Porsche - 15 passes in four days

Excellent work Richard (and thanks for the plug for our routes). I'll get a copy of that, as it looks interesting.

It does highlight the difference between supercar and superbike manufactuerers, though: Porsche do 15 passes in four days; Ducati used to be involved with Centopassi - 100 passes in four days!

100 passes.....some on the back of a flat bed truck.

All joking apart, it would be good to have a crack at riding the route Ducati and Centopassi put together. I've ridden John Hermann's 18 passes in the Dolomites in a day, or however many it was. Great fun.

Happy to promote your efforts in RiDE and give the original source of the routes its due acknowledgment. What I really hope is that sources such as yours can be picked up on by riders, who'll then not necessarily use them exactly as published but instead adapt them for their own purposes.

PS I found this article from 2005:

http://ridermagazine.com/2005/05/17...the-french-maritime-and-western-italian-alps/

100 passes.....some on the back of a flat bed truck.

All joking apart, it would be good to have a crack at riding the route Ducati put together. I've ridden John Hermann's 18 passes in the Dolomites in a day, or however many it was. Great fun.

15, I believe!

I was on the 2005 Centopassi and I don't remember the American. Though perhaps that's because the rest of the journalists stayed in Nice on the first night, not in Limone, after which the event moved to Bardonecchia, not Sestriere. This piece also suggests that the journalists were on Multistradas (which back then were 1000cc) when in fact we were all on the new-for-05 Multistrada 620s. It also states that nobody "hit the ditch", which I assume means crashed, even though there were several people had to be rescued by the support truck (including one disaster where the Dutch journalist crashed into one of the "Iron Bike" touring riders, putting both their bikes out of action; while the Swiss journalist swerved to miss a marmot and did literally end up crashing in a ditch at the top of Col Agnel - right in front of me). It's uncannily like reading something put together from a press release without actually bothering to attend the event. I still have the roadblocks for the event, so if you're interested in it, I'll make GPX files of the routes.

The Herman Dolomites route is 17 in a day, a guy I was with in 2013 managed 21 and came back early as the Thunderstorms rolled in, I think he was after something like 24.

I think the Dolomites is probably the only place where passes are so densely packed, however there are so many minor passes it might be possible to do many more, this site is very handy:

https://www.cyclingcols.com/

The Map is particularly useful for checking what passes you are going to be, err, passing on your travels:

https://www.cyclingcols.com/map

I have the Garmin file with 320 or so passes in it, but this site has literally hundreds more (938 just for France!) although many are likely to be pretty naff.

The stats page is also quite neat:

https://www.cyclingcols.com/stats/0/0

Simon W, said:

I still have the roadblocks for the event, so if you're interested in it, I'll make GPX files of the routes.

Simon has kindly passed me a copy.

I'll host it on Dropbox, creating a fresh thread in the Alps section (now done).

Simon confesses that he hasn't counted the passes, so whether it's 99 or even 101, bods will have to discover for themselves. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can join the '100 Passes' route to routes from say, RiDE magazine to make a complete holiday tour (now done, too).

Richard

JOB DONE:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...tesy-of-Simon-W-at-RiDE?p=4604056#post4604056

Last edited:
Richard, dying to try some of the routes, will be heading that way en-route to Monaco for the F1.

My problem is, I can't seem to download from dropbox. Managed to copy to my dropbox but from there I am lost, hit the download and nothing happens, my fault I know but if you have any tips, I would be most grateful

You should be able to download the file from my Dropbox straight to your computer. From there, you should be able to open it, give it a new name and save it to wherever you like.

If you are using a Mac, there is a chance that the file will have gained a .txt extension, turning it into a text file. Rename the file dropping .txt off the end, leaving it as .gpx

Everything should then be OK.

Richard

Thanks Richard, worked a treat that time, not sure what I did wrong previously!

The planning starts....

Anyone know if the Grossglockner is likely to be open(web says opens beginning may) and passable May 19th ish

The planning starts....

Anyone know if the Grossglockner is likely to be open(web says opens beginning may) and passable May 19th ish

Well I would say they probably know better than anyone, I think it is always from the start of May, but it can be closed due to snow at any time of the year, but May is probably one of the more risky months, by mid June the chances of it being closed are much slimmer, and if it is closed during the summer it is likely to be for a shorter length of time.

Early June - Late August I would guess is when it is likely to be open the vast majority of the time.

To me it is one of those tick-off-a-list roads that does not quite live up to the Hype, too much of a tourist trap for my liking, but still well worth riding if your anywhere near it, and a lot better than the Stelvio.

The planning starts....

Last year mid June the road was open but the weather forecast was -1 degrees thunderstorms, needless to say we had a back up route planned.

Getting the impression that it may not be worth going that Far East off route, I'll check out some of the ride reports for alternatives, already planning some of the initial miles with the help of Ebbo's gpx files.
Thanks for your help

Richard, dying to try some of the routes, will be heading that way en-route to Monaco for the F1........

Getting the impression that it may not be worth going that Far East off route....

I was wondering how you were going to use Porsche routes to get to Monaco. Great that the file has opened, enjoy your holiday.

The routes were useful to choose some of the route south, instead of looping back, initial thoughts are hit the Grossglokner or Timmelsjoch then carry on south taking in the Stelvio (I heard its not all that but daft not to as we will be passing pretty close) border a few of the italian lakes then down to Monaco from the east-north-east.

Wife went on a German river cruise with her elderly father and visited the Aviation/Automotive Museum in Speyer - anyone heard of it or been there?
That seems to be on the way as is Garmisch - never been to the p[lace but understand there is a big meet there annually, I guess there must be some decent roads/attractions around there??

I can thoroughly recommend the Technical Museum in Speyer. An excellent selection of vehicles and planes, and a very large spaceflight exhibit.

And Speyer is a lovely old town on the Rhine River

Back
Top Bottom