Am I the only one who hates the transmission?

So, you've spent $30k on a bike that people are typically paying less than $24k for (in Florida)?

The bike has a mind of it's own, and wheelies when it feels like it?

Your dealer wants the bike for a whole month, and won't lend you another?

And then you say this is a serious thread?

:jes:jes:jes

Its like marrying a hooker. At first you are like, wow! she is great in bed! Then a while later you start itching in the pants and wondering if you made a bad choice.
I came from a worn out 800gs, and loved the power. It rides well. The wind protection is great. The stock seat is completely bearable. Its just that transmission.
I do not let up on the throttle when up shifting, and between 3rd and 6 there is no issue. If and when I use the clutch, it clunks in each gear. That and it shudders in every gear shift when using the clutch.

As far as I can tell, I am in spec compared to the manual. I see no prohibition on full throttle upshifts. I ride the bike like a sportbike, the transmission and engine are no different between this bike and the 1200r. I just prefer upright seating, tall stature, luggage, and wind protection.

So the other issue is pinging. If I am at a light on a warm day it sits there and goes tick.... tick.... tick tick tick...... tick.
Sounds like a predetonation issue?

Please stop with the "he is a troll" comments, it makes you sound like a fanboy.

Never said you was a troll :).
There does seem to be a number off bikes with transmission problems. Maybe it is quality control/setup issues. I have ridden a 2014 with good gear selection and another which was pretty bad. Check the clutch is releasing properly. Bike in gear , clutch in and you should be able to push it around ok. Not all do.

Can't help with the engine ticks, but they are fairly vocal engines. Read about some cam problems though.

Can you try another dealer? Get it going how it should and you will have a wow bike again.

Good luck.

So the other issue is pinging. If I am at a light on a warm day it sits there and goes tick.... tick.... tick tick tick...... tick.
Sounds like a predetonation issue?

Pinging happens under load, not at idle. And in my 19K miles on my GS, is not something that has ever affected mine.

OTOH, the injectors make a real racket when idling. Touch one of the black injector covers and you can feel it.

Have you tried the BMWMOA site? They may have more of a USA perspective / experience on your issue?

Please stop with the "he is a troll" comments, it makes you sound like a fanboy.

I started that, but I didn't say you were a troll, I just wasn't sure that you were not one, which isn't precisely the same thing.
I'm no fanboy- many things that BMW do are irritating as hell (RT's bluetooth module for one, their refusal to allow the Nav V to stream music from a phone for another) but I can't criticise them for things that aren't a problem for me.

I understand needing to vent though. :)

I do not let up on the throttle when up shifting, and between 3rd and 6 there is no issue. If and when I use the clutch, it clunks in each gear. That and it shudders in every gear shift when using the clutch.

Ok, that is two separate things.
First shifting between 3rd and 6th is fine for me too.
You cannot use GSP in the lower gears- that is the same for everyone- it will jerk about if you do.
That do say in the manual (as I already stated) that you can't use it all the time.

I use GSP in 3 -> 6 ascending and 6 -> 2 descending.
Anything else and it will jar.

The clunkiness, especially shifting into 1st, was specifically addressed in the 2017 revision.
Go and ride one back to back with the 2016 and see.
I am very happy to have an 2017 bike and love the gearbox.

You cannot use GSP in the lower gears- that is the same for everyone- it will jerk about if you do.

Not really

I use mine up straight from 1 all the way to 6 and then comming down generally from 6 down to 2 then clutch for 1st but even 2 to 1 is OK if there is still load on the transmission

Maybe I just got a good one but I think it's more down to getting used to the system,

Also I came from a Crosstourer DCT so had already got used to not clutching or blipping

Clunk, clunk, clunk goes the transmission. The transmission on my $30,000 2016 BMW 1200gsa....

First full list price on your GSA with premium package is only around $22,500, so while I would say mine shifts poorly for a $30K bike the shifting is actually quite acceptable for a $22K motorcycle. :D Don't have oil above 1/2 way up the glass do you?

