Curves book - Scotland

Richard, many thanks for sharing this information about the book and plotting the routes. I have downloaded them and just ordered a copy of the book.

My copy arrived today!
0ee9a81322d2a66fc668733967714940.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:beerjug:Thanks for the tip. Copy arrived today and I don't see much in the way of work happening tomorrow :beerjug:

After the above reviews I ordered the Italian Curves issue written in English. Great aerial photos of passes that you may have ridden but never seen from that angle before. Nice route and also elevation change drawings to compare. There's isn't a lot of text so I may very well well order some other ones, in German, as the drawing and photos are the mainstay of the book. Good tip, Ta.

As a Scotsman who has ridden most roads here, looking at this image I'd say they have captured all the best stuff :thumb

Thanks, that is high praise indeed! Now, as a local... what's the optimal time of year to visit? I'm thinking drier roads and fewer midges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is high praise indeed! Now, as a local... what's the optimal time of year to visit? I'm thinking drier roads and fewer midges.

I would say May or early June. Any later and you will be midged on the west coast. The weather is too unpredictable to be sure, but you would be unlucky to get uninterrupted rain.

I would say May or early June. Any later and you will be midged on the west coast. The weather is too unpredictable to be sure, but you would be unlucky to get uninterrupted rain.

Thank you. That works well for me schedule-wise too.

That's the difficult bit, I tend to have my routes all planned and just watch the weather forecasts, but then Im retired and can go when I please, I wouldnt be put off by midgies unless your camping.

That's the difficult bit, I tend to have my routes all planned and just watch the weather forecasts, but then Im retired and can go when I please, I wouldnt be put off by midgies unless your camping.

Well I had been considering some "rough" camping as I believe it is legal to camp without a designated camping site in Scotland. Anyone able confirm this or any rules to work with?

Correct, wild camping is no problem so long as you leave the place spotless when you depart.

Cheers Wapping for the heads up on the book and getting my arse into gear to plan something for the end of next month.
Im starting from callington on the morning of 23rd , and doing the motorway, Edinburgh leg in one day.
Looking through your ideas , this is the initial route. If anybody thinks im missing or passing by some beauties that i shouldn't be missing ,let me know .
Callington,
loanhead,
Killin,
Aviemore,
Inverness,
kyles of localsh, armadale,
Malaig
Fort Bill
Spean bridge,
Glencoe
Stirling
Loanhead
Callington
Accommodation is only arranged for the two nights before and after the long haul from down south
The distances covered in one day is weather dependent and no rush , but i have to be back in Callington for the 1st.
Thanks again

Loanhead???? As in Midlothian? Nowt wroong wiith Loanhead but seems an odd stop off place?

The "curves" book arrived ... sadly it is shit!

(Basically, its a 250 page brochure for a Panamera Hybrid, your Porsche dealer will give you one foc if you ask them nicely)

Buyer beware heh !

Strange wording ( though this made me laugh).

" Scotland is grey, barren, windswept and inhabited by people who are tight-fisted, belligerent and headstrong."

All the photos look as if a 5-year-old has been let loose with adobe lightroom.... very flat and dull. Disappointing that the OP didnt tell us about this imho.

my maw still lives there....free digs ,first night
And after running up most of the country on motorways , that turn off at abingdon I really enjoy running alongside of the pentland hills, that's my own sort of coming home home stretch if you know what i mean.:D:thumb
Loanhead???? As in Midlothian? Nowt wroong wiith Loanhead but seems an odd stop off place?

The "curves" book arrived ... sadly it is shit!

(Basically, its a 250 page brochure for a Panamera Hybrid, your Porsche dealer will give you one foc if you ask them nicely)

Buyer beware heh !

Strange wording ( though this made me laugh).

" Scotland is grey, barren, windswept and inhabited by people who are tight-fisted, belligerent and headstrong."

All the photos look as if a 5-year-old has been let loose with adobe lightroom.... very flat and dull. Disappointing that the OP didnt tell us about this imho.

Piss off, StuartW.

Back
Top Bottom