North west honeymoon route queries

Rocketman

Reaction score
As title really ,I've got a rough route in my head for our honeymoon at the end of June ,I've got the flights booked into seattle and coming back 17 days later .
Now what I'm thinking is a sort of circular type route upto Victoria on vancouver island Over to vc city ,then upto jasper ,Banff ,glacier np ,Yellowstone ,Teton At least 2 nights in boise visiting rels ,over to the coast heading back to seattle .
Anyone with any hints or info of any nice towns to overnight at would be great , is the route to much maybe :nenau or better done in the other direction maybe .
Cheers gav

We went over to Seattle and went into the sound to an island called orcas island on the car ferry. It was stunning and we were able to go and see the killer whales out in the sound on a boat trip from the main harbour. It's to the north of Seattle and is well worth finding. Head north to bellfield and the ferry was somewhere around there. Sorry but it was some years ago.

Went across Vancouver Island in 2001

4 hours each way from the ferry. Saw tall trees, short trees, fat trees, thin trees, but bugger all else till we got to Tofino.
If you take a coach or a lift to Tofino, take the seaplane back.
One of my colleagues on the trip made a memorable statement regarding Tofino:
"This is the sort of town where a sudden death takes a fortnight!"
Myke

I'm definitely thinking of doing the route in reverse ,that way we may have a couple of days spare to explore the some of the gulf islands and maybe catch a orca tour .
I'll have a read through report cheers timaloy:thumb2

This might help
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...hwest-amp-Yellowstone-Sept-2014?highlight=pch

Feel free to ignore the babble, just look at the pics & hotels if that's any use to you.

I have read this before I think , but I've just read it in its entirety again and a lot the route is spot on for what I was thinking of doing . I may have to cut out the vc island bit to fit it all in as We've only 17 days ,there's definitely a few hotels I'll be keeping in mind .
We where thinking of opting for a harley when booking with eaglerider ,but after reading you're report again I think I'm going to opt for a gs or rt ,I just think because of the distances involved we'd be more comfortable .

Whichever way you do it you'll have a blast.

My only advice would be to book motels in the very busy places but everywhere else you can just rock up and get a room. The US don't do late nights so get into town arund 5ish latest. You'll pay a small fortune in Jasper, Banff, Yellowstone and The Tetons but you can't avoid that.

One place you mustn't miss is Waterton National Park. It's just over the Canadian Border betwwn Glacier and Banff. We go there on my trips and we stay at the Bear MountainHotel which is very quirky and the best value in town http://bearmountainmotel.com.

If you need any specific advice, give me a shout.

Rocketman, you aren't far away from me so if you want to meet up over a brew and pour over a few maps, give me shout.

Thanks Chris for the great advice and you're offer of a meet up one of the days that would be spot on ,I'll pm you cheers gav :thumb2

Gardiner on the north gate of Yellowstone was relatively cheap, especially the beer in the local rednecks bar :beerjug: There's enough restaurants and pubs to keep you occupied for a couple of nights.

The Beartooth Highway is a must whilst you're in the area

Jackson looked lovely when we left it in the morning, but we didn't arrive there until nearly midnight as the road from Yellowstone was closed due to a coach crash so we were diverted via West Yellowstone and then had to drive down the west side of the Tetons and over a mountain pass to Jackson in the dark :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 145
Gardiner on the north gate of Yellowstone was relatively cheap, especially the beer in the local rednecks bar :beerjug: There's enough restaurants and pubs to keep you occupied for a couple of nights.

The Beartooth Highway is a must whilst you're in the area

Jackson looked lovely when we left it in the morning, but we didn't arrive there until nearly midnight as the road from Yellowstone was closed due to a coach crash so we were diverted via West Yellowstone and then had to drive down the west side of the Tetons and over a mountain pass to Jackson in the dark :eek:

Just watched something on youtube about beartooth highway looks like a must cheers Sven :beerjug:

In a weeks time me and the good wife will be heading over the pond , at the moment I find myself as excited as a blind puff in a hot dog factory and on the other hand as nervous as a virgin at a prison football match .
I've planned the route by using a lot of inspiration from various ride reports on here so here goes
Weds 21st pick up bike in seattle
Short day upto vancouver
22nd vancouver to cache creek
23rd cache to valemount
24th valemount to Banff
25th Banff to waterton
26th waterton to big fork via gttsr
27th big fork to billings (big mile day)
28th billings to cody via beartooth and chief Joseph
29thcody to west yellowstone
30th west yell to Missoula
1st July Missoula to mcall via lolo
2nd mcall to meridian boise (family)via sawtooth mts
3rd meridian to bend (ale trail) :beer:
4th bend to wheeler ,Oregon coast (family )
5th family
6th nowt booked
7th nowt booked
8th bikes got to be back by 3pm

The last couple of days I've left clear as there's just something inside me that hates
Booking the shit out of everything I'll just play it by ear tho.
Maybe hug the coast all the way up to seattle or maybe head over to that observatory of which the name escapes me .
One last thing is it normal to be awake at :eek:o'clock in the morning in anticipation
Of it all :nenau:clap

In a weeks time me and the good wife will be heading over the pond , at the moment I find myself as excited as a blind puff in a hot dog factory and on the other hand as nervous as a virgin at a prison football match .
I've planned the route by using a lot of inspiration from various ride reports on here so here goes
Weds 21st pick up bike in seattle
Short day upto vancouver
22nd vancouver to cache creek
23rd cache to valemount
24th valemount to Banff
25th Banff to waterton
26th waterton to big fork via gttsr
27th big fork to billings (big mile day)
28th billings to cody via beartooth and chief Joseph
29thcody to west yellowstone
30th west yell to Missoula
1st July Missoula to mcall via lolo
2nd mcall to meridian boise (family)via sawtooth mts
3rd meridian to bend (ale trail) :beer:
4th bend to wheeler ,Oregon coast (family )
5th family
6th nowt booked
7th nowt booked
8th bikes got to be back by 3pm

The last couple of days I've left clear as there's just something inside me that hates
Booking the shit out of everything I'll just play it by ear tho.
Maybe hug the coast all the way up to seattle or maybe head over to that observatory of which the name escapes me .
One last thing is it normal to be awake at :eek:o'clock in the morning in anticipation
Of it all :nenau:clap

Excellent route.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom