Heated clothing - Gerbing or Keis?

Ok folks. An update on my heated clothing saga. I've gone about all this in the wrong way, but hopefully I'm nearing correction.

I decided that because of the expense, i wasn't happy living with a compromise on having to tuck the Keis jacket into the trousers of my suit, just so I could zip the suit together.is all just too bulky for me. So I got in touch with Terry at Bikerz.co.uk to learn more. If i did't zip my kit together, then my particular issue wouldn't exist.

After a little thought, I ordered a jacket and remote controller. Due in tomorrow. I have just been to return the jacket to Infinity Motorcycles. But guess what, they have a no-return policy! But if I'd bought online, I could have returned it! I will never ever go back there, online or otherwise. Not just because of the policy, but the attitude I was presented with also.

I'll shortly be posting in the For Sale section a brand new Keis jacket, with tags and remote control (all inc. receipt) at a heavily discounted price.

Moral of the story is, don't friggin buy in a shop (online only).

I used to scrunch up the bottom of my Keis jacket to enable me to zip jacket and trousers together ... these days I just leave the suit disconnected and it's actually comfier and warmer because the Keis jacket extends slightly further down my lower back.

I used to scrunch up the bottom of my Keis jacket to enable me to zip jacket and trousers together ... these days I just leave the suit disconnected and it's actually comfier and warmer because the Keis jacket extends slightly further down my lower back.
It might work for some. In my case it was all too much fabric being tucked in. The jacket itself is fine. In fact i like the fabric. But it's just that, another jacket, albeit a fairly thin one. Just not thin enough.

If I did happen to find myself sliding down the road, I like the idea of things bring zipped together...

I was pretty pissed this morning with those two in the store. Poor show. I'll just use their stores in future to try things on before i buy online, somewhere else.

Now I just want to sell the Keis item to get some money back and move on....

Sportsbikeshop...if it doesn't fit, or you don't like it, send it back FOC.
Exactly. I've had a good experience with them also.

But that's all online and the new law gives online purchasers some freedom for 4wks after buying. But if you buy from a shop, at least an Infinity Motorcycles shop, you'll be treated like you bought the item off a market stall...

Customer service is a distant memory there. As said, I will never go back to buy anything from them, online or otherwise, ever. It's the least I can do.

I have just emailed Riderz regarding the 'warm and safe' new Generation Wind Block pant liners which go for $215 :blast in the US.
I prefer a long john style of liner than inner pants like Gerbing.

Also mentioned any discount for forum members :aidan and as I am off to the Dragon next month, to bring the trade van up because it will be bloody cold and lots of freezing punters with beer money.

Second part to question above OR can I actually use something like Hex Ezcan to control jacket liner and also Wunderlich heated seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keis waistcoat with controller wired to bike for me, full jacket and battery pack for the wife. Its not been cold enough to turn it on the last two years

Providing you can connect the receiver end of the 'troller' to the garment, there is no logical reason why it shouldn't work.

Yes, depending on the current draw, you could use a HexEzcam, too. HexEzcam will tell you how.

Great thanks, about time I sat down and get the detail on Ezcam, I think from previous threads this seems to be the one to go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd tag this question to the end of this thread.

Has anyone bought a vest and felt they could use the jacket? I would imagime that your warm core would take care of most conditions but just curious to hear yoir experiences.
Thanks

You might as well ask if anyone has bought a jacket and then felt as if they could or should have bought a vest.

The vest makers advertise that heating your body (chest and back) will be enough, "To see you toasty" whatever the feck that means. Whilst a jacket manufacturer will extol the virtues of heating your arms and (for all I know) the joy of extending the woder that is electrical resistance to your 10 little piggies. Make your own mind up. It's not yet a life or death question.

Not sure that answer helps me to be honest.

I think it would be easier for someone with a vest to know they are too cold than someone with a jacket to guess whether a vest would do a good enough job.

I've used a Keis heated vest and it worked really well. Heating up your core seems to do the trick. Never used a full heated jacket though so cant compare!

I think it would be easier for someone with a vest to know they are too cold than someone with a jacket to guess whether a vest would do a good enough job.

When I bought a heated jacket, I was certain that I wanted to connect my electric gloves to the end of the jacket sleeves - obviously not possible with a vest. Incidentally I am certain that I would not have been happy with a vest - even if the sleeves had not been an issue.

I owned a good vest, which was great

I now own a good jacket, it's great as well

Both are very probably better than nothing, I guess

The jacket was more expensive than the vest. After a couple of years, I replaced the somewhat crappy heat controller for the vest, with one from Widder. You can't buy the Widder controllers any more, which is a pity as I'd definitely recommend one, as they were very well made. After about eight years I gave the vest (and the Widder controller) to a friend, who's now used it for two years. He's very happy with it, which is nice and maybe speaks volumes for the vest.

Lots of posts on this site say that vests are great. Other threads say that jackets are great, too. Some people don't get on with the jackets, as they can find that they add too much bulk. This might be because they have left the winter lining in their motorcycle jacket, instead of taking it out. Some people do this as they are frightened that the power to their jacket will fail and they'll then freeze to death. I always take the lining out of my jackets and trousers and haven't died yet but that doesn't mean I haven't just been lucky. Others might not like the price of an electric jacket over that of a vest and will, on that alone, never ever try or buy (or even recommend) a jacket on that criteria alone.

Don't be like them. Try a vest and a jacket on, with and without your lining in. Then look at the price / ease and flexibility of both and then decide - based on your guess - which garment will suit you best. It's the Adventure biker way. Sometimes you'll guess right, sometimes wrong. But hey, it's what makes life a bit of a gamble.

Thanks for your replies, particularly that last one Wapping. What make did you go for?

The vest? A Chilli, bought direct from the bod's house. He used to live near Woburn, Beds but that was years ago.

The jacket? From Powerlet, USA. I have their glove liners, leggins and heated soles, all four items independently controlled via two, two pot, 'Trollers'

Back
Top Bottom