli case?

Sorry for not replying to other, earlier, comments this is the first notification that I have received regarding this thread in a long time.

The Peli case has holes that could be used for locking with a long-shackle padlock - I think! I will check and get back to you.

Richard

One thing I would add is that I placed the Peli case hinge at the top because the clips require a fair bit of effort to close and open. I didn't want to subject the number plate bracket to this force and having the clips at the bottom means that I can, easily, support the back of the case with one hand whilst operating the clip with the other hand.

Further thought about locking: I'm not sure that I would want to rely on someone looking for a key to the box if I was the one on the receiving end of its contents but was not able to supply the key.

Bit too bulky for me. I have thought about getting one of those after market number plate storage boxes linked above. You could probably get a couple of combat tourniquets, Israeli dressings, first field dressings and haemostatic dressings inside. More than enough for a basic trauma kit.

Bit too bulky for me. I have thought about getting one of those after market number plate storage boxes linked above. You could probably get a couple of combat tourniquets, Israeli dressings, first field dressings and haemostatic dressings inside. More than enough for a basic trauma kit.

I know what you mean Stephen but I have seen a slimline box similar to that shown in the Amazon link in use and was far from impressed. The biggest disadvantage that I saw demonstrated was the way that everything dropped out of the box and had to be gathered up and carried to where it was needed. It may be that the version I saw was slimmer than the Amazon version but certainly it was not deep enough to accomodate a bag carrying the kit.

What is an Israeli dressing?

My kit contains contains only a trauma dressing, a battlefield tourniquet, gloves and shears and a few other bits. It is, effectively, a single-use kit.

Cheers

Richard

I carry a quite extensive first aid kit on my trips and have though about where to carry it. I looked there but I thought it was a little exposed to the elements and couldn't be certain of a watertight seal and be crash and vibration proof.

I really don't like top boxes so I have a small Verns box on the rack which my kit fits nicely into and is easily accessible. I have a few breakable bits and bobs in teh kit so it seems a better place up there given some of the pounding the bike takes up in Alaska.

Saying that Richard, that looks a neat job and ideal for road work.:thumb2

Hi Sgt Bilco

Peli cases are rated to IP67. Of course I have compromised that by drilling two holes for the P clip bolts but even though those bolts are perfectly placed to receive maximum water battering from the rear wheel I have not noticed any water ingress.

If I had the GS rather than a GSA I would look seriously at the smuggler's boxes which fit under the rear rack. Or there is the box which replaces the rear seat.

Cheers

Richard

I know what you mean Stephen but I have seen a slimline box similar to that shown in the Amazon link in use and was far from impressed. The biggest disadvantage that I saw demonstrated was the way that everything dropped out of the box and had to be gathered up and carried to where it was needed. It may be that the version I saw was slimmer than the Amazon version but certainly it was not deep enough to accomodate a bag carrying the kit.

What is an Israeli dressing?

My kit contains contains only a trauma dressing, a battlefield tourniquet, gloves and shears and a few other bits. It is, effectively, a single-use kit.

Cheers

Richard

Yeah that's something worth considering, perhaps chuck it all in a big ziplock.

An Israeli dressing is about the best trauma dressing in the the world. It's like a first field dressing in that its a sterile self contained single unit but with a compression bandage, a pressure applicator and closure bar so you get really get good direct pressure over a wound, it can also work like tourniquet. Loads of videos of YouTube.

Its stuff you're never going to want to open unless its a fucking messy accident, almost everything else will come out of the routine first aid kit. A couple of Guedel or OP (oropharyngeal) airways are useful too but you need to know how to use them.

Yeah that's something worth considering, perhaps chuck it all in a big ziplock.

An Israeli dressing is about the best trauma dressing in the the world. It's like a first field dressing in that its a sterile self contained single unit but with a compression bandage, a pressure applicator and closure bar so you get really get good direct pressure over a wound, it can also work like tourniquet. Loads of videos of YouTube.

