GoPro or Drift?

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know little about actions cams, but want to buy one to mount on my helmet, so want one with as small as possible front facing profile. I think I've narrowed it down to either the GoPro Hero5 Session or the Drift Stealth-S. Concerned about the Session's battery life though. Would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one of these and helmet mounts it. Saw the article in Ride which didn't review either of these, and surprisingly no GoPros.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Drift Stealth. Great camera and fits much better to the helmet instead of the 'brick' like GoPro. Having said that, the GoPro is the better camera for quality and footage.

I use mine mainly attached to the front of the bike, see clip (a bit cheesy, but you get the point)... https://youtu.be/RyLI2vrCgbk with a Drift Ghost on the helmet for vlogs.

No external mic to fit in you helmet on the Stealth though so either turn the mic off or have a lot of wind noise to all your footage.

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Drift are due to release a replacement camera Ghost 4K for a now discontinued Ghost S. The release was due to back in early October but according to Bennett it is due to be released by the end of this month. Drift has updated its smartphone app now three times all aimed at compatibility with the new camera. I'd wait till there are reviews on it then make judgement based on that. I am in two minds whether to part with my two Ghost s cameras just yet. and if I do I may go for a GoPro Session 5 if Drift 4K is no good.

I know little about actions cams, but want to buy one to mount on my helmet, so want one with as small as possible front facing profile. I think I've narrowed it down to either the GoPro Hero5 Session or the Drift Stealth-S. Concerned about the Session's battery life though. Would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one of these and helmet mounts it. Saw the article in Ride which didn't review either of these, and surprisingly no GoPros.
Thanks

I have the Drift Stealth. Great camera and fits much better to the helmet instead of the 'brick' like GoPro. Having said that, the GoPro is the better camera for quality and footage.

I use mine mainly attached to the front of the bike, see clip (a bit cheesy, but you get the point)... https://youtu.be/RyLI2vrCgbk with a Drift Ghost on the helmet for vlogs.

No external mic to fit in you helmet on the Stealth though so either turn the mic off or have a lot of wind noise to all your footage.

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Thanks. What's the Ghost like attached to the helmet?

Thanks. What's the Ghost like attached to the helmet?

It's bigger than the Stealth, not by much, but again does not stick out like the GoPro. I don't get any buffering from it and you have the options to put a mic in the helmet...

Follow the link in my signature to the YT account. All of the vlogs are used with the Ghost on the helmet. :beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 790
A good friend of mine bought a drift, thought it was the dogs. I later bought a gopro and though the brick sticks out the side of the helmet more, the option to quickly change the battery and quality of the footage has shown gopro to be the better option. Mounting the gopro to the chin bar of the lid is straightforward, only downside is can catch on your shoulder when checking junctions. Horses for courses.

Thanks Flaming T, will do so.
@sanensafe, I don't think you can swap the battery on the Hero5 Session....?

I use the Drift Ghost , and have connected a power bank (in jacket pocket) to it via the usb port, lasts all day if requited. Pic below

Attachments

• CM17226 (800x547).jpg
    CM17226 (800x547).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 804
I've posted on this in the past if you want to do a search. Basically, I use the small Drift Stealth 2 on a daily basis. It's a great little helmet POV camera but the battery is only good for a couple of hours at most and it's a fixed battery so you can't carry extra and change them out but it's fine for a commute and then charge when you're at your location (at work for example). The other downside is that it's not 4K or 60fps so you won't get a number plate in the dark but it's fine in the daytime. I would suggest that you make sure you use a good quality class 10 32gb mini SD card otherwise it'll shit the bed and turn off and you won't capture anything. Regularly format in camera and you're sorted.

I would personally wait for drift to release their new Drift Ghost 4k, it looks like it's going to be the dogs bollocks mate. I've used Drift since the first Ghost camera and not had any real problems.

drift-4k-camera-side.jpg

Had the Drift Ghost S, in fact 3 of them as I really liked the mounting ability and the rotating lens. However, I never could get the app to work correctly. But, having used the GoPro and the software capability for work, I'm hooked. I always went for the alternative as I like to think outside the box but the GoPro is hands down the better option for both quality and ability.

Back
Top Bottom