Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 in Africa (London to Ghana)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

60 in Africa (London to Ghana)

Well I'm less than a week away from my first overland trip to Africa, indeed my first visit to Africa.
    I've got over what I think will be the worst part of the trip, the inoculations. Luckily the Travel Nurse knew her job and I didn't feel a thing.

While I've done a fair deal of motorcycle touring, I've never done an adventure. What's the difference? Well touring in my mind is what you do in Western Europe or North America. You know where you're going and what to expect. There are no real culture shocks, you try to avoid the tourist, trying hard not to be labelled with the same tag, even though that's what you are.

Adventure, going to worlds that have nothing in common with the comforts, expectations of mine. Where there are no tourists, only like minded travellers, that you wake up every morning hoping to meet, so they can advise you on the road ahead.. That's my idea of it, I maybe wrong only time will tell.

So having had the crazy dream, that is now turning into reality, I'm hoping to blog on here throughout the trip. After all, the blogs of others on here have not only inspired me, but also given me the confidence to go through with it.

I hope you'll follow it, and that it may help others to do similar.

Blog Entries
    I'm in. Good luck & stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Bee View Post
    Well I'm less than a week away from my first overland trip to Africa, indeed my first visit to Africa.
    I've got over what I think will be the worst part of the trip, the inoculations.
    You are in for a shock if you think the shots are the worst part . My mate has ridden from Morocco . .
    Western Sahara. . .
    Mauritania . .
    Mali . . .
    Burkina faso . .
    Togo...
    Benin. . .
    Nigeria. . . .
    Cameroon. He says the border crossings & associated paperwork are a pain. He returns to Cameroon next week and will head for Congo & Democratic Republic of Congo . . . . .(that's going to be interesting) and then down to South Africa.
    2005 SE Adventure 1150.

Sounds really interesting so I'm in....have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Sounds good. I shall be checking in. Good luck, but most of all - enjoy.

I'm in, have fun Davey, look forward to reading all about it

Subscribed. Ride safe and our best wishes are with you Davey Bee. to people who are focused and work to make their dreams come true.

Watching this. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy!

I've got over what I think will be the worst part of the trip, the inoculations. Luckily the Travel Nurse knew her job and I didn't feel a thing.

While I've done a fair deal of motorcycle touring, I've never done an adventure. What's the difference? Well touring in my mind is what you do in Western Europe or North America. You know where you're going and what to expect. There are no real culture shocks, you try to avoid the tourist, trying hard not to be labelled with the same tag, even though that's what you are.

Adventure, going to worlds that have nothing in common with the comforts, expectations of mine. Where there are no tourists, only like minded travellers, that you wake up every morning hoping to meet, so they can advise you on the road ahead.. That's my idea of it, I maybe wrong only time will tell.

So having had the crazy dream, that is now turning into reality, I'm hoping to blog on here throughout the trip. After all, the blogs of others on here have not only inspired me, but also given me the confidence to go through with it.

I hope you'll follow it, and that it may help others to do similar.
    I look forward to seeing how you go. Can you give us some context? Which way you plan to go? Are you on your own? I've only seen a very small part of Africa and it's an amazing experience. You're in for a treat. Just take care out there.

Davey Bee, 'cmon, you cannot just put a teaser there and then vanish. If you don't post before your ride, how you gonna post during. Start practice now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This time next week I should be in Northern Spain, the plan at the moment is to travel through Portugal, as I've never been there before. However nothing is written in stone. The whole idea about this trip is to be totally fluid. I want to be in Accra, Ghana on 6th March, other than that I'll go where the wind blows, or more to the point where it's not blowing.

My weapon of choice, is the BMW G650 X Challenge, with Touratech Rallye conversion. I was lucky that pick this up early last year, from this very parish. It's got low mileage, but they've been hard miles. From what I can work out, it's been to Morocco about 3 times, but has travel through Europe in the back of a van each time. It's also been to Iceland at least once. Cosmetically, (like me) it's a little worn and battered. But like me, underneath, it's perfect with a heart of gold. All I've had to do is replace the consumables, add a set of panniers, have Tony Archer work his magic on the seat and fit a couple of driving lights.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  120.1 KB
    This is the old girl that I'll be riding.

Davey bee, Knowing the bike inside out is so important and you seem to have that sorted.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kurienp View Post
    Davey bee, Knowing the bike inside out is so important and you seem to have that sorted.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
    My worry is that I know my wife inside out, but I don't understand her. �� Thanks for the encouragement.

Take care, will be following your posts.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

My worry is that I know my wife inside out, but I don't understand her. �� Thanks for the encouragement.
    LOL !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast