Creating an 'off road GS650'?

keithquad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Situation: I'm going to do an off road/on road 'experience' - Black Sea to Gibrlater with 50:50 on/off road. For non proffesional riders. 12 days. Overnight equipment is not carried by the bike - so travelling light.

Choosen bike: is a GS 650 twin, factory lowered ('Patrick' - its my wives bike!), whilst I could use my GS1200LC (factory lowered) it just feels 'too big a bike' for this adventure (5 foot 2, 28 inch inside leg, doesnt give much lee way for offroading!).

Upgardes of GS 650 twin: Patrick ... (to use his name) already has crash bars at front, luggage bars at rear which will act as good protection. Bash plate, & hand guards.

What in addition to the following do you suggest:-
- headlight protector
- foot pegs
maybe ... radiator guard?

What about brake reservioirs, front & back - is it useful to protect these or not?

Tyres - I can get a sense of what tyres are going to be of benefit from other posts on the site.
It would appear to be iseful to have 'green slime', or equivelenet in the tyres.

So ... can I ask what do you think are the pragmatic 'additions' that will be useful for such an event, I know we can 'bling' any bike up with all the expensive accesories but my question is more of 'real life, experience' those of you who have taken your bikes off road, trails at slowish pace vs thrasing the arse of the bike what do you beleive has been highly beneficial in 'adding' to the bike to make it useable?
(Note: I appreciate that having a lowered bike, it has its limitations - as indeed we all do! I'm not 'racing the bike', I do however wish to invest in parts that minimise the damage which may occur as I use the bike.)

Hope you can assit with your views - Cheers.

For an adventure bike forum there's not much help coming your way!
I have seen the Ads for this ride, been tempted for a few minutes by the thought of taking my 650 (wouldn't that be nice, shall I give mine a name too?) then I wake up and realise that I am no longer the thirty year old I think I am, but rather double that.
With the caveat that anything I say may be utter bollocks, saved only that no one else has replied, here goes.

Yes to all the things you mention.
I know that Patrick is lowered, but I would still consider spending serious cash on the suspension as the impending 12 days is not a walk in the park for anyone.
Consider getting the seat sorted - I know you are supposed to spend your days standing up, but you will have to sit down sometime.
Footpegs - I have always bought a new set from NippyN for each of my BMs - easy to do yourself and the broad platform along with adjustable angle does help to make it your own.
As your profile claims you to be interested in all sorts of strange activities we can assume you are physically fit, but are you machine fit?
Simple roadside maintenance, what to look for if the lights go out,
Re tyres, the rocky terrain looks a bit like some of the pictures I have seen from America - suggest you think about Heidneau K60 or the proverbial TKC80

HTH
Brian

If you're doing a lot of standing up have you considered knee braces to assist in that department (as worn by the Dakar professionals)?

Have no experience of the 650 twin off road, but as long as you aren't trying to do any motox style riding I don't see why it shouldn't work. Double check the bash plate mountings, as it's so low, you don't want that attached to anything fragile! Headlamp guards are great if you don't need to use the headlight, in my opinion. The standard footpegs are shite, get rid of them and put wider ones on. If you want ultimate comfort for standing, get pivot pegs, again my opinion. Check the handlebar and controls are positioned properly for standing too, if you intend to do so, hunched over is a recipe for back ache. Can't help with the tyre choice without knowing more about the trip, but Heidenau Scouts work well on a 1200.
Mark

Nice light handling bikes the F650GS Twin. Shame it's the low version though.

Most points have been covered, but do give yourself time to learn the bike & develop the off-road skills you will need. It sounds like a great trip.

As for the bike, mine has alloy wheels. They seem pretty strong, but I wouldn't care to use them on any 'serious' terrain. Also, someone has also mentioned the bash plate - most have mounts to the base of the engine, which is OK for soft roading, but for your trip you will need to mount to the frame or lower crash bars, not to the engine casings. The 650 has the smaller fuel tank, so you may need to look at range issues, or fit the GSA tank.

Heck, the more I think about this scenario & the spend required, the more I think an F800GSA on K60s would be a more appropriate ride, but appreciate you have a height issue to consider.

Whatever, have a great time ...................... KEN

Brian - thank you for starting off the responses, much appreciated.

I will look into the strength of the bashplate holding bolts.

Thank you Mark etc - I'll look into pivot pegs, I've noted a couple of people raving about them!

Interesting re suspension - what have people done to upgrade this?

The event, whilst some people do Razz it, will be taken slowly. There are 4 of us doing it together, so hopefully we can back each other up should it go wrong.

Thanks again for suggestions

The most useful thing you can do Keith is ride the bike off road as much as possible well before your trip, making your own decisions about what is or isn't needed.

This will give you a bike you end up much more in tune with :beerjug:

I think the cast alloy wheels are stronger than the spoked wheels on the F800gs which don,t have a great reputation. If you are doing serious off roading i would look into replacing the "chocolate" rear shock mounting bolt for high tensile and possibly fit the strengthening bracket where the shock mounts to the frame. having said that it will cope with most off roading.
Nice light handling bikes the F650GS Twin. Shame it's the low version though.

Most points have been covered, but do give yourself time to learn the bike & develop the off-road skills you will need. It sounds like a great trip.

As for the bike, mine has alloy wheels. They seem pretty strong, but I wouldn't care to use them on any 'serious' terrain. Also, someone has also mentioned the bash plate - most have mounts to the base of the engine, which is OK for soft roading, but for your trip you will need to mount to the frame or lower crash bars, not to the engine casings. The 650 has the smaller fuel tank, so you may need to look at range issues, or fit the GSA tank.

