Blue skies, mountains & GS's - Vosges, Alps, Dolomites and Tyrol at their sunny best

cafemaestro

Reaction score
Blue skies, mountains & GS's - Vosges, Alps, Dolomites and Tyrol at their sunny best

A medley of memories from last summers run through Vosges, Swiss Alps, Dolomites, South Tyrol and then the Julian Alps.
Fantastic weather from start to finish, several bucket list roads/passess ticked or revisited and falling in love with Slovenia all over again.
Tunnel to France, rode through Switzerland to Italy, then on to Austria then across and down into Slovenia, finishing back in Vienna for the overnight train back to Dusseldorf and a final blast home.
Highlights: Timmelsjoch just before closing - we had the whole road to ourselves and a sunset in a million. Grossglockner for the sheer beauty and scale. Ljubljiana for cheap beer, beautiful architecture and the most friendly laid back locals.

Hope you enjoy:

Great stuff. I did a small section of the Alps Last May. I will return..........
Thanks for posting. gets the juices going for 2017 :thumb

Fantastic:clap
What was the duration of your trip I'm thinking of doing something similar this year?

Was that the Mangart right near the end?

It most certainly was and I must thank you for it - you recommended it to me back in 2013 the first time I was in that neck of the woods and for that I am eternally grateful :beerjug:

Fantastic:clap
What was the duration of your trip I'm thinking of doing something similar this year?

8 days - one day at the start to get to Nancy and one day at the end to blast back from Dusseldorf leaving 6 days to go through the Alps at around 200 mile per day with one day of 270 miles.

If the weather had been crap we would have cut that down but we couldn't waste such fabulous views

Brilliant and well put together.

Loved the sound track too.

It most certainly was and I must thank you for it - you recommended it to me back in 2013 the first time I was in that neck of the woods and for that I am eternally grateful :beerjug:

I really miss being near roads like that, I guess I rode the Mangart more than 20 times, each time was special.

John

Great video, what time of year did you go?

Can you share routes and the accommodation you used please?

Rob

Enjoyed that thanks. Where did you get the soundtrack from; is there a source for these to get round the youtube/copyright issues?

Enjoyed that thanks. Where did you get the soundtrack from; is there a source for these to get round the youtube/copyright issues?

Soundtrack was Strobe by John Murphy - came across it when using spotify and had it on my playlist when on tour so though it would work - I like using music I was listening to at the time - adds to the memories

Great video, what time of year did you go?

Can you share routes and the accommodation you used please?

Rob
Trip was last week in Sept returning 1st weekend in Oct. Have been twice at that time of year and been lucky with the weather both times

All accommodation was booked via Booking.com based on where we thought we'd be that night. When you can share a room it makes it around £20-£30 B&B per night and in Sept it's usually cheaper.

Day 1 - Route was Calais to Cambrai via motorway, then D roads through Picardy to Douamont to look at the WWI forts and Verdun battlefields. Down to Nancy for overnight in some Apart-Hotel place in the city
Day 2 - Nancy through the south Vosges all day (Grand Ballon, various Cols - you cannot really go wrong) ending up in Belfort for the night - stayed in the Best Western by the station
Day 3 - Belfort cross country to just the other side on Andermatt via Passwang, Glaubenbielenpass, Grimsel, Furka and Oberalp passes- stayed in Lodge Sax.
Day 4 - Andermatt to San Leonardo in Passeria - stayed at lodges in a campsite. Went down the minor roads via Fluelapass, Finstermunzpass and Timmelsjoch
Day 5 - Dolomite tour ending up in a hotel in Cortina D'Ampezzo via Penserjoch, Nigerpass, Karerpass, Passo di Fedaia, Passo Giau (not to be missed)
Day 6 - to Grossglockner ending up in a hotel in Gmund - via Passo tre Croce, Plocken pass
Day 7 - Gmund to Ljubljiana via Nockalmstrasse, Predil pass, Mangart (definitely not to be missed), Lake Bled - if you have time go via the back roads to Ljubljiana - really pretty
Day 8 - to Vienna to catch the train picking up back roads and passes on the way where possible - overnight train to Dusseldorf
Day 9 - Dusseldorf to home

GPX route file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26160674/Alps 2016/Alps Trip 2016.GPX
These were the plan - a bit ambitious in parts so we cut some bits out on the day but will help you see where we went and perhaps inspire you to have a go at a similar route - you will not be disappointed

Happy trails!

Back
Top Bottom