Mudsling/Puig Hugger

younger06

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know........I have searched, I spent hours last night looking at all the old threads but couldn't find the answer.

Can a Mudsling be fitted WITH a Puig Hugger already in place??

Answers on a postcard to...........

I had a Mudsling with Ilmberger carbon hugger.
However TUV shovel throws dirt and water forwards into the low pressure area around the rear shock. The hugger made no difference to the state of the bike or my boots and legs.
The Mudsling stopped a lot of the dirt proving the hugger simply looked pretty. Removing the TUV shovel and fitting a extended crud catcher under the number plate was the most effective.
Without that the wheel plastered dirt all over top box.

In short - Mudsling and extended crud catcher under number plate was the most effective.
The only thing better (for keeping bike clean) would be a long deep hugger that covers the whole wheel from swing arm to where the TUV guard sits.

Sent using techie stuff

That seems to be the general consensus. Thanks Nutty.

Sent from a OnePlusX

I have the same setup as bendy and would agree with his comments.
Only other thing to remember is that if you're still using the shovel, remove it now and again and give that area underneath the mounting a good clean. My original FD had a lot of corrosion there from road salt that had collected.
No noticeable difference in doing without it as long as you have the extender under the number plate. Looks better, too, in my opinion.

I have the same setup as bendy and would agree with his comments.
Only other thing to remember is that if you're still using the shovel, remove it now and again and give that area underneath the mounting a good clean. My original FD had a lot of corrosion there from road salt that had collected.
No noticeable difference in doing without it as long as you have the extender under the number plate. Looks better, too, in my opinion.

Cheers John, yeah I've been running without the spade for quite some time now but I'm at a loss to explain how every thing gets so mucky with the hugger on.......I can only assume that it's coming up over the hugger and back down onto the shock and swinger. I'm definitely gonna try a Mudsling.

Since I fitted an aftermarket shock , it doesn't have the OEM shock cover.

WmpPeNP.jpg

I have the Puig and the mudsling fitted. I have a cymarc plate entender too.
I've tried with and without the TUV shovel and it makes no difference to my legs at all but I do find my top box fares better with the TUV shovel fitted

W as looking at puig hugger and mudsling. Might just get mudsling and licence plate catcher. You can get after market mudslings and puig huggers on ali express for about 40 and 100 euro

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just ordered a licence plate catcher from Cymarc - in black of course!

A word of warning when buying a hugger.
There's a difference between those with electronic suspension and those without.
There has to be a dent in the hugger to allow clearance for the black box on the suspension unit.
Without it, it'll drive you mad every time you go over a bump.

I've tried with and without the TUV shovel and it makes no difference to my legs at all but I do find my top box fares better with the TUV shovel fitted
What bike have you got and do they foul each other when the suspension compresses??

Sent from a OnePlusX

It's a 2016 GS LC. The clearance is minimal so I put some helicopter tape on the front bottom edge of the hugger to minimise any scratching.
Ah, ok..... thanks for getting back to me but mines a Hexhead.

Sent from a OnePlusX

Agreed, the TUV shovel stops crap going over the top box but a lot gets thrown forwards as well. The number plate extender keeps the box clean with less muck being deflected forwards.

Sent using techie stuff

Almost a year down the road and my puig hugger / mudsling combo (on my LC) has failed.

The leading edge of the hugger lost the helicopter tape I put on it and has rubbed a hole in my mudsling.
Meanwhile the rattle I thought was coming from my toolbox was actually failure of two out of three of the fixings attaching the hugger to its bracket.

Both are now off and ready for binning and a replacement mudsling is fitted.

I made a numberplate extender from 2mm aluminium with a 75mm wide "shelf" at the bottom edge. That, with a Mudsling and no TUV shovel keeps the bike reasonably clean. Refit the shovel and crap goes everywhere.

I believe the only way to beat the Mudsling and plate extender is with a Britten V1000 style rear wheel cover only a bit longer still.

300px-Britten_V1000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom