Lookin For an R100GS

Despite my professing to harbour deep long lasting love for the red variety, it looks like I may have fallen for a purple Ribena one. :bounce1

I think I'll have to start popping LSD and wearing shell suits to feel totally at ease with it. :D

Bill, I'm on with a full restoration of a 1989 R100gs it's going to be lovely! White bike with blue decals. :thumb2 photos available when I've finished it.

What's your budget then?

Not giving a budget as it runs the risk of someone going off on a mission to buy something that I'm already bidding/negotiating over with a view to selling it on to me with end result of me paying more for something I already had in hand. PM me if you have something to sell.

Bill, I'm on with a full restoration of a 1989 R100gs it's going to be lovely! White bike with blue decals. :thumb2 photos available when I've finished it.

I like the K series switchgear and the fairing on the post 1990 models so wouldn't be interested in a 1989 model. Cheers anyway.:thumb2

I remember...

... the good old days. 1983. Bought a nearly new R80G/S for £2,000. Hammered it into the ground and sold it for £1,500. 2010. Bought a lovely restored Paris Dakar for £6,500. Hammered it into the ground and sold it for £8,000. Oh for those old days where you knew where you were with a secondhand bike. It's so complicated now, hence this...

"Not giving a budget as it runs the risk of someone going off on a mission to buy something that I'm already bidding/negotiating over with a view to selling it on to me with end result of me paying more for something I already had in hand."

I sympathise with your predicament. Unfortunately I think it's eBay's fault. Just think, without it we'd all meet up at countryside cafes on a Saturday morning and say, "Yeah, £1,500 seems a fair offer".

Florence is your best bet, he spends half the week in Germany. They're not cheap any more but there's tons of them. Look at www.mobile.de and let him do the work.

Is it the round headlight/small fairing one that you're looking for or the bigger frame fairing one?

Steve.

You you looking for one which needs work or an immaculate example...

I've a 1989 R100GS 38k miles round headlight model, just needs a good tidy up.....

Or a 1993 R100GS P/D, a genuine PD model,not a conversion and with 32K miles. Again, needs a tidy and very very light damage, the Fairing/bull bars are bent .... But i've a spare set to replace them with with.

Also have a R100GS 1992 with only 5k miles. But it's expensive.

Also have a R100GS 1992 120k miles.

All are the same colour, Black and Yellow. And i'm likely to change my mind about selling any of them .. :D

Oh, just remembered my White and blue R100GS, thought i'd sold it last year but then remembered it was my other Blue and White with a kickstart that i sold... Too many bikes not enough brian* cells.

* intended.

I've a 1989 R100GS 38k miles round headlight model, just needs a good tidy up.....

Or a 1993 R100GS P/D, a genuine PD model,not a conversion and with 32K miles. Again, needs a tidy and very very light damage, the Fairing/bull bars are bent .... But i've a spare set to replace them with with.

All are the same colour, Black and Yellow. And i'm likely to change my mind about selling any of them .. :D

Oh, just remembered my White and blue R100GS, thought i'd sold it last year but then remembered it was my other Blue and White with a kickstart that i sold... Too many bikes not enough brian* cells.

* intended.

I may be wrong but I'm getting the distinct impression you like the R100GS, especially in black and yellow (great colour combination)!

... the good old days. 1983. Bought a nearly new R80G/S for £2,000. Hammered it into the ground and sold it for £1,500. 2010. Bought a lovely restored Paris Dakar for £6,500. Hammered it into the ground and sold it for £8,000. Oh for those old days where you knew where you were with a secondhand bike. It's so complicated now, hence this...

"Not giving a budget as it runs the risk of someone going off on a mission to buy something that I'm already bidding/negotiating over with a view to selling it on to me with end result of me paying more for something I already had in hand."

I sympathise with your predicament. Unfortunately I think it's eBay's fault. Just think, without it we'd all meet up at countryside cafes on a Saturday morning and say, "Yeah, £1,500 seems a fair offer".

Florence is your best bet, he spends half the week in Germany. They're not cheap any more but there's tons of them. Look at www.mobile.de and let him do the work.

Is it the round headlight/small fairing one that you're looking for or the bigger frame fairing one?

Steve.

Square headlight.

* intended.

feckin hell, a whole herd of the rubber cows.:thumb2

On surface I dont care too much about cosmetics, however with distance buying I am using the cosnmetics to gauge what sort of life the bike has had. I know its not an exact science but any signs of abuse, neglect, lack of unsderstanding of the machine leaves me having to accept that there might be trouble in the mechanicals in near future.

I'll PM you steptoe. :thumb2

Well I did finally get one, although its a pink one. Fresh in from germany and Philgunn did the honours of bringing her back, rather him than me on this occasion especially with storm force winds for the ferry :eek:, I think I'd have thrown myself over the rails. He had it tied down so well that if his van had upended in the hold the bike wouldn't have budged, first class service from a great guy, no messing. Price was too hard to pass over for this low miler which had been parked up since 2003 as I can easily justify a new paint job if I can't live with pink, even if it might seem like sacrilege to repaint the nice shiny plastics on it. Pics to follow when I've got her registered and lined up against some suitable Irish landscape backdrop. :D

The 90s are cool again, so why not keep the pink and get some retro bad taste 90s Fieldsheer leathers to suit.:thumb2. :D

So far this bike has been bought on trust, a long distance buy, where without laying a hand on it I take the word of a used bike dealership in Germany as to whether the bike is as they describe, a certain part of this is my judging the bikes cosmetics with notion that they can tell a tale too. I knew I was taking a gamble but I thought the price was good enough to factor in a gearbox change plus a paint change. The bike was purchased by previous owner new in 1992 and ridden until 2002 and parked up thereafter after having new Anakee tyres fitted and a change of oil plus other possible service items, receipts from 2002 show the mileage pretty much as its is now. So far I'd been able to start it and warm engine up to change the oil, but today it had to be ridden to the NCTS ( Irish equivalent of MOT station) place for its importation asessment and payment of relevant import duty, the untested gearbox would reveal wether she was nice and strong or a wreck about to chew its bearings up. Anyway, the bike proved to be a beauty, a well balanced crankshaft and nice gearchanges with no hint of a whine or rumble. Drained the warm gearbox and final drive oil but the drain plug washers were well flattened out so I'll refrain from filling until I get new ones. The 15 year old new Anakees are likely hardened so I may be better off to replace them with something fresher ( or is that just being OTT?) and I will give the carbs a set of new gaskets and diaphrams just in case they crack up, plus the speedo drive rubber is perished and the trip reset rubber is too. The BMW panniers are surprisingly light so might stay on for a while longer, although theres a set of touratech frames fresh in the post from Florence today :thumb2.. Looking forward to fitting a few other items such as migsel stand, wudo screen, spots, clock, voltmeter, Givi Topbox using the R100GS specific tubular rack for givi mount etc etc, some nice jobs for those sunny days. The very fine dust on it tells me that this bike really did just sit in someones dry garage for close to 15 years from 2002 and I'll be tempted to contact the previous owner to see what the story was ( there must be a story, right?). Was a drizzly damp sort of morning so not great picture weather but heres a couple all the same. Oh, and that colour, not the most popular but I can feel myself warming to it already so it may stay purple and not be transformed intom a red one.

Attachments

• DSC_1141e.jpg
    DSC_1141e.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_1140e.jpg
    DSC_1140e.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 278

Back
Top Bottom