recommend me a top box

Go BIG or go home.:D
Either way you're not married to it, there when you need it, gone when you don't.

Do you not bother with panniers then either Nutty ?

Not when I've ridden with him

He's the king of minimalism and his bikes always look cool

I fucking hate top boxes on bikes - but they do have their uses

However they are heavy in their own right (without filling & people always over fill, don't they) & can cause rear rack and subframe stresses

However they are heavy in their own right (without filling & people always over fill, don't they) & can cause rear rack and subframe stresses

They also move the centre of gravity backwards and upwards, so don't do a lot for the handling either. I only use mine loaded as a last resort when touring, although it's useful for helmet storage when daytripping.

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 277
Do you not bother with panniers then either Nutty ?

Nope, I normally just use Kreiga kit. If I'm away on the GSA, I use the BMW alloy top box for up to 4/5 nights away; anything longer and I'll strap my Kreiga bag to it. How much stuff do you need?

:thumb

For a week away, as long as I've got clean undercrackers for the week, I'm happy! I'll take 3 or 4 Tshirts for the days, a couple of shirts, fleece or jumper, pair of jeans and some shoes for the evening. Plus toiletries. All of that will roll up nice and tight.:thumb

I don't understand why people take so much stuff on a bike trip, unless they're either camping, or they've had to take the mrs with them.:eek::D

They also move the centre of gravity backwards and upwards, so don't do a lot for the handling either. I only use mine loaded as a last resort when touring, although it's useful for helmet storage when daytripping.

I always leave mine empty to put the lids in when we stop

All clothes etc go in the panniers in inner bags, then leave the bags at hotel / BnB and we can store jackets lids etc on the bike when visiting places :)

:thumb

For a week away, as long as I've got clean undercrackers for the week, I'm happy! I'll take 3 or 4 Tshirts for the days, a couple of shirts, fleece or jumper, pair of jeans and some shoes for the evening. Plus toiletries. All of that will roll up nice and tight.:thumb

I don't understand why people take so much stuff on a bike trip, unless they're either camping, or they've had to take the mrs with them.:eek::D

Agreed , my Crosstourer panniers are still in the bubble wrap. On bike trips I have a tank bag for valuables / camera and a waterproof messenger on the back seat with all my clothes in. I just unclip it and walk into the hotel . However, I always have the top box on for spare biking kit and to put helmet in when away from the bike as others above have.

On camping trips I still don't use the panniers as all my camping stuff can go in one big dry bag on the pillion seat :thumb

I've seen some on here turn up at events on bikes with top box, panniers, a couple of dry bags on the pillion street, stuff strapped on top of the panniers and anothe dry bag perched on top of the top box. Then a large tank bag along with some small bags strapped onto the engine bars, one on each side. And they are riding solo on a 2 night trip !? :D

I've seen some on here turn up at events on bikes with top box, panniers, a couple of dry bags on the pillion street, stuff strapped on top of the panniers and anothe dry bag perched on top of the top box. Then a large tank bag along with some small bags strapped onto the engine bars, one on each side. And they are riding solo on a 2 night trip !? :D

They want "the look". Can't see the point, myself.:nenau

They want "the look". Can't see the point, myself.:nenau

And you want the minimalist look. Which is what you got. No one slates you for it.

Don't understand the 'You got to be like me' or you're doing it wrong mentality of some on here.....(This isn't a direct poke at you Nutty) My boxes are on all the time, as I can't be bothered to take them off, it's that simple really.

And you want the minimalist look. Which is what you got. No one slates you for it.

Don't understand the 'You got to be like me' or you're doing it wrong mentality of some on here.....(This isn't a direct poke at you Nutty) My boxes are on all the time, as I can't be bothered to take them off, it's that simple really.

Yep, we all want different things.:thumb

I had this set up on my Oil Cooled. 41ltr Bumot top box and in front of that a Ventura system. No panniers.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 327
Panniers would have brought the weight lower down and slightly further forward.

I'd have panniers before that.

Al

I loaded my bike up similar to this for a 2 week trip to the alps. Givi 46ltr box with the 50ltr BMW Large softbag in front of it, across the pillion seat. I had the camping gear (tent etc) in the box and clothes and supplies in the bag..............never again, too much weight up high, it made the bike less than fun in the switchbacks. In future I will put as much of the weight as I can in the side boxes, down low and try to do without a top box.

Obviously a top box is used for day to day stuff.

I'm waiting on delivery of a black Givi Trekker Outback 42ltr.

A friend put a SW Motech Trax 38ltr on the back of his XR yesterday (black one).......it looks fantastic.

Each to their own, it worked well for me, weight was far less than a pillion and I didn't really have a problem with weight up high. Was better for me not having panniers sticking out the sides. Done a fair few trails and off road with this setup as well.

younger06;4601188 I'm waiting on delivery of a black Givi Trekker Outback 42ltr. A friend put a SW Motech Trax 38ltr on the back of his XR yesterday (black one).......it looks fantastic.[/QUOTE said:
Any pics? I've gone for the Givi 47ltr box with Neon trim. Always wanted a top box that would take my helmet.

Al:thumb2

Attachments

• 25092.jpg
    25092.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 252

Back
Top Bottom