What is the right thing to do?

kurienp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks: If I can tap into your combined wisdom - is what happening here correct?

Background:
Car 1 registered in my name and I am the primary insurance holder and wife is a named driver
Car 2 registered in my wife's name but I am the primary insurance holder and wife is a named driver. The insurance also records that she is the owner of the car.

Car 2 had a minor accident when my wife was driving and and insurance claim against it. When we made the claim, I clarified that my wife was driving it.

Case
A) should this or will this affect my insurance claim.
B) Should I move the insurance to my wife's name for the second car?

Additional information:
a) I have received the insurance renewal for my car and there is a NCB on it for 5 years - which is correct.
b) I have also received the insurance renewal for my wife's car (it is is my name) and there is a NCD for 1 year (which I think is incorrect). (the insurance claim was with the same company and not sure why they have not recorded it). But then again, the insurance is in my name and the wife was driving it.

If you need any further information, please do ask.

Question
What is the right thing to do in this case?

Thanks for your help :thumb

K

Insurance

Insurance is based on absolute good faith. In other words if you fail to tell the insurer something 'material' your insurance is void from inception or voidable. Either way your fooked. Best you can do is talk to the insurer and explain the facts. This will give you the various options on which you can base a decision. keeping quiet about material facts can become a very expensive course of action. Should something happen your claims history is recorded on various industry wide databases. Should previously undisclosed information come to light and claim is going to be difficult.

Insurance is based on absolute good faith. In other words if you fail to tell the insurer something 'material' your insurance is void from inception or voidable. Either way your fooked. Best you can do is talk to the insurer and explain the facts. This will give you the various options on which you can base a decision. keeping quiet about material facts can become a very expensive course of action. Should something happen your claims history is recorded on various industry wide databases. Should previously undisclosed information come to light and claim is going to be difficult.

Thanks Bobster. Agree. :thumb

No longer totally true, whilst you should never lie or mislead; neither are insurers allowed to rely on a general tell us everything clause. How do you know what they deem relevant ? You cannot ! There was an eu harmonisation on insurance couple of years ago, short version; if they don't specifically ask you then it cannot be important. They're not allowed a fishing exercise.

Neither which really helps.

Car 1 insurance should not be effected, however statistically swmbo is now a higher risk so a small increase is possible.

Car 2, insurance will be effected, unless her driving record is really poor/inexperienced, longterm it may be better for insurance in her own name. If you think ncd is incorrect, ask for previous records held, although if ncd wasn't protected they may have deducted a couple of years off.

No longer totally true, whilst you should never lie or mislead; neither are insurers allowed to rely on a general tell us everything clause. How do you know what they deem relevant ? You cannot ! There was an eu harmonisation on insurance couple of years ago, short version; if they don't specifically ask you then it cannot be important. They're not allowed a fishing exercise.

Neither which really helps.

Car 1 insurance should not be effected, however statistically swmbo is now a higher risk so a small increase is possible.

Car 2, insurance will be effected, unless her driving record is really poor/inexperienced, longterm it may be better for insurance in her own name. If you think ncd is incorrect, ask for previous records held, although if ncd wasn't protected they may have deducted a couple of years off.

Thanks Tractors are go, Yes, planning to move the insurance for car 2 to SWMBO, that would be the right thing to do. The guidance on tell us everything clause is much appreciated. :thumb

Also, ombudsman ruled, if it is not specifically excluded then it is deemed to be included.

Useful when household insurance tried to claim my bike clothing was motorcycle accessories and wasn't covered !

Good luck, no matter how frustrated you get, don't let them get to you.

Kill them with kindness !!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom