Am I the only one who hates the transmission?

scoobert

Reaction score
Clunk, clunk, clunk goes the transmission. The transmission on my $30,000 2016 BMW 1200gsa.
After riding an 800gs for 5 years I am left wondering why anyone buys this bike.
The transmission is so bad, I feel like it could plow a field. Honestly had better shifting in my 1975 Ford tractor then this thing has. For $30,000 I expect much more. Then let's talk about shift assistant pro. Sometimes it's nice, to not have to use the clutch when changing gears. Here is the issue thou, every once in a while... It decides to wheelie at random. I will be full throttle, hit the next gear and it cuts the throttle for a full second, then gives back 100% throttle. This is very fun at 55, when the wheel starts to lift....

So I tell this to the dealer, who is more then happy to look into it for me, if I am willing to leave the bike with him for a full month, with no loaner. Then, maybe he can get it covered. Well it's my primary transport, and I am not riding a Honda scooter 60 miles a day for work.

Quite simply this motorcycle is the worst new anything I have ever owned. I could get more value for money buying Ebola. At least I would get what I paid for.

Tell me, why is this bike so loved, with such a glaring defect? I should have got the 1000xr, except it didn't take the aluminum panniers.

Did you test ride it before shelling out 30k on such a dog of a bike?

Yes, but I thought I was riding a bike without shift assist pro.
I said to the salesguy, I don't think this has shift assist on it, I was jamming from gear to gear, and I hope its ok?
He said yeah, it will be fine. It did have shift assist pro.....

Yes, but I thought I was riding a bike without shift assist pro.
I said to the salesguy, I don't think this has shift assist on it, I was jamming from gear to gear, and I hope its ok?
He said yeah, it will be fine. It did have shift assist pro.....

Not entirely sure this isn't a troll but I'll assume it isn't and answer it thusly:

My 2017 doesn't have this problem.
There are changes to that gearbox but from your description it sounds like you are riding it in a way that is beyond the bike's design.

The manual is quite clear that 70-80% of gear shifts can be done without using the clutch, not all of them.
It isn't useful or safe in all situations.
If you want to shift at full throttle then maybe use the clutch?
I roll off and roll on for that type of riding- it is smoother.

I can tell you that the XR, R and RR will be much, much more brutal if you try shifting full throttle.
(I've got an S1000R, FWIW.)
I know the bike well enough to never try full throttle shifting in Dynamic Pro mode- the front wheel will be up so quickly that it would flip the bike.

I've copy/pasted the relevant section from the manual for you here:

Shift assistant
with Pro shift assistantOE
Shift assistant Pro
Your vehicle is equipped with
a Pro shift assistant, a system originally developed for racing and now adapted for the touring sector. It permits upshifts and downshifts without declutching or closing the throttle in virtually all load and rpm ranges.
Advantages
70-80 % of all gearshifts on a trip can be done without using the clutch.
Less relative movement between rider and passenger
z
Engineering details
because the shift pauses are shorter.
It is not necessary to close the throttle valve when shifting un- der acceleration.
When braking and downshifting (throttle valve closed), engine speed is adjusted by blipping the throttle.
Shift time is shorter than a gearshift with clutch actuation.
In order for the system to identify a request for a gearshift, the rider has to move the shift lever from its idle position in the desired dir- ection against the force of the spring through a certain "over- travel" at ordinary speed or rap- idly and keep the shift lever in this position until the gearshift is completed. It is not necessary
to increase the force applied to the shift lever while shifting is
in progress. Once the gearshift has completed the shift lever has
to be fully released before an- other gearshift with the Pro shift assistant can take place. When shifting gears with the Pro shift assistant, the rider has to keep load state (throttle twistgrip pos- ition) constant before and during the gearshift. A change in the position of the throttle twistgrip during a gearshift can cause the function to abort and/or lead to a missed shift. The Pro shift as- sistant provides no assistance for the gearshift if the rider de- clutches.
Downshifting
Downshifting is assisted until maximum rpm for the target gear to be selected is reached. This prevents overreving.
Upshifting
The Pro shift assistant provides no assistance if engine speed drops below idle during an up- shift.

I think the transmission isn't that bad at all. I love my GSP and I can GUARANTEE that this bike has better shifting than a 1975 Ford tractor.
As you are experiencing - maybe yours has an issue that needs resolving, and time with the dealer is well spent.

The s1000XR is a sublime bike and the quick shifter is lightning fast - FYI you can buy panniers for it so maybe that's the bike for you.

The gear change between 3rd and 4th on my 2014 GSA can be a bit crunchy if the clutch is not fully disengaged otherwise the gearbox is OK.

No gear assist on mine. :thumb2

Clunk, clunk, clunk goes the transmission. The transmission on my $30,000 2016 BMW 1200gsa.
After riding an 800gs for 5 years I am left wondering why anyone buys this bike.
The transmission is so bad, I feel like it could plow a field. Honestly had better shifting in my 1975 Ford tractor then this thing has. For $30,000 I expect much more. Then let's talk about shift assistant pro. Sometimes it's nice, to not have to use the clutch when changing gears. Here is the issue thou, every once in a while... It decides to wheelie at random. I will be full throttle, hit the next gear and it cuts the throttle for a full second, then gives back 100% throttle. This is very fun at 55, when the wheel starts to lift....

