Heated clothing - Gerbing or Keis?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm about to get my wallet out and buy some heated gear. I've been looking for ages, but have some miles to cover in Jan and Feb so a perfect time to finally do it.

Gerbing is a tad more expensive. Is it worth it? Anyone tried both Gerbing and Keis? Both look good from the Web, but that can be meaningless!

My brief would be for close fitting gear, allowing me to wear my existing bike outfit....

Grateful for feedback

Thanks

Whatever you choose, make sure it can daisy chain together so that you don't end up with multiple power cables.

Out of the two; Keis and I have Oxford waistcoat/gloves.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I've had both ... Used to ride all year round at work..... Hands down the Gerbing kit has been the best... Jacket to trousers and inner sole ... Washable and wear so good. Jacket zips up with a tall collar and long sleeves, heat is spread all over the garment. Great kit I wear, Helly Hansen thermal vest , Gerbing and over suit... Great kit

I bought my first heated jacket just recently - Gerbing - new shape. I am XL in clothing but had to buy an XXL as the XL was too tight and armpits too restrictive. Collar is tight. Bottom of the jacket is loose - guessing maybe to go over trouser/bib setup. So far so good but that baggy bottom does make the bottom of my tummy/back not as warm as the rest of me. The previous shape was like a bomber jacket but I have no experience of that.

Have a warm & safe heated jacket fom riderz , a guy in the uk who imports them from US. Its thin so you can wear with base layers , heats the INSIDE of arms , only needing half power in down to 4 degrees with just a rohan merino tee shirt underneath . Gerbing short cuff xsr12 heated gloves , fit under sleeve , both controlled by warm & safe wireless dual remote controller , transmitter stores inside a pocket in the heated liner, velcro the controller to the clutch reservoir. 2 of my touring buddies have bought the same and really impressed. There's nothing wrong with gerbing jacket liners , I've still got one as well but a bit bulky , newer ones are more so , as it seems that gerbing , keis seem to want to make them dual purpose as outdoor wear as well.

Another vote for the newer (thinner) Warm'n'Safe kit. I have Powerlet's 'Rapidfire' equivalent; it's excellent, especially with the dual control remote heat controllers.

Quite happy with my Keis waistcoat & insoles - they daisy chain together so you only need one lead.

Only draw 3 amps so run from the canbus accessory socket. Amazing amount of heat from such little current.

My remote lasted about 2 weeks before it failed. Now I've just returned the jacket as I used it for the first time this winter and found it has failed. Clearly Keis stuff is not durable.

I've had Keis for around 8 years - no issues. I first had the body warmer then about four years back replaced it with the full sleeve version.

I've had Keis clothing in the past, and rate it highly.:thumb

Yep agree Keis...does a top job for me , but get a remote controller so you can turn down the heat when needed

Have had Gerbing jacket (I like the collar & sleeves) for 5 or 6 years. During that time I've had 3 controllers fail, none covered under warranty even though there was a known problem with the old rheostat type.
Last winter the jacket failed. No bother says I, the wiring has a lifetime warranty. So I went to Motorcycle Live to see them. Only to be told that without a receipt they couldn't look at it.
Now I understand a retail business looking for a receipt to return a book, jacket, whatever because it mightn't have been bought from them but a manufacturer ? Who else would have made a Gerbing jacket ? :mad:
If I kept every receipt for bike stuff I've bought for 5 or 6 years I'd have to move out of the house !

Long story short, I went around the corner & bought Keis. Jacket, controller (for in the pocket) & wireless controller (on the handlebars) for less than a Gerbing jacket on it's own. But I haven't had a chance to try it yet....

Must be warm in kildare today, was -6°c on the commute to Perth it did get up to -0•5°c at one point though.

It ain't warm. But it's not that cold either !
Reason for not having tried it yet is I'm off the bike since Oct after clavicle reconstruction :eyebrow
Shouldn't be long now though.....

Have had Gerbing jacket (I like the collar & sleeves) for 5 or 6 years. During that time I've had 3 controllers fail, none covered under warranty even though there was a known problem with the old rheostat type.
Last winter the jacket failed. No bother says I, the wiring has a lifetime warranty. So I went to Motorcycle Live to see them. Only to be told that without a receipt they couldn't look at it.
Now I understand a retail business looking for a receipt to return a book, jacket, whatever because it mightn't have been bought from them but a manufacturer ? Who else would have made a Gerbing jacket ? :mad:
If I kept every receipt for bike stuff I've bought for 5 or 6 years I'd have to move out of the house !

Long story short, I went around the corner & bought Keis. Jacket, controller (for in the pocket) & wireless controller (on the handlebars) for less than a Gerbing jacket on it's own. But I haven't had a chance to try it yet....

Whereas the ladies at the NEC replaced a broken controller (lead had broken) without asking for a receipt......

Does anyone who's changed to bluetooth have a Keis old type (4 settings) heat controller they'd like to sell?

Back
Top Bottom