Website Building & Hosting Advice

Simmo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
We have a local transport show which is in it’s 9th year, we normally get about 250 vehicle & 4000 visitors. We run it voluntarily & any profits go to local charities.
I was looking at setting up a basic website so that we could advertise the date, give directions, put up photos, put links up for sponsors etc.
Could somebody be able to recommend me a simple programme (perhaps web based?) to publish the content & a reliable web hosting site?
We have a Facebook page so would like to be able link to that & also perhaps in the future be able to do more such as manage administration of the vehicle passes.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

Buy a domain, most of the places you can buy one will give you a basic website with it for not a lot of money.

the first step is to buy a website address. check for any cheap domain hosting providers in the UK. https://www.1and1.co.uk/ are cheap and so are https://www.lcn.com/. There are many others. Once you buy your domain name, then the next step is building the site. A simple site can be setup using the website builder on the site from where you buy the domain. Else, you can also use Wix or SquareSpace to build the website and then link your domain name to the site that you build. This is not as difficult as it sounds.

If you want to go for a more snazzy website, then you can decide to use wordpress and buy some templates off the wordress site itself or use other wordpress template providers. The advantage with wordpress is that you have booking applications etc that can be added to a wordpress site. There may be something that helps to allocate pass or similar already available on wordpress.

Hope that information helps. Ask if you have any further/specific queries. :thumb

Cheers
K

As DD says, hosting and a domain required, maybe look at LCN or similar. Self build sites tend to be quite limiting and look pretty basic. Alternative is find a wordpress or similar developer who for prob 500 quid should put a site together and train you how to update etc.

Be warned, neither of the above will make you rage into the google listinings, most web developers are just that, how a site is put together is only a fraction of making it successful in organic search engine listings.

I use jimdo. Cheap. Good support and tutorials avaliable. Offers a shopping cart as well that uses paypal

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you don't mind using a sub domain in your website address Just go to http://www.wordpress.com and set-up a free wordpress site. Once you land on the site a wizard starts up that walks you through the options and builds the site in the background for you. Its a highly customisable, and scale-able platform that you can start with for no cost and expand as you need to. Its Open Source and there are loads of free plugins if you want to register people, embed PayPal buttons. There is also a large user forum that gives loads of valuable free support.

Don't blame me after you've created your monster though! :D:D

I'd probably recommend https://www.squarespace.com - they have some very nice templates and it's pretty easy to use, although a lot depends on the type and quality of your content. If it's quite photo heavy I'd go with square space, but if it's very text heavy / editorial then Wordpress would probably suit better

I don't know a site, but blogs are popular these days, you can create some blogs in Wix or WordPress. They are the same as sites. And building these blogs can be much easier than building a site. There is free choices and if you need a free logo, you can still go for DesignEvo to make one. Those are not bad choices.

I second Squarespace too if you don't have much experience in publishing anything online.
Prepare your content, put up photos (nicely formatted per their templates) and contact forms are quick and easy to set up.
It has a cost, but it's not high for basic website + domain without ecommerce.

Back
Top Bottom