Fitting DIN plug.

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have bought a DIN plug, got it screwed into the bracket perfectly, with the live wire going to the centre and earth to the side terminal, AND checked they were correctly wired before putting it in place, then I fed the wires through and crimped the rings on the ends before attaching to the battery terminals. Do I desperately need a fuse in the system, if so what sort of size - and as an aside if so, WHY? It is only to run my sat nav, or feed to charge the battery.

Mucky buckets.

I have bought a DIN plug, got it screwed into the bracket perfectly, with the live wire going to the centre and earth to the side terminal, AND checked they were correctly wired before putting it in place, then I fed the wires through and crimped the rings on the ends before attaching to the battery terminals. Do I desperately need a fuse in the system, if so what sort of size - and as an aside if so, WHY? It is only to run my sat nav, or feed to charge the battery.

Mucky buckets.
You would be safer with a fuse, if only running the sat nav a 1 amp would do. You can get 1 amp blade fuses but may have to search around.

Cheers Harry - I still don't understand why a fuse is needed though. What is likely to overlaod the system from a sat nav?

The fuse as near the battery+ as possible is in case the wires socket or accessory thats plugged in short out , possibly in an accident, also to avoid exceeding the cables rated capacity,
It is good practice,
Roamer

Is the G650 Can-bus? If so it may have a spare plug somewhere you could use. I think it would be safe to skip the fuse, if Can-bus.

No, the 650 isn't CanBus.

You need a fuse Simon not just because of any overload from whatever you're going to run off the plug, so it would blow the fuse rather than set fire to the bike. If you don't have a fuse and anything shorts the wire out, direct to earth, you'll probably set fire to the 'bike :eek:

The fuse needs to be as near to the battery as possible.

:beerjug:

IIRC there is a BMW part number for this socket (doesn't cost much), which plugs directly into a spare socket in the loom, or it certainly did on my XChallenge. Much easier than trying to get additional wires on the battery (space is tight).

IIRC there is a BMW part number for this socket (doesn't cost much), which plugs directly into a spare socket in the loom, or it certainly did on my XChallenge. Much easier than trying to get additional wires on the battery (space is tight).

Went on very easily. I just ran the new wires (diesel plant strength cable, about twice as thick as the loom wiring and armoured! Came from next door, who has a plant repair truck) Spade ends on the back of the socket, rings to attach to the terminals with the normal battery wires. I just pulled the battery out and made sure there was enough length to reach.

I have enough space to put a fuse in the +ve within an inch or so of the terminal, as it happens. Is that close enough? Is it worth wrapping the +ve terminal connectors with insulation then? There wasn't any when I opened the bodywork up.

I didn't put a fuse on a 12v socket once

Worked fine for about a year or so, then one day I pulled in and it shorted, the wire started to over heat and started melting fast! Smoke everywhere! I quickly moved away from the bike fully expecting it to catch fire!

It was a lucky escape as the wire ran right over a fuel line

Moral of the story - I always use a fuse now!

I just used the BMW socket , no fuses required and as Losttheplot states it just plugs into the OEM harness (the connection is tie wrapped near the BMS-C Control Unit)

Cost just over £20 , see link below :

http://www.rainbowbmw.com/BMWETK/Products/0165_77010972.php

31987383360_ac1f346480_b.jpg

A couple of good catches on your next fishing trip will see you alright ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom