Heated clothing - Gerbing or Keis?

apologies for a stupid question: do you have to wear a long sleeved base layer under the heated jacket or can the jacket be used safely while in direct contact with arms?

I have seen a couple of photos where a heated jacket caused burns on neck?

Either, once you've adjusted the temp settings for you, there's no reason why you couldn't wear it next to the skin.

However, you'd look a bit silly at the coffee/toilet stop !

Personally I normally wear it over a T shirt, but I'm a tad rotund.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Either, once you've adjusted the temp settings for you, there's no reason why you couldn't wear it next to the skin.

However, you'd look a bit silly at the coffee/toilet stop !

Personally I normally wear it over a T shirt, but I'm a tad rotund.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

lol... I wear a short sleeved shirt in work and was curious if I needed a long sleeved shirt or base layer with the heated jacket. I didn't mean I would wear the jacket without any kind of clothes under it. Thanks for the reply.

Lots of feedback. Many thanks, though it hadn't made my decision any easier .

Generally, it would seem the controllers are the weak link for all the brands. I like the sound of the 'Safe and Warm' kit because it sounds like it's close fitting. But I'll check out the costs.

I'll let you know what I plumb for

Thanks

My Gerbings waistcoat had a horrible plastic fabric feel (perhaps nylon pr polyester or something like) and suffered multiple controller failures: a real PITA when you are cold and have minimal clothing because you're relying on the heat. It fortunately disappeared during a French trip and this prompted me to try a nice comfy, fleecy Keis waistcoat and so far no failures and I'm very happy.

Another for warmnsafe, top qualify gear
I've had a few sets of Keis heated insoles in the past.. All failed soon after
Warmnsafe heated socks have lasted me years (including wearing them for work with their battery packs)
Also their customer service is top notch

Another for warmnsafe, top qualify gear
I've had a few sets of Keis heated insoles in the past.. All failed soon after
Warmnsafe heated socks have lasted me years (including wearing them for work with their battery packs)
Also their customer service is top notch

I have the Keis insoles and they are lasting well - on their 2nd winter. I think they are vulnerable if they are often removed and reinserted into a boot - the only way to get them out is to tug on the wires which will break eventually. Fortunately, I have 2 sets of Daytona boots. One set is much wider than the other so I only use them in winter with the insoles and thick socks, which take up the slack so they fit better.

4584135 said:
lol... I wear a short sleeved shirt in work and was curious if I needed a long sleeved shirt or base layer with the heated jacket. I didn't mean I would wear the jacket without any kind of clothes under it. Thanks for the reply.

It all depends on how windproof the outer garment and the heated jacket are. Personally I have to wear a long-sleeved layer if I am out for a long winter ride, but could probably survive a commute in a short-sleeved shirt.

Hope this helps ....

Generally, it would seem the controllers are the weak link for all the brands. I like the sound of the 'Safe and Warm' kit because it sounds like it's close fitting.

I have found the Powerlet / Warm'n'safe remote controllers to be reliable and very effective, either in their internal battery versions or in the bike powered variants.

I have a heated jacket liner, heated glove liners, heated trouser liners and heated socks. I sometimes use all four together if I know I am to have two or more days riding at consistently (all day) low temperatures. I double stack the dual controllers and can fine tune the lot. Once you've enjoyed electric clothing, you'll never go back. Expensive to buy? Possibly, yes. Once bought, worth every penny and more. As Wessie says, look after it and it'll look after you.

To answer the other bod's question. I have seen riders with really quite badly burnt skin, enough to raise a painful blister, ratter like sunburn. Take care. If you do get burned, take it up with the retailer.... it does happen and it's not always down to misuse or owner error. That being said, it's not common, so don't let it put you off.

I have been using Gerbing for a number of years, great kit, often maybe a bit to warm sometimes even on the coldest days.

As one of the posts above, I did have some negative customer service from Gerbing when the jacket suddenly stopped working. So much so that in the end I opened it up and re-soldered a loose connection I found. I have to say that looking at the standard of the other connections/wiring in general I was not super impressed.....That said (apart from this one failure) it has been faultless and excellent otherwise.