So, you've spent $30k on a bike that people are typically paying less than $24k for (in Florida)?

The bike has a mind of it's own, and wheelies when it feels like it?

Your dealer wants the bike for a whole month, and won't lend you another?

And then you say this is a serious thread?

:jes:jes:jes

You can spec a bike out to be well over 30,000 and mine has every option under the sun.

Clunk, clunk, clunk goes the transmission.

My old 2014 GSLC was like that from 1,2,3,. My new October 2016 GSLC the gearbox is completely smooth, I don't have gear assist but I had a ride on the demo GSA with the new transmission and is brilliant. Reject the bike...I did that twice:D
PS. What did you get for $30000? The price here for a fully speck TE or black + all extras with panniers + GPS is around $21925 or£18000 :confused:

Clunk, clunk, clunk goes the transmission. The transmission on my $30,000 2016 BMW 1200gsa.
After riding an 800gs for 5 years I am left wondering why anyone buys this bike.
The transmission is so bad, I feel like it could plow a field. Honestly had better shifting in my 1975 Ford tractor then this thing has. For $30,000 I expect much more. Then let's talk about shift assistant pro. Sometimes it's nice, to not have to use the clutch when changing gears. Here is the issue thou, every once in a while... It decides to wheelie at random. I will be full throttle, hit the next gear and it cuts the throttle for a full second, then gives back 100% throttle. This is very fun at 55, when the wheel starts to lift....

So I tell this to the dealer, who is more then happy to look into it for me, if I am willing to leave the bike with him for a full month, with no loaner. Then, maybe he can get it covered. Well it's my primary transport, and I am not riding a Honda scooter 60 miles a day for work.

Quite simply this motorcycle is the worst new anything I have ever owned. I could get more value for money buying Ebola. At least I would get what I paid for.

Tell me, why is this bike so loved, with such a glaring defect? I should have got the 1000xr, except it didn't take the aluminum panniers.

Yer sure!!!

First full list price on your GSA with premium package is only around $22,500, so while I would say mine shifts poorly for a $30K bike the shifting is actually quite acceptable for a $22K motorcycle. :D Don't have oil above 1/2 way up the glass do you?

There are more options then the premium pack.
15492405_10211271935542230_4996858220622439119_n.jpg

Gear Shift Assist Pro on my GSA was awful and I thought it was me.
Dealer recalibrated/updated it after about 1200 miles - it was out apparently - not working right - it wasn't me!!
Now it changes gear much better with the GSApro.
Get it hooked up on the dealers kit and get it sorted - night and day.
Dare I say it CAN and does smoothly change through from 1 to 2 now (after the recalibration/update), though I don't normally use it that way and the downshift facility with the GSApro is working too, when it didn't before dealer fix.
Software Update?

In a consumer oriented market like the USA I find it hard to understand a dealer treating a customer like this. I find it harder to believe that you are standing for it. Whatever about the dealer the American arm of BNW would be taking a very strong interest in your case. And referring you to the new dealer they have appointed in the area to replace the current one. JJH

In a consumer oriented market like the USA I find it hard to understand a dealer treating a customer like this. I find it harder to believe that you are standing for it. Whatever about the dealer the American arm of BNW would be taking a very strong interest in your case. And referring you to the new dealer they have appointed in the area to replace the current one. JJH

We have two. This one in orange park that is HUGE, and a tiny 4 bike store in port orange.
I miss max BMW in New york. They did it all, including free wash with EVERY service.

So, did you actually test ride a GSLC 1200 before shelling out your hard eared $30,000 dollars.

All of my GS's (LC's) have had great transmissions, I think your bike has a fault.

My second bike is an F800GS.

Ffs not another thread about the gearbox! I think most people accept It's not the best box they have ever used but the bike has so many great attributes you put up with it.I only realise it's not great when I take my ZZR1400 for a blast.

Back
Top Bottom