Siguenza
Alcocer
Cuenca
Almodova del pinar
Albacete
Pozohondo
Calasparra
Fuente Alamo.

Will be doing this in the beginning of August, I am not sure when i will return as i have use of a villa for the first 2 weeks at least.

Now this will be the first time i have ridden in Spain and the first time across the pond since Norway in 1982. I am not keen on sitting on a autoroute/motorway, I would done enough of that getting to the tunnel and blasting down through France.

Any helpful tips, pointers etc would be gratefully received including suitable maps as a backup to the satnav. Also what can i expect to pay for fuel, are the petrol stations manned in Spain or are they following France and going card only payment?

How friendly are the police. i have an old style pink paper driving licence do i need to upgrade this or have an IDP?

Cheers

The problem you are faced with is that Central Spain in August you will be facing temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius plus. this is the main reason all Spanish get to the coast.

First time I went to Zaragoza it was August and around 43 C in the shade we spent 90% of the time holed up in an air conditioned apartment it was so hot you just couldn't do anything.

I rode down to Denia last September from St Malo, I stayed in San Sebastian on the way, however I did ride the auto route. in fact I did San Seb to Denia in one day via Pamplona, Zaragoza and Valencia.

If I were you I'd ride the Mountains of the Pyrenees to the Med the first day then ride the coast the second.

The problem you are faced with is that Central Spain in August you will be facing temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius plus. this is the main reason all Spanish get to the coast.

First time I went to Zaragoza it was August and around 43 C in the shade we spent 90% of the time holed up in an air conditioned apartment it was so hot you just couldn't do anything.

I rode down to Denia last September from St Malo, I stayed in San Sebastian on the way, however I did ride the auto route. in fact I did San Seb to Denia in one day via Pamplona, Zaragoza and Valencia.

If I were you I'd ride the Mountains of the Pyrenees to the Med the first day then ride the coast the second.

Yeah i thought that the high temps of August would be a major factor, do you have a suggested route which i could look at, i'm keen to avoid the auto route MickDB1 has suggested one route which i will look at but i'm open to options/alternatives!

Across the Pyrenees in one day avoiding auto routes is a lot of riding.

This is only a suggestion have a look on google maps and decide for yourself your preference if this isn't what you want.

San Sebastian
NA-4150
NA-170
N-121-A
Pamplona
A-21 <-- I know you want to avoid auto routes but this one will save time and not too long.
Jaca
N-260 for as long as you wish then head south on either C-13 or C-14 towards Tarragona

Google maps directions is giving roughly 10 hours to complete taking C-14 may be less time on C-13.

I guess Mick DB1'a route will be great - he gets down that way often enough :) but in the main if you take a route a little way to the west, i.e. through Logroño, Soria, Teruel, etc. you'll be riding down the System Iberia rather than in the Ebro valley of the plains of Castilla. It will still be hot bit nothing like the 40º temperatures that the other guys are talking about - BTW 40º degree is quite unusual - but more importantly it'll be less humid, which makes a big difference.

Meanwhile:

Across the Pyrenees in one day avoiding auto routes is a lot of riding.

This is only a suggestion have a look on google maps and decide for yourself your preference if this isn't what you want.

San Sebastian
NA-4150
NA-170
N-121-A
Pamplona
A-21 <-- I know you want to avoid auto routes but this one will save time and not too long.
Jaca
N-260 for as long as you wish then head south on either C-13 or C-14 towards Tarragona

Google maps directions is giving roughly 10 hours to complete taking C-14 may be less time on C-13.

So how do you get all the way down to Murcia from Tarragona, where I live, without either sticking on the AP7 - and paying a pretty penny - or sitting behind column of truck and skinflint camper vans, etc. all that way down the coast? Well intentioned as you say but don't join the C-14 as it's the main road from andorra down to the coastal report of Salou and is really horrible ...

