A bit of Chile

Reasonable cost Arsey, or outrageous?

My 800GS was $300 all in which was supposedly 48 hours but they let us have them half a day longer for nothing.

With regard to dogs,yes there were a few.Got chased a few times and we even had the fuckers on the taxi way when we left last night.

It's a long way.

14 hours and 1 min down and 13 hr 57 home but we still managed to load extra gas for the freezing fog,which cleared off before we got there.

I'm going back in 2 weeks but not planning on renting as may take my son and go hiking etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arsey, thanks for sharing....looks very interesting and varied....(wonder if those tunnels are just old railway routes that have been adapted out of necessity)...noticed the Lycra-clad cyclist in a shot from Banos Morales - perhaps this is a favourite route for them. also - but how the Heck do they keep tyres in one piece?

Also noticed the horseshoes set in the pavement at the kerbside - nothing like wishing you a bit of good luck when crossing the road, I suppose?!

It will be interesting to see more from your next visit....

I'm pretty sure they aren't railway tunnels as the terrain was far too twisty and hilly for tracks .

Really nice posting that .. great pictures and thanks for taking the time to share :thumb2

Really nice posting that .. great pictures and thanks for taking the time to share :thumb2

Ta.

Went back to Banos Morales last week ,where the last pic was taken and did a trek up to the San Francisco Glacier.

Beautiful !!

551b6c1a141d951c3e2fabdea450eec0.jpg
461a69f244262d8002ff8079511de8cc.jpg

Wow, fantastic pictures; bring back a few memories. I lived in Chile in the late 90's and picked up a wife along the way. Don't get back as much as we like too. A fecking long way to travel and an expensive trip if you have to pay for 4 tickets! The country is fantastic especially in the summer. City folks tend to be money infatuated pricks (yes I am generalising) but as soon as you get out of Santiago things are better especially in the small villages. I'd love to take my bike there for a trip!
Best time to go - my guess after the summer (our winter) holidays are over. Santiago basically shuts down from 1st January to mid Feb and everyone leaves to go on holiday. Best bet would be March for a 3 week trip. I'd like to take the bike south all the way down to Punta Arenas.

Arsey, you visiting or are you living there?

Wow, fantastic pictures; bring back a few memories. I lived in Chile in the late 90's and picked up a wife along the way. Don't get back as much as we like too. A fecking long way to travel and an expensive trip if you have to pay for 4 tickets! The country is fantastic especially in the summer. City folks tend to be money infatuated pricks (yes I am generalising) but as soon as you get out of Santiago things are better especially in the small villages. I'd love to take my bike there for a trip!
Best time to go - my guess after the summer (our winter) holidays are over. Santiago basically shuts down from 1st January to mid Feb and everyone leaves to go on holiday. Best bet would be March for a 3 week trip. I'd like to take the bike south all the way down to Punta Arenas.

Arsey, you visiting or are you living there?

I'm going most months on a work trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great ... thank you for sharing :thumby:

Still on the back burner for me ... couple of months in South America :rob

:beerjug:

Still on the back burner for me ... couple of months in South America

Whats the plan then Micky?

I wanted to do the whole of Americas top to bottom for a good few years now, but with young nippers and not wanting to wait until they are grown up at least 12 years, now thinking may be better breaking up into 1 month trips every couple of years.

My thought was to buy any mechanically sound bike over there, strap a couple of throw over on and jobs a good un. Interested to hear your plans.

Thanks for posting trip up photos

Still on the back burner for me ... couple of months in South America

Whats the plan then Micky?

I wanted to do the whole of Americas top to bottom for a good few years now, but with young nippers and not wanting to wait until they are grown up at least 12 years, now thinking may be better breaking up into 1 month trips every couple of years.

My thought was to buy any mechanically sound bike over there, strap a couple of throw over on and jobs a good un. Interested to hear your plans.

Thanks for posting trip up photos

No plan really, would like to ship my bike over there for a couple of months :D

But as daft as owt I don't like the idea of leaving this old dog Millie for that long. She's thirteen and I enjoy going off in the VW Camper with her ... two geriatrics together :rob

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom