calais to alps off road

Nickyboy

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone point me in the direction of gps off road routes down through france from calais down to the alps?
Yearly trip to the stella alpina but want to mix it up a bit by riding down there off road.

Cheers

Nick

Wikiloc.....mapping...
We could be doing something silmilar,but from Sanatander across the pyranees and back by using Wikiloc...

I keep thinking about doing the Stella, what's the recommended timetable? - Is it something like arrive Friday, ride it Saturday, leave Sunday. Can you just turn up and camp

Haven't had too much joy with wikiloc for this... Tend to be a lot of short routes but nothing that seems to cover a big chunk of the distance. It maybe a matter of piecing together lots of short sections.

As for the Stella , we usually leave Friday early, take 2 days riding down there cross country using back roads all the way, get down there Saturday evening. The Stella is always on the Sunday. You can free camp up at the refugio but there's no facilities and it gets very busy. We usually stay in town or camp at the campsite at the top of town.
We always then stay for the safari which is basically riding tracks for the week. Until his death last year, the safari consisted of riding during the day and then get together in the evening to watch Mario's old cine films of old Stella's going back to the early 60's.
Then do return journey to Calais, again cross country back roads all the way.

I keep thinking about doing the Stella, what's the recommended timetable? - Is it something like arrive Friday, ride it Saturday, leave Sunday. Can you just turn up and camp

Depends how much time you've got. The Stella as such is run on the Sunday morning but it is jammed packed and slow going. My recommendation would be to do it on Saturday morning, have a nice lunch and rest then do the Jafferau trail in the afternoon (opens at 5pm I think). There are also other nice trails locally - unfortunately I went to do one on the Sunday but it was closed off for a car rally.

Next time I will get there on a thurs aft/eve do the long easy one on Friday then the Sat as suggested then home Sunday. Just ask around when you're there for the other trails.

Back
Top Bottom