GLENCOE & APPLECROSS Feb

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of heading upto the above in mid February, what is the weather usually like and is there any roads I should avoid for Ice etc.

Been up the West coast loads of times, but not in February, I don't want to make it some form of endurance ride, just a cold crisp run would do is this feasible.

Cheers Simon

Take Ski's and if you're feeling really brave, a kite.

Sometimes it is absolutely gloriously mild other's not so. I'm afraid it is a wait and see kind of the Hooe for best, plan for staying at home !

This does not really help, but you could get all 5 seasons in 10 minutes, Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Scotland. I'd keep an eye on https://trafficscotland.org/weather/index.aspx?regionid=2 and plan for it being baltic.

I rode through Glencoe to work in Inverness last February and was blessed with sunshine and dry roads, but bloody cold. It's a lottery.

I've travelled for many years to the Dragon Rally from Ullapool in early February when living there and only once had to cancel due to road conditions (which alleviated the following day). Basically it is down to the weather at the time. The pass at Applecross can get snowed up and closed but there is also the coast road option (though this can also get difficult in places). Personally I would go for it but keep a close eye on the forecast.

Glencoe last February

b2cc80b1683cac50323d39cd627ed735.jpg

Cheers Guy, pretty much as I thought.

We love the this part of the country, so put it top of our few day trip. if weather is too bad, will follow weather.

Cabby, thats the weather I want, not bothered how cold....within reason, no heated grips on my 100gs

I did Applecross on Christmas Eve in 2007, snow at the top of the pass, GS breezed it. Had early lunch at The Inn. Home by 16.45, I live not far from Dundee. I did B&B in Portree on the 23rd Dec, then made for Applecross. There was snow piled up on the side of the road on the pass. Great two day trip, some black ice on Skye, interesting at times! The following year I rode through a snow storm 150 miles from Nordkapp, it lasted for over a hour, this was the 13th of June! Go for it, you only live once!

If you do make the trip. Give me a shout if you fancy some company. I'm on skye so can meet as I'm desperate to go over Applecross again. :)

Keep an eye on the forecast

The weather on the west coast is totally confused this winter. To-day we had 12.5 deg C in Ullapool, for the middle of January that is exceptional to say the least. What I would advise is yes go try it but look at the forecast first :rob, you might be lucky and hit some of this warm weather or you could get into some typical wet and WINDY cold weather. With all this good weather we've had we are wondering when the pay back is due !

M

I'll get over soon. Work six days a week so it's not easy getting a bike day. I have been to Inverness and back the last three Saturdays so taking the wife out this weekend. :)

Back
Top Bottom