Regs

Simon

OK It was only a suggestion you have way more local knowledge than I do.

I am completely unaware of traffic density I am simply looking at roads on a map.

Only reasoning for the coastal route was simply avoiding high temperatures and did not consider traffic conditions. :(

I'll get my coat!!

OK It was only a suggestion you have way more local knowledge than I do.

I am completely unaware of traffic density I am simply looking at roads on a map.

Only reasoning for the coastal route was simply avoiding high temperatures and did not consider traffic conditions. :(

I'll get my coat!!

Don't worry, quite reasonable not to know the local conditions - I'd be lost in Britain nowadays! But it's worth noting that as a general rule both here snd in France that when a toll road runs alongside a 'normal' highway the latter will be congested, not only with long distance traffic avoiding the tolls but local traffic as ribbon developments tends to occur near the exits. In the case of the Mediterranean this extends pretty much down the entire coastline, sadly.
'
There are a few sections where they've but toll free autovias ('AP' = autopsist, i.e. toll, 'A' = auto via) but not enough to make the route viable.

Actually, your idea about running down the Pyrenees is sound, in fact if one were to head south on the C-13, through Lleida and onwards to Teruel via Flix (C-12), Morella (N-232) and Cantavieja (A-226) you have a relatively short crossing of the Ebro valley - where the heat is - and brilliant roads to boot. But in two days ...

Regs

Simon

Why only 2 days to get to your destination, when you have at least two weeks in a villa???

I would take a couple of extra days to "take you where your nose leads you" (pardon the expression)

Theres nothing better than having the freedom of looking at a map and riding to a desired place or riding on a certain road.

Like I did last may/june, landed in bilbao, and headed for the Michelin Map routes with a green band along side the road. no real agenda but to enjoy spain, and to end up in Vilamoura, Portugal to pick up the Doris in 10 days time.

Last edited:
Don't worry, quite reasonable not to know the local conditions - I'd be lost in Britain nowadays! But it's worth noting that as a general rule both here snd in France that when a toll road runs alongside a 'normal' highway the latter will be congested, not only with long distance traffic avoiding the tolls but local traffic as ribbon developments tends to occur near the exits. In the case of the Mediterranean this extends pretty much down the entire coastline, sadly.
'
There are a few sections where they've but toll free autovias ('AP' = autopsist, i.e. toll, 'A' = auto via) but not enough to make the route viable.

Actually, your idea about running down the Pyrenees is sound, in fact if one were to head south on the C-13, through Lleida and onwards to Teruel via Flix (C-12), Morella (N-232) and Cantavieja (A-226) you have a relatively short crossing of the Ebro valley - where the heat is - and brilliant roads to boot. But in two days ...

Regs

Simon

I looked at your suggestion, a very good alternative. personally I'd give more time maybe an extra days ride and enjoy the trip.

top and bottom of it is if yer want to get there in a hurry, yer can do it, but if you start enjoying what there is in spain on the way there yer might not get there. I do, and I bet simon does, still "find" things every trip out and about. Its just great is Spain

top and bottom of it is if yer want to get there in a hurry, yer can do it, but if you start enjoying what there is in spain on the way there yer might not get there. I do, and I bet simon does, still "find" things every trip out and about. Its just great is Spain

:beerjug:

One of the previous posts mentions temperatures of 43C...
I've rode through central Spain in a heatwave in a summer mesh suit and its fecking tiresome, get yourself one of these

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/cool-down-vest/

money well spent :thumb

I wear a mesh jacket all year round. In the heat of the Summer I just set off early, and then when it heats up I pour water down my front and back of the jacket. I always wear a light weight tee shirt under it, you can repeat when needed, In the winter I just put a zipped sweat top under the jacket. Another plus for Spain, a wonderful and diverse country.

