Bluetooth receiver

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Your advice for a suitable bluetooth receiver please.

About 2 years ago I bought a R1200gs lc with a free nav5 . Not having a suitable headset I installed some headphone speakers into my helmet and bought a Sony MW1 Smart Wireless Headset Pro Bluetooth. It worked fine apart from being a bit fiddly to set up. It had good battery life and was only used for navigation instructions.

I have now sold that bike and the bluetooth receiver. I now find myself needing a another receiver. The nav. unit is a old NAV 3.

I was just plugging into the 3.5mm audio socket but feel the need for a new bluetooth.

Recommendations requested please, or if you have something to get rid of ;)

Steve.

Thanks, it is just the spoken nav instructions I need. Will look into it.

Anymore recommendations welcomed.

Thought I would resurrect this thread. I now have a Tomtom 400. So its bluetooth only, I bought myself a bluetooth receiver of eBay "MPOW" £12.99. It connects fine with the Tomtom but I found the volume not to be sufficient for me.

One reason is probably that industrial deafness struck years ago and I am supposed to wear hearing aids. Another reason for the low output volume was probably the speaker drivers in the helmet. These came from a old pair of over the ear headphones. So the impedance was a bit much I guess. I stripped them down and the driver diameter was identical to the cut out in my Nolan helmet. It was a really neat job.

To improve the volume I bought a ebay special headphone amp. "XU09" £18. It arrived this morning and after a charge I tried it out. Success, even more volume than my deaf ears could handle. So for £31 I have a decent way to listen to my route instructions. Incidentally if only in ear speakers were used the volume was fine. Its just I don't like a long day in the saddle with them in.

Just shows you can achieve a result without having to spend a decent amount of cash. No doubt others may have done this, but for hearing impaired users it works a treat.

I'm using the Intaride Hawk wired system for intercom/radio coms, and have just done a similar thing to connect to my Nav V. Small bluetooth receiver and a Topping Nx1a Amplifier. Cable from the Bluetooth receiver to the amp, then cable to the Hawk.
With custom made filtered ear plugs, music and instructions clear at high speed.
Total cost about €35.
Both units are mounted on the L/H plastic fairing near the screen, so I can adjust volume easily while on the move. (2016 1200GS)

hatzyian That is probably more in keeping with the average bike riders requirements. My needs are pretty simple, route instructions only. I don't like music on the move and phone calls on a bike, noway. When my wife does accompany me its for sort local trips so person to person is not a requirement.
When I used my set up on a nav5 I didn't have a inline amp. Perhaps the bluetooth receiver I used (sold it) had a higher output. Or the nav5 bluetooth signal was better.
At least we have booth tailored a solution for our personal use. If you can put up with the custom in ear plugs that alone will give an improved sound quality. I just end up sweating and the inner ear canal gets real itchy. That a bugger when you have your helmet on.

Back
Top Bottom