Yesterday I got a Keis Jacket. Hooray!

But this was because I could buy from a store here in London and try the jacket on. Real people there to advise me and the option to come home and try under my actual jacket.

The jacket is a tad more bulky than i want, but i think after a little shuffling around, it'll fit ok. Looking at the Warm & Safe website, their thinking about garment type (close fitting and not for external wear) is much closer to my original idea.

The W&S trouser liners look great (more like like heated long-johns) and look like something I should get. But do I have to buy from the States? Someone mentioned a UK distributor, but I can't find reference on their site?

So two questions:

1. does anyone know the UK distributor for W&S?
2. Has anyone mixed brands and daisy chained them together? > my plan would be to chain Keis Jacket with W&S trouser liners.

Thanks for feedback (and thanks too for feedback so far :thumby:

Google: warm and safe UK ......

Big roll on drums....

http://www.riderz.co.uk/warm-and-safe-heated/

As their contact details say, it's a local shop for local people.

There is no obviously good reason why you can't daisy chain different makes together, though you might need to fiddle about with the connectors and don't forget to maybe change the possibly single fuse, due to the increased load.

Yesterday I got a Keis Jacket. Hooray!

But this was because I could buy from a store here in London and try the jacket on. Real people there to advise me and the option to come home and try under my actual jacket.

The jacket is a tad more bulky than i want, but i think after a little shuffling around, it'll fit ok. Looking at the Warm & Safe website, their thinking about garment type (close fitting and not for external wear) is much closer to my original idea.

The W&S trouser liners look great (more like like heated long-johns) and look like something I should get. But do I have to buy from the States? Someone mentioned a UK distributor, but I can't find reference on their site?

So two questions:

1. does anyone know the UK distributor for W&S?
2. Has anyone mixed brands and daisy chained them together? > my plan would be to chain Keis Jacket with W&S trouser liners.

Thanks for feedback (and thanks too for feedback so far :thumby:

most gear has the same co-axial connector you have on your Keis jacket so easy to daisy chain, although there will be adapters for other types as well. My Keis X10 has 4 sockets so you can plug in gloves and insoles. You could plug other devices in here but change the fuse if needed.

I have my controller in series with the main power lead and jacket so that it controls the jacket & insoles. If you follow the Keis recommendation with the controller plugged into that loop in the little pocket, the controller will only adjust the jacket. Any accessory will get unlimited current unless you add an additional controller.

Before you buy the heated trousers, I find my legs stay warm enough - core temperature is kept up by the waistcoat so warm blood goes into my legs, the insoles keep my feet warm and top up the temperature before the blood returns to the core. If you ride a boxer then your shins are getting warmed by the cylinders as well.

I suggest you take a couple of rides with the Keis jacket - I rarely have it on anything above the lowest setting, except when riding sub-zero like my trip from Mid Wales a few days ago. They produce an amazing amount of heat from 1.5A

Wapping. Many thanks for the link. Appreciated .

Wessie. Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right, I need to give the jacket a couple of trips first.

But now I have a source for W&S in the UK, I'm ready!

Keep the receipt
Definitely

Got the wiring done yesterday and checked all works (having a PDM60 really makes light work of fitting this kind of thing!). Jacket heats in in seconds. Brilliant.

Went out for ride, suited up to give it a try.

Bumped into the first hiccup.

I wear a Dainese Tetren jacket and trousers that I zip together.

But this heated jacket prevents me zipping them together, unless I tuck the jacket into the trousers... It might work, but this is one of the reasons the W&S stuff looks more interesting...

Some cold weather is on the way apparently and some miles to cover so it'll get a good trial.

I also have to tuck the waistcoat into my trousers, which is fine, but difficult in accessing the controls

I also have to tuck the waistcoat into my trousers, which is fine, but difficult in accessing the controls
Interesting. Thanks

I got the jacket with a free remote control (current offer at Infinity Motorcycles in case anyone is looking!), so it might not be a problem.

I'll find out soon. There's always a bit of fiddling around with new kit. Here's hoping I can settle into this new addition.

Back
Top Bottom