One of the previous posts mentions temperatures of 43C...
I've rode through central Spain in a heatwave in a summer mesh suit and its fecking tiresome, get yourself one of these

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/cool-down-vest/

money well spent :thumb

Ha ha, bring it on, please. The 'official' temperature down in town is -8ºC who on my terrace - 350 metres higher hence not so cold - has it at -4ª! Yesterday was a bit warmer but with winds gusting up to around 100 KPH, 178 recorded just a few miles away ...

That lining looks interesting but there's only so much clobber one can have, or is there?:bounce1

Meanwhile you can save a lot of problems just by thinking about your own behaviour as Rockred says;

get up early, i.e. around 06.00, and ride as much as you can, especially getting out onto the open road if you're staying in towns or cities (skip breakfast if you're in hotels as this will devour time and settle your bill the evening before so you don't wait for reception to open),

avoid air conditioning when you stop as your body will acclimatise to this and not cope with the return into the furnace - since the smoking ban most places have terraces and most of these have shaded areas, stop and eat little and often - note that most places serve cooked breakfast form about 09.00 - 11.00 and then tapas and doorstop sandwiches - bocadillos - all day,

don't stop for the big Spanish lunch break and 'siesta' 14.00 - 16.00 as this will a) break the 'rules' above, and b) water a golden time when you have the roads more or less to yourself so no chugging along trying to overtake with your own engine adding to the inferno

the hottest then of day is actually around 17.00 - 19.00 as the ground gives up its heat, this is also 'rush hour' - or one of them! - in towns and even villages so take some time out sitting in the shade, preferably near to water - lots of swimming places to have your togs to hand - skinny dipping is fine bit be prepared for company, the locals know all the swimming places too and will turn up mob handed from about 18.00!

check in to your digs from about 20.00 and take a stroll, paseo, around town and have a quiet beer - not ten! - on the town's ramble or wherever the shade terraces are, look at pretty women - or men if you wish :D - and eat late, from 21.30 when the restaurant will be fully working.

Coming back to the riding gear; if you do use mesh, etc. bear in mind that you'll be a serious risk of dehydration (and you have to check your electrolyte balance - you can kale it worse by just drinking loads of water). I prefer the 'Berber' method and wrap up with minimal ventilation and keep my body in balance with its environment.

Enjoy and if you et fed up picture yourself having a holiday in Skegness :beer:

Regs

Simon

Why only 2 days to get to your destination, when you have at least two weeks in a villa???

I would take a couple of extra days to "take you where your nose leads you" (pardon the expression)

Theres nothing better than having the freedom of looking at a map and riding to a desired place or riding on a certain road.

Like I did last may/june, landed in bilbao, and headed for the Michelin Map routes with a green band along side the road. no real agenda but to enjoy spain, and to end up in Vilamoura, Portugal to pick up the Doris in 10 days time.

SWMBO is flying out on the Wednesday and i don't want to push my luck in leaving any earlier Leaving Home on the Sunday.

I wear a mesh jacket all year round. In the heat of the Summer I just set off early, and then when it heats up I pour water down my front and back of the jacket. I always wear a light weight tee shirt under it, you can repeat when needed, In the winter I just put a zipped sweat top under the jacket. Another plus for Spain, a wonderful and diverse country.

I am in the market for one of these what is your preferred choice?

Ha ha, bring it on, please. The 'official' temperature down in town is -8ºC who on my terrace - 350 metres higher hence not so cold - has it at -4ª! Yesterday was a bit warmer but with winds gusting up to around 100 KPH, 178 recorded just a few miles away ...

