Black Forest

Mingmingmo

Reaction score
Me and Pal have decided Yesterday that we are going to hit up the Black Forest this year, about June/July time as it is still a place we both need to see.

As I'm aware a lot of people have been here so just wondered if there is a 'must see/ride' we must go to and of any accommodation that is recommended. I know there is a ton of places out there so will help narrow my ever increasing route !

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The B500 is the iconic biking road! It runs from Baden-Baden south. Stop in Triberg for lunch and if you have some time you can take a walk up to the top of the water fall. Very scenic.

+1 for the B500, did I read somewhere that bikes are banned at the weekends or Sundays or did I imagine that?

I have stopped there most years since 2009 and not heard of any bans on bikes.

Many topics on B500 and Black Forest so check them out as I am tired of typing same advice every few days.

If you have a garmin I can send you some circular routes around the Black Forrest that I did for someone else, just pm me your email and I can pass the file over.

OK, Mingmingmo and pal, to save you both some time and effort, got to:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ack-Forest-Alsace-and-Vosges-and-some-extra-s

Then go to this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-touring-maps-Free-download-PDF-s-into-iBook

Then have a wander about in:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/416452-Germany-calling

As bit of a tasty tease, here's an example of what can be found. Dedicated to the Black Forest, with routes and hotels:

http://wp.bikerbetten.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Karte-Schwarzwald.pdf

It must be easy as I have just done that on an iPhone.

And if that all fails, go to the RiDE magazine site (by bikers for bikers) to see if any of the tasty morsels Simon W has dangled under bods' noses suit your proposes.

When and if you finish that lot, have a look at all the other threads in this section - and on the worldwide web - to see if anything sets the pulse racing; you'll not be the first bod to go there (alone or with a pal or more) and you won't be the last, I hope. The great thing is that you really cannot break anything. You and your pal have five to six months to get ready, it's free and they can't touch you for it.

Job done.

Have fun.

Richard

There are a few BF routes on here

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/

I currently live in the southern Schwarzwald (Lorrach) and spend most weekends hooning round the back roads.

I'll try and download a few of the saved routes from my Garmin and post them here.

Triberg over to Titisee is great.
Always worth a trip to Donaueschingen (the source of the Danube). Or to Niedereschach it's a bit further out (Home of Touratech)

In my opinion, the B500 9or at least the section running south from Baden Baden) is a bit overrated. Nice road, and some nice views, but it can be as busy as hell and, at weekends, it is a police favourite to catch the sportsbike boys thrashing their bikes around. There are some mighty fine roads to be found that steer clear of the B500

Stayed at Biker Hotel Harmonie in may 2016, good location and Peter and Corinna were very friendly and helpful hosts.

Guys you are outstanding !

I think the B500 will be a must by the sounds of things.

Wrapping, input is really appreciated. It is a good place to start from if any. Once I have full use of internet power not just on my phone I shall have to download some of these and just get some roads down.

See you there !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrapping, input is really appreciated. It is a good place to start from if any. Once I have full use of internet power not just on my phone I shall have to download some of these and just get some roads down.

Excellent.

Let us know what you decide on and how you get on, please.

Richard

Excellent.
Let us know what you decide on and how you get on, please.

One last idea for you.

When you have access to the full internet and hopefully BaseCamp or Mapsource, have a look at this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/443849-Porsche-15-passes-in-four-days

As you'll see, it's all about a suggestion to ride a possible route along 15 mountain passes in four days. The passes are a long way from where you intend to go, which is the Black Forest but stay with it. The purpose of the thread is twofold:

(1) That it's possible to take ideas on roads to ride, things to see and places to stay from a variety of sources, so don't just limit yourself to motorbike orientated ideas. Lots of people - far more than the really very few who ride a motorcycle - like touring. They too like good views, nice roads to ride and decent hoteliers. It's easy to guess that most people in a sports car will avoid goat tracks but will like 'twisties', so they are not so very different to blokes on motorcycles. Use their ideas, too.

(2) Further down the thread, starting at post #7 and continuing at post #13 through to post #20 I tried to show how it's possible to take a route from another source (in this case RiDE magazine) joining it to the very specific Porsche route to create one complete tour: Calais > 15 Alpine passes > Calais.

Hopefully you (or indeed anyone) should be able to do the same thing for your Black Forest holiday, drawing on the sources in post #6 of this thread, to create your own holiday. The same could apply if you wanted to go to Scotland or Croatia or Spain; there is lots of stuff out there, use it as it's all free, you can't break it and it's ultimately so much better than someone doing it all for you.

Richard

I have ridden the B500 a few times and must say that it is excellent. Good road surface and great flashes (between the trees!) of scenery.

I would recommend that you don't ride it on a Saturday and definitely not a Sunday as the locals are out in force and they are intent on "making progress" :tarka

The Police I came across waved as we went passed. Plenty of signs up advising Motorcyclists to keep to the speed limit and for other users to be aware of bikes.

Oh and make sure you leave enough time to stop and have a slice of Black Forest Gateaux. The slice was that big I didn't know whether to eat it or climb it.....delicious.

Back
Top Bottom