Replaced front engine cover blistering again.

Bungy

Reaction score
In December 2015 I had the front engine cover replaced under an agreement where BMW supplied the part and I paid the labour. This eventually took 5 attempts with the wrong parts arriving and then the gasket failing. Eventually with it all rectified I was given the curtesy of no bill and some compensation. I cleaned my bike last weekend and sure enough around all the fixings the paint/covering is now blistering. Am I correct in thinking all BMW fitted parts have a 2 year warranty?
My bike isn't used much during the winter, cleaned regularly and kept in a dry garage. Pretty disappointing really.

Just ordered another after several attempts at recoating my '08 cover. Can someone please remind me of the best way to isolate the cover from the fasteners?

Do you still have the foam behind the cover? That gets piss wet through and can't help. Not much you can do I suspect but whip it off, clean it up, repaint and then don't worry about it.

In December 2015 I had the front engine cover replaced under an agreement where BMW supplied the part and I paid the labour. This eventually took 5 attempts with the wrong parts arriving and then the gasket failing. Eventually with it all rectified I was given the curtesy of no bill and some compensation. I cleaned my bike last weekend and sure enough around all the fixings the paint/covering is now blistering. Am I correct in thinking all BMW fitted parts have a 2 year warranty?
My bike isn't used much during the winter, cleaned regularly and kept in a dry garage. Pretty disappointing really.

Yes, a 2 year warranty on replacement parts fitted by BMW - I had a replacement front engine cover fitted in April 2016.....mine seems OK.

The front cover uses anaerobic gasket sealant no paper gasket.
The OEM paint is hard and brittle so cracks when the screws are tightened.
When mine was powder coated I used copper grease all the way up the screws to the head and copper washers. The coating has failed (cock up by the supplier) but corrosion around the screw heads has not resurfaced.

Sent using techie stuff

Am I just lucky, but the front cover on my 2012 Rallye with a black engine is just fine. Maybe the black finish is more durable than silver?

Yes the do however the warranty remains with the person or company who paid for the repair. In this case BMW

Maybe you could buy a new cover with your compensation?

Just ordered another after several attempts at recoating my '08 cover. Can someone please remind me of the best way to isolate the cover from the fasteners?

Thinking about it, what about nylon washers, these should prevent cracking fresh/new paint with a head of a fastener?

Regards

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's not just the LC that suffers from corrosion then.:augie:D

As an update to this thread I have had photographs taken and as a BMW fitted part it does have the 2 year warranty. The dealer has returned a call and it is going in for another replacement (must be getting on for a record now).

Corrosion starts around the mounting screws and especially the belt cover screws. The edge of the belt cover also frets away at the paint eventually causing it to fail. Mine was really bad under the belt cover bottom screw.
I used a high solids copper grease all the way up the screws right up to the heads with copper washers on the main cover screws.

They have now done two winters since being powder coated. The belt cover has also had about 1mm trimmed off the edge and its mounted on washers so can't rub the paint. You cant see the gap and so far all is well with the corrosion.

You can do them all one by one without risking an oil leak.

As an update to this thread I have had photographs taken and as a BMW fitted part it does have the 2 year warranty. The dealer has returned a call and it is going in for another replacement (must be getting on for a record now).

1150 ......:D

Has any one thought about using ceramic fasteners ?

Zinc plated steel should be ok as zinc and aluminium are close on the galvanic scale. However the paint is uber tough and cracks under pressure from screw heads. So you get paint failure and dissimilar metals all at the same point.

Back
Top Bottom