That lining looks interesting but there's only so much clobber one can have, or is there?:bounce1

Meanwhile you can save a lot of problems just by thinking about your own behaviour as Rockred says;

get up early, i.e. around 06.00, and ride as much as you can, especially getting out onto the open road if you're staying in towns or cities (skip breakfast if you're in hotels as this will devour time and settle your bill the evening before so you don't wait for reception to open),

avoid air conditioning when you stop as your body will acclimatise to this and not cope with the return into the furnace - since the smoking ban most places have terraces and most of these have shaded areas, stop and eat little and often - note that most places serve cooked breakfast form about 09.00 - 11.00 and then tapas and doorstop sandwiches - bocadillos - all day,

don't stop for the big Spanish lunch break and 'siesta' 14.00 - 16.00 as this will a) break the 'rules' above, and b) water a golden time when you have the roads more or less to yourself so no chugging along trying to overtake with your own engine adding to the inferno

the hottest then of day is actually around 17.00 - 19.00 as the ground gives up its heat, this is also 'rush hour' - or one of them! - in towns and even villages so take some time out sitting in the shade, preferably near to water - lots of swimming places to have your togs to hand - skinny dipping is fine bit be prepared for company, the locals know all the swimming places too and will turn up mob handed from about 18.00!

check in to your digs from about 20.00 and take a stroll, paseo, around town and have a quiet beer - not ten! - on the town's ramble or wherever the shade terraces are, look at pretty women - or men if you wish :D - and eat late, from 21.30 when the restaurant will be fully working.

Coming back to the riding gear; if you do use mesh, etc. bear in mind that you'll be a serious risk of dehydration (and you have to check your electrolyte balance - you can kale it worse by just drinking loads of water). I prefer the 'Berber' method and wrap up with minimal ventilation and keep my body in balance with its environment.

Enjoy and if you et fed up picture yourself having a holiday in Skegness :beer:

Regs

Simon

Thanks for that Spanish Biker, MickDB1 has also given some useful info. Also thanks to everyone for the tips, pointers etc. No doubt there will be more to come:thumb2

Hi Turpin, I have a Hein Gericke semi mesh that I no longer use. A year ago I bought a Motoport Kevlar mesh that I wear all the time now, and Motoport mesh trousers, they were expensive, but IMO its the best out there.

Also as Spanish Rider says, when the temps get really hot ( 38c and above ) its a good idea also to try to keep the hot air out, as its getting above your blood temp and will heat you up. Get plenty of water drunk and poured down the inside of your jacket and pants. I was on my way back from the Picos last July, and came through Sevilla at 9 at night and it was still 38 c. In Northern Spain last night some places were below - 12 c yet down here in the South yesterday I had lunch outside, sat in the Sun. Its a Country of contrasts and well worth exploring.

Today its cold 10c and raining, about as cold as it gets here in the day.

Hi Turpin, I have a Hein Gericke semi mesh that I no longer use. A year ago I bought a Motoport Kevlar mesh that I wear all the time now, and Motoport mesh trousers, they were expensive, but IMO its the best out there.

Also as Spanish Rider says, when the temps get really hot ( 38c and above ) its a good idea also to try to keep the hot air out, as its getting above your blood temp and will heat you up. Get plenty of water drunk and poured down the inside of your jacket and pants. I was on my way back from the Picos last July, and came through Sevilla at 9 at night and it was still 38 c. In Northern Spain last night some places were below - 12 c yet down here in the South yesterday I had lunch outside, sat in the Sun. Its a Country contrasts and well worth exploring.

Hi Rockred

I'll give them a call and see whats what, their website is a bit limited. I was also looking a Klim Latitude? and Spidi Netstream no doubt there will more out there once we get closer to summer!?

Also as Spanish Rider says, when the temps get really hot ( 38c and above ) its a good idea also to try to keep the hot air out, as its getting above your blood temp and will heat you up. Get plenty of water drunk and poured down the inside of your jacket and pants. I was on my way back from the Picos last July, and came through Sevilla at 9 at night and it was still 38 c. In Northern Spain last night some places were below - 12 c yet down here in the South yesterday I had lunch outside, sat in the Sun. Its a Country of contrasts and well worth exploring.

Today its cold 10c and raining, about as cold as it gets here in the day.

Ha ha, it's -8º here right now at my house ...

Simon

Back
Top Bottom