Thinking about a R9T but which one?

leasky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
N.E Scotland / Middle of the sand pit....
Hello guys.

I am looking to get an R9T to use as a second bike to my GSA.

I had a go on 9T Sport when I was home last month but felt the bike small - I suppose that was bound to be the case after a decade on various GSA's.

Is the Scrambler version much different: is it much higher?

I would be very grateful for any thoughts, views or pointers regarding model, spec etc.

Thanks,

Colin.

Hi
Like you I always fancied an R9T but found it a bit cramped
Truth is after a agas or GSA any bike seems small
I went for the scrambler as it is roomier , higher seat bigger front wheel and chassis changes to foot rests that make it better for me T 6 foot 4 than the sport
I love mine, it's no replacement for the GSA but a perfect fun bike, a bit like the bikes I grew up on
Have a test ride. There are deals to be done with some demos for £9500 out there with small miles.
The Urban that is due out is basically a scrambler with a paint job exhaust change and the high seat of the scrambler
I think you'll love the scrambler :thumby:

Thanks for that Robbo.

I am 6ft, 18 stone and build like a rugby Prop and the size of the 9T Sport was certainly in issue.

Can I please ask where you had seen the bikes for sub £10k?

Colin.

On e-bay there's currently a base spec bike (alloy wheels etc) for £9500 and two X's for just under £10000

I could have bought an ex demo but just didn't fancy owning something that every Tom, Dick & Lionel had thrashed to within an inch of its life in all the salt and shite when a new one can be had for not a lot more :augie

i have the original R nine T....these are now faded out....personally i think this is the best model. They are all more or less the same size, I think the scrambler seat height is 10mm lower than the roadster versions. Great bikes for odd sunday blast ,and as they are completely different to your GSA, they work . test ride a few and enjoy

I'm about the same size as you Colin and have a black "original" 9T, it feels tiny when I hop off my K16, but it's a whole lot of fun. The riding position is ok, but I had to switch the bars out to make it perfect for me.

I think the original 9T has the potential to become a classic, makes me smile every time I ride it. The Original has USD forks, adjustable on this years model, Rev counter and other nk naks that you may well miss if they are not there.

The only criticism I have of mine is the damn spoked wheels, they went tubed, and not tubeless, a mistake IMHO, so my next purchase is a set of Alpina Tubeless wheels.

I'm lucky enough to own one of the original R9Ts and a 2013 GS TE - but in build I'm 5' 11' and 11 stone - so the R9T is certainly more suited to my weight but I'll admit it seems tiny after riding the GS (which I still hate manoeuvering on gravel). The R9T has the high level Akro exhaust and the seat hump and with a Bagster cover and tank bag you can avoid the inevitable pawing everywhere you stop if you leave that magnificent tank on display. People can't resist wanting to look and touch - or so it seems. The R9T is possibly the only bike where I've been waved to the front of a queue at road works because the guy controlling the lights wanted a look. :)

They are great fun to ride and if you can make it fit you the burble and handling and sheer joy of it will not disappoint.

Cheers,
SilverSurferToo
(Lurker and previously known as Spud or SpudToo many, many, many years ago)

Some custom ideas.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/1...bmw-r-ninet-custom-motorcycles?src=SOC&dom=tw

CycloneP90161322-590x393.jpg

HighwayP90161339-590x393.jpg

ClubmanNakajimaP90161282-590x393.jpg

BoxerP90161372-590x393.jpg

This little cracker got dropped off this morning.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers over the past few weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 779
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 760

Back
Top Bottom