Heck, the more I think about this scenario & the spend required, the more I think an F800GSA on K60s would be a more appropriate ride, but appreciate you have a height issue to consider.

Whatever, have a great time ...................... KEN

Just so we all know the form with this event, check this out: -

http://www.gibraltarrace.com/en/

5000 miles, 50/50 road/off-road. Baby GS?. No Tech Regs yet, but the bikes all look pretty serious 'dakar' jobs to me. We really need more info before we can advise the OP further. With sea crossings involved, along with scedules to meet, I do wonder about the bike choice. 161 days to go, we shall see when they publish regs.

Don't forget the BMW sump guard bolts to the sump itself... not the best design, stops flying stones etc but I wouldn't like to impact it of something. Hate to say it but you'd spend more prepping Patrick than buying say a klr650 and prepping that for a beating.

Thanks for all teh suggestions to date.

To get an appreciation of the terrain you can view the 'race official video' http://www.gibraltarrace.com/en/gallery-video/
or you can see 'participant videos' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7IO73wRExo
each of which provide an appreciation of the terrain.

I dont believe these are major off road events - reviewing all the videos there is one section of 'boulder' strewn area, which if req'd I'll walk the bike through, so my view is that ths is not major off road terrain... I'll let you know once I've done it!

Let me question some suggestions:-
1. Has any one had any problems with the suspension on the 650 or the mountings?
I weigh 65kg this bike is not under massive stress with my weight - I appreciate that teh roads in question will shake me & the bike however its not going to be making major jumps!
So has anyone actually had issues with the shocks or mounting points?

2. Fuel tank - whilst the fuel tank is small it will have greater milleage capbility than the GS1200?
Having toured with my wife (Ireland, Alps etc) I'm refuelling before she needs to.

Whilst I am asking for oppinions I would like to hear a degree of detail, 'replacing the "chocolate" rear shock mounting bolt for high tensile and possibly fit the strengthening bracket where the shock mounts to the frame' .... why are you really telling me that yours has completely 'bolloxed'! frenchy 3?
If so, what weight are you & inder what circumstances?

Intersted for opinion with detail of why plse.

I did say for serious off roading this has been an issue for some people. I personally am not going to use mine on anything more than a gravel track as i would sooner use a lighter and less fragile bike for more focused off roading. Also my bike is in lovely condition and i couldn,t bear to wreck it.
Thanks for all teh suggestions to date.

To get an appreciation of the terrain you can view the 'race official video' http://www.gibraltarrace.com/en/gallery-video/
or you can see 'participant videos' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7IO73wRExo
each of which provide an appreciation of the terrain.

I dont believe these are major off road events - reviewing all the videos there is one section of 'boulder' strewn area, which if req'd I'll walk the bike through, so my view is that ths is not major off road terrain... I'll let you know once I've done it!

Let me question some suggestions:-
1. Has any one had any problems with the suspension on the 650 or the mountings?
I weigh 65kg this bike is not under massive stress with my weight - I appreciate that teh roads in question will shake me & the bike however its not going to be making major jumps!
So has anyone actually had issues with the shocks or mounting points?

2. Fuel tank - whilst the fuel tank is small it will have greater milleage capbility than the GS1200?
Having toured with my wife (Ireland, Alps etc) I'm refuelling before she needs to.

Whilst I am asking for oppinions I would like to hear a degree of detail, 'replacing the "chocolate" rear shock mounting bolt for high tensile and possibly fit the strengthening bracket where the shock mounts to the frame' .... why are you really telling me that yours has completely 'bolloxed'! frenchy 3?
If so, what weight are you & inder what circumstances?

Intersted for opinion with detail of why plse.

Hey Keith, that looks a fantastic opportunity but it also looks fairly intense and if you're not used to riding off road every day, the lack of concentration and energy may be fatal.

Having owned the F650 twin (standard model low seat & also 5'2"), the most I ever did was a private off-road day in Scotland & a few gravel roads in Gallaway Forest. I think it's quite a capable bike & a lowered version would have given me far more confidence to try it out more trails but I also owned a DR250 to practice on.

If you're definite about taking Patrick, forget the modifications - find the nearest (easy) dirt trail and give it a go. You will discover lots about yourself and the bike. Otherwise, buy a smaller lighter bike then get lots of practice on the trails & then have incredible fun at the event :)

PS - just noticed you live in Kendal, several trails in Lancs & Yorkshire is not too far away for you, so get in touch with Johnny Boxer - he'll show you some easy and not so easy trails where you can put Patrick to the test ;)

Little late to the conversation but I do a little off roading and do push it a little......

Hand guards - to protect the levers and you hands
Wider foot pegs - The stock ones will start to cut into your boots if you spend more time standing up.
Radiator guard - is useful.
Headlight guard (As std replacements are very expensive)
Engine bars - are a must to protect the plastics once you go down.
Bash plate - Protect the sump as the 650 Twin has lower clearance. (BMW one is chocolate)
Tools to straighten what ever gets bent. I do tend to have my levers not overly tight so they can spin rather than bend my bars .. again...

Hope this helps.

ferrol.

I've just about finished getting Patrick ready ...., well until I think of something else req'd!
Has anyone had experience of getting a 'cameltoe' or wider fat foot for the stand for a lowered bike. I've tried to date & had no luck. I dare say that it's due to the smaller number of bikes being produced therefore not viable, however I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any luck in sourcing one.

Back
Top Bottom