Its stuff you're never going to want to open unless its a fucking messy accident, almost everything else will come out of the routine first aid kit. A couple of Guedel or OP (oropharyngeal) airways are useful too but you need to know how to use them.

Thanks.

My kit - minus the tourniquet - is from the Ashford fire service course for motorbike first aid and is purely a 'keep alive until the experts arrive' kit by doing only things that a faintly trained amateur can do at a messy accident where the consequence of doing nothing is death. They said that the tourniquet was advisable but that they were not permitted to issue them. A friend who is a an A+E nurse explained and demonstrated its use.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks.

My kit - minus the tourniquet - is from the Ashford fire service course for motorbike first aid and is purely a 'keep alive until the experts arrive' kit by doing only things that a faintly trained amateur can do at a messy accident where the consequence of doing nothing is death. They said that the tourniquet was advisable but that they were not permitted to issue them. A friend who is a an A+E nurse explained and demonstrated its use.

Cheers

Richard

Yeah, keeping the casualty alive until proper medics arrive is really the only priority. Civi first aid courses rarely if ever cover use of tourniquet techniques but having had some training from combat medics they swear by them. The school of thought was basically if in doubt use one as you're highly unlikely to make it worse when its a choice of apply a tourniquet or death from severe blood loss. No amount of blue plasters and eye wash is going to stop an arterial bleeder, LOL. But a good field dressing with or without a Quickclot agent will pay dividends.

AFAIC its ABC and stopping major blood loss until the ambo or helicopter arrives that's important, so if you can maintain an airway, do CPR where necessary and stop a serious bleed that's all that really matters. Civi's can't carry a defib, ALS drugs and admin fluids. And if the casualty has a life threatening fracture you're not moving them or be able to do anything significant, I certainly won't have any serious immobilisation and extraction devices in my pannier.

Everyday first aid kits are only good for minor everyday niggles or the low priority walking wounded IMO - burning your finger on the exhaust pipe, cutting your hand open on a broken beer bottle because you've lost your bottle opener, vodka hangover from the Russian bike club in the pitch next door, scraping your knuckles replacing a tube, diarrhoea from a dodgy side of the road shashlik vendor, crotch rot from riding all day in the hot weather, petrol in the eyes from a 19th century communist fuel pump, Trench foot and blisters from riding in the cold rain blah blah blah...

Yeah, keeping the casualty alive until proper medics arrive is really the only priority. Civi first aid courses rarely if ever cover use of tourniquet techniques but having had some training from combat medics they swear by them. The school of thought was basically if in doubt use one as you're highly unlikely to make it worse when its a choice of apply a tourniquet or death from severe blood loss. No amount of blue plasters and eye wash is going to stop an arterial bleeder, LOL. But a good field dressing with or without a Quickclot agent will pay dividends.

AFAIC its ABC and stopping major blood loss until the ambo or helicopter arrives that's important, so if you can maintain an airway, do CPR where necessary and stop a serious bleed that's all that really matters. Civi's can't carry a defib, ALS drugs and admin fluids. And if the casualty has a life threatening fracture you're not moving them or be able to do anything significant, I certainly won't have any serious immobilisation and extraction devices in my pannier.

Everyday first aid kits are only good for minor everyday niggles or the low priority walking wounded IMO - burning your finger on the exhaust pipe, cutting your hand open on a broken beer bottle because you've lost your bottle opener, vodka hangover from the Russian bike club in the pitch next door, scraping your knuckles replacing a tube, diarrhoea from a dodgy side of the road shashlik vendor, crotch rot from riding all day in the hot weather, petrol in the eyes from a 19th century communist fuel pump, Trench foot and blisters from riding in the cold rain blah blah blah...

Agree 100% and find the first aid courses that I have to attend for work almost entirely pointless and do not grasp the fact that the first aid that we need to understand is life preservation (as far as is possible) not splinter removal. And they persist in forbidding casualty movement in the case of suspected spinal injury without adding the caveat that if e.g. the vehicle is on fire the possibility of paralysis will be solved fairly quickly. Similarly crash helmet removal versus suffocation. Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom