North Italy - recommended roads required

AMB

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Staying 6 days in Northern Italy (Malles Venosta - near Stelvio) in June. Looking for recommended good biking roads in the area. Any other places of interest or locations worth a visit?
Thanks

Given that you've not once said, "Thank you" by way if reply in any of the other threads where you've asked for and been given help, let's be brief:

Go to the ADAC maps thread.... or the only roads you'll ever need thread.... or buy a copy of Hermann's bible of Alpine travel.... and, not least, for feck's sake.... buy a bloody map.

PS You are apparently staying near the Stelvio, one of the most iconic 'Must do' roads, though some think it is well shit, mate. You chose that location for some reason, I guess? Now, expand that thought.... What dragged you there for six days. You got there somehow; how did you manage that? Now apply yourself to selecting routes to ride.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...Free-download-PDF-s-into-iBook?highlight=ADAC

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...utes-(OK-some-missing)-and-most-of-the-passes

http://www.mapsman.com/store/product.php?id=484

Depends on how many miles you are happy doing in a day as a run on the bike, some excellent round trips but can be over 200 miles in a day , that said a couple of them could easily be incorporated in either the run down or the return trip

Yes. Thanks for your help and advice. I do not enter the forums often and it is a miss of me not to say thanks.
Did the iconic Stelvio a few years ago on a trip to Landeck. Covered some of the routes in Austria but not northern Italy. Stelvio was ok. Good to tick it off your list.
Thanks again for the links. Will have a look as soon as I get time.

Thanks. We do not set a daily mileage. Short (80mls) or long (200mls). We just try to get routes that make you smile. Stop for coffees and lunch.

Yip. Got the Michelin maps of the area. Usually try to get some ideas from the forum and highlight them on the maps. Something to do on winter days, ready for the trip.
Thanks for your advice.

Northern Italian (and French and other routes) can all be found here

If you want to see the stories that go with the routes, the magazine containing them all is here

Staying 6 days in Northern Italy (Malles Venosta - near Stelvio) in June. Looking for recommended good biking roads in the area. Any other places of interest or locations worth a visit?
Thanks

If you stayed at Landeck (Enzian?) previously, I would have thought you had done most of the routes around Mals - many bikers use the Haidepark restaurant above Mals as a handy stop for the Stelvio/Offenpass & all the routes around Davos/St Moritz are usually done from Landeck too. The Venosta Valley itself, beautiful as it is, has become one long traffic queue in season, which puts a damper on rides to the East - you have to get past the Forst Brewery to Merano before the roads open up & traffic eases in my experience. Thus, I would question the choice of base camp - each to their own I guess, or are you trying to address the needs of a group here?

Why not base in the Dolomites & try some different passes - Simon has given you the links to the Ride Directory & there is a concurrent thread looking at Hotel recommendations.

Whatever though, enjoy the trip ..................... KEN

Thanks squibb34.
Yes, I do know the area. A bit. Last time at Enzian we went out with the guide. Easy riding. Have the maps. We tried for Enzian again but full through June and July.
Plan to do some other passes. I skied in Cavalese last year. Not far. Good roads and surface. Plan to do some routes in the Dolomites and perhaps back into Austria.
Just pulling together as much advice and info as I can for some pre-planning.
Thanks again. Especially on the advice about busy roads. Can spoil the fun.

julier pass just has been resurfaced . maloja pass is wicked at the top ( don't look down ! ) little st bernard is laid back . furka pass .

ANYTHING WITH TARMAC ON IT

Fluella pass
Timmelsjoch
Giau pass

All superb.

Also a little pass off Stelvio, think its on the Bormio side, Umbrail. It was a dirt road last time I did it for several miles. But relatively smooth and no problems on road bikes with standard tyres, something a bit different.

We went over the Gavia pass by mistake on route to Stelvio. It was snowing at the top at beginning of June but passable. Worth a look if your close.

I'll be in the area on June 10th. I've got a room booked at the western end of the Susten pass then I'll be doing that, San Bernadino and Flüela before stopping for the night at Bolzano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom