HELP....BIKE WON'T START

Watty100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2007 R1200GS, 67k miles.....
Wouldn't start this morning, was fine when last used 5 days ago, ignition comes on, fuel pump hums, starter relay clicks, but nothing more.
Battery is OK and I've hooked it up to another running bike to be certain theres enough electrons to make things happen.
I've had the starter motor off and cleaned up the terminals, and made sure I can turn it by hand. The gear flicks forward as it should.
I've shorted out the solenoid terminals with a pair of pliers, got plenty of sparks but still no spinning starter.
The thin black wire to the solenoid shows 5 volts when the starter button is pushed.
Relay is OK, done the continuity tests according to the Haynes manual and all is well. As stated, it does click when the button is pushed.
I get the fault code "DWALO" on the dash, which is low battery in the alarm, this last happened about 6 months ago but the bike started/ran fine, so I think I can ignore this.
SO......what I'm asking is there anything I've missed in the above checks, or anything else I should check before I bite the bullet and buy a new starter?
:(:confused::nenau

Seized alternator ?

Check the engine turns over .... Remove plugs, stick the bike in gear and see if the back wheel will turn the motor over

You could just take the starter appart and check inside (clean and relube while you are there).

Is 5 volts to the starter solenoid sufficient to fully energise it rather than just a click, surely it's a 12 volt system ?

What about the kill switch or side stand switch ? I'll get my coat now, before someone else tells me to.:hide

5V sounds like a knackered battery. Jump leads off the car battery - don't run car engine. If it starts you have a flat bike battery

If you have power to the garage get a Motobatt and Optimate. If you don't have power get a LiFePo such as Shorai or Ballistic if you really want posh.
These lithiums are not damaged by lack of use and lose only 10% a year in self discharge. They cost more but Optimate chargers are not cheap and can be a hassle.

Never use a normal battery optimate on a LiFePo.

Had a very similar thing on my 08 GSA.

In my case I also had about 5v at the 'thin wire'.

Turned out the relay had a bit of a green wire. All corroded and not giving enough to get it turning over / tripping the starter relay.

I agree with the remove plugs and turn it over by hand suggestion as the alternators can seize. Been there, done it, very expensive as well.

The relay I mentioned is buried under the ECU way deep under the tank. I replaced my one with a normal spotlight one that I had in the bits n pieces drawer, it's been fine for a couple of years.

May I also suggest that you check for a good solid power supply and earth at the starter.

I'm only down the road if you need a chuck or a GS911 check

Roger.

Thanks for the tips, those suggesting the battery might be at fault, keep in mind I hooked it up to another bike with its engine running to ensure there was enough power to turn the motor over.
I've done as suggested and turned the engine over by hand, all seems OK there.

Roger, you've got me thinking, as I had an identical problem with my sons Yamaha last year which turned out to be a corroded wire on a "black box" under the side panel. Can I just confirm you're talking about a different relay to the green one under the tool tray under the riders seat? And thanks for the offer of help, I may just need it!!!!!!

Do what Clarkson does, use a very large hammer works every time apparently :nenau

2007 R1200GS, 67k miles.....
Wouldn't start this morning, was fine when last used 5 days ago, ignition comes on, fuel pump hums, starter relay clicks, but nothing more.
Battery is OK and I've hooked it up to another running bike to be certain theres enough electrons to make things happen.
I've had the starter motor off and cleaned up the terminals, and made sure I can turn it by hand. The gear flicks forward as it should.
I've shorted out the solenoid terminals with a pair of pliers, got plenty of sparks but still no spinning starter.
The thin black wire to the solenoid shows 5 volts when the starter button is pushed.
Relay is OK, done the continuity tests according to the Haynes manual and all is well. As stated, it does click when the button is pushed.
I get the fault code "DWALO" on the dash, which is low battery in the alarm, this last happened about 6 months ago but the bike started/ran fine, so I think I can ignore this.
SO......what I'm asking is there anything I've missed in the above checks, or anything else I should check before I bite the bullet and buy a new starter?
:(:confused::nenau

The starter relay in question is, from memory, a small 1.5 cm x 1,5 cm x 4 cm long one, pale green in colour... or was it pale grey? buried under the ecu's under the tank...

Roger..

Thanks for the tips, those suggesting the battery might be at fault, keep in mind I hooked it up to another bike with its engine running to ensure there was enough power to turn the motor over.
I've done as suggested and turned the engine over by hand, all seems OK there.

Roger, you've got me thinking, as I had an identical problem with my sons Yamaha last year which turned out to be a corroded wire on a "black box" under the side panel. Can I just confirm you're talking about a different relay to the green one under the tool tray under the riders seat? And thanks for the offer of help, I may just need it!!!!!!

What is the green relay under the toolkit?

It was clicking a good un when trying to start my MY06.

Is this part of the starter circuit?

Mart

On early bikes it was under the seat on later bikes it was under the ECU`s next to the spot light relay.
The spot light relay and starter relay are interchangeable if you need to prove a relay.

Do what Clarkson does, use a very large hammer works every time apparently :nenau

I am a true son of the Black Country. Whatever doesn't work gets hit with the biggest 'ommer available. Only then do we look for other solutions.

On early bikes it was under the seat on later bikes it was under the ECU`s next to the spot light relay.
The spot light relay and starter relay are interchangeable if you need to prove a relay.

Thanks Mistacat, you've saved me from unnecessarily removing the fuel tank, mine is the older one with the relay under the seat which seems to be working OK.

One last question before I order a new starter, if the ring aerial (for the ignition key transponder) is knackered, will that stop the starter from turning? Or are there other symptoms for this? Is there any way of checking the ring aerial without use of a BMW computer or GS911?
(and yes I know thats 3 last questions......)

If you have the starter off, what happens if you put power straight to it?

I've connected power to it directly whilst on the bike, the starter spins but doesn't engage with the ring gear to spin the engine. And I connected a second battery via jump-leads to be certain there was enough electricity to make it work.

That sounds like a starter gearbox issue.

It has an epicyclic on the motor end that finally drives the starter pinion. The motor is easy to remove and strip. On mine the gearbox was bone dry so I packed it with grease. At the same time you can check the brushes and clean out the carbon dust.

Have you tried putting a 1/4 inch spade female on a 1.5m length of 2mm wire and connecting it to the spade terminal on the starter and holding the other end on the +ve battery terminal.
Does the solenoid engage? ( loud click)
Does the starter spin without engaging the solenoid ?
what is the voltage at the solenoid end of the wire now ? ( was stated at 5v in first post)

Its the solenoid thats knackered

It doesn't "click" when power is supplied to it, or transfer power from the inlet to outlet.
It doesn't kick out the gear to engage the ring gear when its powered up, even though the starter motor itself spins freely.

I've spent an hour searching for just the solenoid, to no avail. It seems that you can get one for just about every starter made by Valeo except the ones on the hexheads :blast Bloody typical.

So new starter motor ordered from Wemoto for £125 inc delivery.

Back
Top Bottom