'Adventure Country Tracks' Portugal route - looks interesting...

MaxB

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone else seen this? BIKE magazine flagged it up last month, and it looks like it might be a really nice basis for a trip.

http://www.adventurecountrytracks.com/portfolio/portugaltrack/

Basically, the Touratech bods have planned a 5 day route from top to bottom of Portugal, about 50% off-road, mainly described as 'Easy/Medium' difficulty level. All you have to do is register on the site, then you can download a GPX file of the route, for free. Obviously nothing is really 'free' as such, but I'm happy enough to get some marketing from Touratech for their trouble in putting this together.

Nice to have something to plan towards on these cold, dark January days...

Interesting, though I feel conflicted.

I can't say I personally view a guided, planned-route tour as an "adventure" (not intended to judge or offend), but as a mate & I are planning a (independent, not-guided) trip for next year that will take in some off-road tracks & trails in Prortugal (and hopefully in Spain too) - likely even the same or at least similar to those featured in that video - I am interested, and I will take advantage of the gpx file download.

Thanks for posting.

Agreed. But that's the whole point - it isn't a guided trip. They're just publishing the route for you to download to your nav, then you go and organise and ride as much or as little of it as you like under your own steam. Sounds good to me...

Had a try at going from top to bottom of Portugal off-road as much as possible last April. However I was on my own on a GSA which meant that I was often turned back by rock steps, etc. That doesn't mean they weren't doable it's just when you're by yourself, small steps and the potential for disaster become a bit overpowering. As a result I did a fair bit of back tracking. However the scenery was stunning as was the weather. I just wild camped for some of it using a hammock, stayed in a hotel when I thought I smelled a bit. It was very hot. I only came off once (in a ford!).

The route I followed was roughly along the border between Portugal and Spain starting near Braganca and ending near Alcoutim.

Saw some great sights with some great tracks ... and some real horrors too.

Would I go again .... I've already booked the ferries! This time with a mate. I'd certainly do it again on my own. A smaller bike though!

Incidentally the industrial mine photo in the Touratech ad is Mina de Sao Domingos ... got some pictures there too.

A taste ...

Attachments

• lo1.jpg
    lo1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • lo2.jpg
    lo2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,135
  • lo3.jpg
    lo3.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,091
... and a couple more

Attachments

• lo4.jpg
    lo4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,021
  • lo5.jpg
    lo5.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,134
Hats off, Monty. That's a proper adventure, having a crack at that by yourself on a GSA.

I've certainly got the bug for Iberian tracks, having done the Off Road School Portugal and Spain trips, and some by myself with the Mrs in Aragon last year. This ACT route just looks like a nice balance between a full on 'adventure' and on the other hand having some kind of idea of where you're going/what it might involve/how long it will take...

It took me 6 days but that includes missing out a few flat bits where you'd have just ended up trundling along flat tracks running parallel to a proper road. Many of the routes were already well travelled by 4x4 guys and while generally that was OK, in one or two places they'd ripped the surface up fairly badly. The plus point was I often found an alternative route around a tough bit. Thanks to some great topos - free too.

For some reason my computer wont let me download the gpx file. I get to the agree/disagree page ... then nothing happens ... am I missing something?

Hi Monty,

When I click on the 'I agree' button on that page, it opens up a box that asks me if I want to open or save the file. Not sure why that wouldn't be happening for you...

Just opened it using Firefox browser - saved it to my PC - emailed to my phone - transferred to free app (Viewranger). All looks good and hoping to go in September

Many Thanks Max :thumb

It took me 6 days but that includes missing out a few flat bits where you'd have just ended up trundling along flat tracks running parallel to a proper road. Many of the routes were already well travelled by 4x4 guys and while generally that was OK, in one or two places they'd ripped the surface up fairly badly. The plus point was I often found an alternative route around a tough bit. Thanks to some great topos - free too.

For some reason my computer wont let me download the gpx file. I get to the agree/disagree page ... then nothing happens ... am I missing something?

Monty, I've downloaded the gpx routes no prob. PM me your email and I'll forward them to you.

btw, your trip last year looked fantastic fun!

No problem, g00ner,

I probably won't be able to make it out there until 2018, so if you do gett out there this year, be sure to let us know how it goes and what it's like!

My accommodation was varied. Stayed in a Pousada in Almeda. A fantastic small hotel in Mertola where the foyer had Roman ruins built in. I stayed in my hammock and also tried a glamping place near Braganca.

Attachments

• another2.jpg
    another2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,041
  • another7.jpg
    another7.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,077
Incidentally, while stooging around in Bilbao waiting for the ferry I found this establishment. :blast

Attachments

• another3.jpg
    another3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,006
Also, a heartfelt request. If you're in Bilbao with time to spare, visit the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery. Its a lonely place which very few people go to. I get there every time i'm in the area but there's usually only been 1-2 visitors from the last time I was there. As usual though its well kept.

Attachments

• another4.jpg
    another4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Just booked the ferry - arrival in Santander 13th September . Is it worth buying some more trail orientated tyres? Bit of camping lined up for us too :camping

EDIT: Monty - I'll call in on the way back, return is from Bilbao

Just booked the ferry - arrival in Santander 13th September . Is it worth buying some more trail orientated tyres? Bit of camping lined up for us too :camping

EDIT: Monty - I'll call in on the way back, return is from Bilbao

Sound, its out near the airport. Through the old British cemetery.

I'm going to try out some of this track at the end of April so I'll let you know. I will have TKC 70 's on unless I spot something better.

I'm going to try out some of this track at the end of April so I'll let you know. I will have TKC 70 's on unless I spot something better.

Im planning on following the ACT Route in August on my own unless I bottle it when I get off the ferry.

How's it going??
Did you run tkc tyres and if so how did they perform??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom