Am I the only one who hates the transmission?

I got three seats with my bike, bought second hand, two of which had never been fitted/used.

Ps my 2005 clunks around first but clutchless changes in the blink of an eye(on the way up)..

I agree totally with all of the above re my 14 LC

Not all GS LCs are the same though. A friend has had a 13 LC from new and his gearbox has always been great

That's the nail on the head with LC gearboxes. Why are they so different? Build quality? My 16my is all good, but I accept this is not the case for everyone. Even if the OP had a test ride and it went well, there's no way of knowing that his brand new one was duff.

No probs with mine.Yours is a piece of shit.give it back and get another one.

A side note to the price. I went to the dealer to get the lowest spec bike I could that had cruise. After a USA search is was determined that if I wanted one it would be 8 months, and then maybe...
I could order one, but they may never actually get it. They suggested I ride both the GSA and the 1000XR, as I was indecisive. Wind protection and luggage holding were more important then knee dragging so I went with the 1200gsa.
When I went for a ride, I was told that the bike I rode did not have gear assist installed. This turned out to be bad info. My main qualm was the sound of the engine noise was deafening. This may have prevented me from noticing the transmission.
I made the decision to live with the engine noise, and get the 1200. The last GSA they had was the fully specced out model. It has all of the stupid things such as keyless ride (only one fob, WTF), Gear shift, trick lowered raised seat, chrome pipes, everything.
Not wanting to wait as I have trashed my 800gs in 5 years, I bit the bullet and got the high spec model. Do I regret it? Not as such.
This thing has tons of torque, can climb over 130MPH without hesitation, and in the rain I do not go swimming. The brakes are amazing too. OH, and those LED headlights.... WOW...
Its just that transmission sucks. I have had smoother shifts on a huffy 10 speed.

After reading this

I'm back to the dealer!!!

My 2017 GSA with shift assist is poor

I reported at running in service how difficult and unpredictable the changes are .... Will it won't it let it change gear .... And find myself grabbing the clutch when it won't change :mad:

Workshop said it will get better with more miles !!!

I've now done 1500 miles and really not much better... Especially at lower speeds or gears ...

Ok I didn't test ride ... But I've had a few GSAs over last few years ... And presumed this would be an improvement !!! It isn't ... And I wouldnt opt for the shift assist again

I reported at running in service how difficult and unpredictable the changes are .... Will it won't it let it change gear .... And find myself grabbing the clutch when it won't change :mad:

I've now done 1500 miles and really not much better... Especially at lower speeds or gears ...

Ok I didn't test ride ... But I've had a few GSAs over last few years ... And presumed this would be an improvement !!! It isn't ... And I wouldnt opt for the shift assist again

It sounds like your gear shift assist needs resetting. You can do it yourself, just ask your dealer how. IIRC, it involves running it at high revs in each gear (which can be done on the center stand if you're feeling brave).

You implying that an F800 is somehow inferior to the other 3? :D

Ha ha ... not at all. I had one on loan for an afternoon and thought it was a great bike ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It sounds like your gear shift assist needs resetting. You can do it yourself, just ask your dealer how. IIRC, it involves running it at high revs in each gear (which can be done on the center stand if you're feeling brave).

Will give dealer another chance at sorting ... Then I'm going to reject bike ... Simple

I tried re-setting the gearbox perameters of my 2014 GS using a GS911. For a short while after, the quick shift didn't work but I learned that this was the bike re-calabrating itself. After around 50 miles it started working again, was better than it ever had been but still no where near a good as other BMW bikes I'd had.

The gearbox problem I had was more mechanical rather than electronics because it was horrible to change gear even with the clutch.

I'm disapoited to hear of a gearbox prolem with a 2017 GS because from all I've read I thought the prolem had been solved and I was considering buying another.

I've got a brilliant suggestion to OP - just don't use shift assist, use the clutch instead. It is how motorcycles have been used for decades with good results. Shift Assist is an aid, a gadget, an afterthought. It doesn't make the transmission "automatic" and there are situations where it is not meant to work. The new Africa Twin has an auto transmission that you can override with buttons - maybe that is the bike for you. Also, if you are attempting to gear switch at "full throttle" you are mad. Even with no Shift Assist, what do you think would happen if you pulled and abruptly released the clutch at full revs without at least easing down on the gas? By the sound of it you were expecting a sportsbike with better wind protection. Well, hate to break it to you, but the bike isn't it. There are better bikes from BMW for going "full revs" with different, much more compatible transmissions for this silly purpouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTz;4592692. said:
Also, if you are attempting to gear switch at "full throttle" you are mad. Even with no Shift Assist, what do you think would happen if you pulled and abruptly released the clutch at full revs without at least easing down on the gas?.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all, that is exactly how the shift assist is designed to work and I find that the more the transmission is loaded the better it changes

For maximum acceleration I just nail the throttle and snick up just before the red line in each gear, the shifter blips the throttle for you

The electronics stop it wheelying too so you can be as untalented as you like :cool:

Is it worth a recap on the Shift Assistant Pro?

Culled from the PDF version of the Rider's Handook:-

* When riding at a steady speed
in a low gear at high engine
rpm, an attempt to shift gear
without pulling the clutch can
cause a severe load-change
reaction. BMW Motorrad recommends
disengaging the
clutch for shifts in these circumstances.
It is advisable to
avoid using the Pro shift assistant
at engine speeds close to
the limits at which the governor
cuts in to limit engine rpm.

* Shift assistance is not available
in the following situations:
- with the clutch lever pulled
- shift lever not in its initial position
- upshifts with the throttle valve
closed (coasting) and when
slowing.

* After a gearshift, the shift lever
has to be fully released before
another gearshift with the Pro
shift assistant can take place.

BMW should just dump shift assist and develop a true dual clutch like Honda uses for those that don't like using a clutch.

A side note to the price. I went to the dealer to get the lowest spec bike I could that had cruise. I wanted one it would be 8 months, and then maybe...

It took 3 weeks for mine to arrive, standard with cruise and heated grips. I can't belive you have such long delivery dates in the US, unless your dealer is full of shit:confused:

It took 3 weeks for mine to arrive, standard with cruise and heated grips. I can't believe you have such long delivery dates in the US, unless your dealer is full of shit:confused:

You don't get factory order Japanese bikes (or cars, for that matter) in Europe, do you? You get what's in the importer's stock (either landed or on the sea) or in the dealer network (possibly). We're spoilt in Europe with a brilliant trunking system getting heavy goods delivered, door to door, between countries in days. If FCL (full container load) and ocean freight are involved, the time telescopes out dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom