Black Forest

If you have a garmin I can send you some circular routes around the Black Forrest that I did for someone else, just pm me your email and I can pass the file over.

I am going in May this year and have the Nav 5... would appreciate the file to have a look at. PM on its way. :beerjug:

B500

Well just did the B500 up and down
What is all the hip about 50kmph everywhere then goes up to 100kmph on the straight bits
U can't enjoy it at all
IMO there are nicer roads in the west of Ireland called
The wild Atlantic way

It has all of the speed limits because so many daft f*ckers were treating it like a racetrack and killing themselves and other innocent motorists/ motorcyclists

It has all of the speed limits because so many daft f*ckers were treating it like a racetrack and killing themselves and other innocent motorists/ motorcyclists

Indeed, just like in the UK, when some Wanker crashes at 130mph in a 60mph zone the powers that be decide that lowering the speed limit to 50mph will cause these Wankers to obey the speed limit, why they think people happy to double the 60mph limit will suddenly obey a 50mph one is beyond anyone who does not work for public sector bodies.

The top end near Baden is still quite enjoyable without speeding by a vast margin, but as you get further south and the road opens out in to wonderful 100+mph sweepers it will feel pretty dull at 50mph.

I have an image that shows the itinerary of the SPA Route which was sent to me by the Black Forest Tourism Office. Although I don't know how to share the image via URL... :blast

My view on the B500 (which I first rode in the 80's) are yes do it to tick it off a list but there are much better roads in the area

Well just did the B500 up and down
What is all the hip about 50kmph everywhere then goes up to 100kmph on the straight bits
U can't enjoy it at all
IMO there are nicer roads in the west of Ireland called
The wild Atlantic way

Mad as you say it is your opinion but the B500 and the Wild Atlantic Way is comparing apples with oranges. yeah they are both fruits but different IMO.:p

I have an image that shows the itinerary of the SPA Route which was sent to me by the Black Forest Tourism Office. Although I don't know how to share the image via URL... :blast

Here you go! That's the itinerary advised by the Tourism Office and it is what I'll do when I go there at the beginning of September. Enjoy!

Black Forest - SPA Route

It appears to not include the B500 which is on many bikers "Places to ride" list.

There is a good chance nobody in the Tourist office rides a bike, or those who put the routes together are focussing on where people in their tin boxes might want to go, also starneg it does not go through Triberg where they have the "Famous Falls" (That most people have never heard of) and hundreds of shops selling Cuckoo Clocks.

The 'Spa map' is just that. It's a map of roads that's been created to join the so called 'Spa towns' of the Black Forest together. If someone wants to visit them all and doesn't want to work out how to join them together for themselves, it's great.

There are hundreds of 'bikers' maps' of the Black Forest. Start with ADAC's free downloads, which are very good.

The B500 is rather overrated, there are many more curvy roads hidden in the Black Forst, most people never really hit... best place to stay is Freiburg rather then geriatric places like Baden Baden! Freiburg is lively Univeristy town at the entrance to the Black Forest,great places to stay, a campsite in town and few further afield, superb food , almost always warm if not hot. Great shopping, trams that get you everywhere,a market, lots of history...great roads:thumb2:thumb2

The B500 is rather overrated,

Indeed, as is the Stelvio Pass, but it is still an iconic road on most peoples "to ride" list, the "famous stretch" is the 25 miles or so running south from Baden Baden and is a great road, but has been spoilt over the years by idiots putting up You Tube video's of themselves doing 130+ mph on it and launching their bikes / cars into the scenery which has led to lots of lowered speed limits and a higher Police presence (especially at weekends) but I would still recommend people giving it a go and making up their own mind.

I would say go 1st thing in the morning on a week day if you can for the least traffic and plod interference - and resist the temptation to crash or post you epic ride on You tube (unless you stick to the posted limits and ride in an extremely courteous manner.

The B500 is rather overrated, there are many more curvy roads hidden in the Black Forst, most people never really hit... best place to stay is Freiburg rather then geriatric places like Baden Baden! Freiburg is lively Univeristy town at the entrance to the Black Forest,great places to stay, a campsite in town and few further afield, superb food , almost always warm if not hot. Great shopping, trams that get you everywhere,a market, lots of history...great roads:thumb2:thumb2

+1 Freilburg is great or any of the small villages round it that has a train station or is on s bus route into Freilburg ��

The B500 is a very nice riding road.

I am very often in germany to visit my parents do i know that xD.

Back
Top Bottom