So I tell this to the dealer, who is more then happy to look into it for me, if I am willing to leave the bike with him for a full month, with no loaner. Then, maybe he can get it covered. Well it's my primary transport, and I am not riding a Honda scooter 60 miles a day for work.

Quite simply this motorcycle is the worst new anything I have ever owned. I could get more value for money buying Ebola. At least I would get what I paid for.

Tell me, why is this bike so loved, with such a glaring defect? I should have got the 1000xr, except it didn't take the aluminum panniers.

Don't know about gear shift assist pro because I don't have it (couldn't see the point) - however if you use the clutch and throttle correctly the gear-change is just fine, but it is certainly different to other motorcycles :)

My 2016 clunks into first and that's it. Gearbox is great up and down the box. GSP works spot on as well. Throttle wide open and just snick up the box, remembering to remove the pressure on the gear lever between each change (you are doing that?).
Going down the box, throttle closed totally, revs allowed to drop, press down on the gear lever and she does her own little blip of the throttle. The gear selects in silence.

I never use GSP going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. I like clutch control at low speed.

When you got the bike, you posted 'WOW, what a machine' - when did it start playing up?

If you are using GSP as per the manual then your bike has a problem, it needs to go back to BMW. I know my UK dealer would provide a loan bike without question.

The gear change between 3rd and 4th on my 2014 GSA can be a bit crunchy if the clutch is not fully disengaged otherwise the gearbox is OK.

No gear assist on mine. :thumb2

No mine neither but transmission is agricultural but i have got used to it, apparently they are better on the later models?

My 2016 clunks into first and that's it. Gearbox is great up and down the box. GSP works spot on as well. Throttle wide open and just snick up the box, remembering to remove the pressure on the gear lever between each change (you are doing that?).
Going down the box, throttle closed totally, revs allowed to drop, press down on the gear lever and she does her own little blip of the throttle. The gear selects in silence.

I never use GSP going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. I like clutch control at low speed.

When you got the bike, you posted 'WOW, what a machine' - when did it start playing up?

If you are using GSP as per the manual then your bike has a problem, it needs to go back to BMW. I know my UK dealer would provide a loan bike without question.

Its like marrying a hooker. At first you are like, wow! she is great in bed! Then a while later you start itching in the pants and wondering if you made a bad choice.
I came from a worn out 800gs, and loved the power. It rides well. The wind protection is great. The stock seat is completely bearable. Its just that transmission.
I do not let up on the throttle when up shifting, and between 3rd and 6 there is no issue. If and when I use the clutch, it clunks in each gear. That and it shudders in every gear shift when using the clutch.

As far as I can tell, I am in spec compared to the manual. I see no prohibition on full throttle upshifts. I ride the bike like a sportbike, the transmission and engine are no different between this bike and the 1200r. I just prefer upright seating, tall stature, luggage, and wind protection.

So the other issue is pinging. If I am at a light on a warm day it sits there and goes tick.... tick.... tick tick tick...... tick.
Sounds like a predetonation issue?

Please stop with the "he is a troll" comments, it makes you sound like a fanboy.

My 07 R1200GT and 13 LC was terrible eventually fixed by BMW.
my 14 and 16 R1200GSA's is good not perfect but good.
Can you ride another one and see if it is like yours.

I had a GS which i bought in April 2016 and the gearbox was a bit rough. My next GS was bought in August 2016 and was totally different, Much better gearbox I don't have the quick shifter on mine but still don't need the clutch. Smooth as silk. Perhaps you need to go and spend another 30 grand to get one with a better gearbox. Oh, and perhaps a bit better throttle control when changing as well.

As for the pinging, they are noisier than previous generations. What octane fuel are you using ?

Its just that transmission.
I do not let up on the throttle when up shifting, and between 3rd and 6 there is no issue. If and when I use the clutch, it clunks in each gear. That and it shudders in every gear shift when using the clutch.

As far as I can tell, I am in spec compared to the manual. I see no prohibition on full throttle upshifts. I ride the bike like a sportbike,

So the other issue is pinging. If I am at a light on a warm day it sits there and goes tick.... tick.... tick tick tick...... tick.
Sounds like a predetonation issue?

The gearboxes are pretty klunky on them but no worse than the average Honda box, Mines a 2016 with quick shifter, Full throttle changes are no problem and it will go up or down 1-6 and 6-1 no problem as long as you are either on or off the throttle
Only thing it doesn't like is if you blip or feather the throttle but thats how it is designed

I doubt very much that it is "pinking" with modern engine management, the ticking noise could be exhaust pipes cooling or maybe injectors opening, both make different sounds

To be honest at tickover they sound like bag of spanners so any ticking noise for me is drowned out by the general cam chain clatter etc.

Back
Top Bottom