Bilbao to Algeciras route info request

Nick H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apologies for interrupting the thread, but i am arriving at Bilbao on the 4th April at 0745 and have a ferry booked from Algeciras at 1400 on the 6th. Would be very grateful for any thoughts on best route down and good location to stop overnight given i'll have a few hours in the morning of the 6th to get to the ferry.

Advice much appreciated

Nick

Moved to new thread.

Have a look at the route info on post #3 on this thread

Most of the motorways in Spain are toll free, but not the AP-68 and AP-1 between Bilbao and Burgos. Nevertheless I strongly suggest you spend the money on the tolls as the alternative non-motorway route is painfully slow.

From Burgos take the toll-free A-62 all the way to Salamanca then head south on the toll-free A-66.

Mérida is an fascinating place to stop with lots of Roman ruins but you'd need to hit the road by 8am the next morning for a relaxing ride to Algeciras.

Have fun!

That's very much appreciated Tim, thanks.

I may trouble you for a view on our route in Morocco when we have given it a bit more thought if that's OK. We have 8 full days there and want to see quite a bit but not be spending all day every day getting to our next stop.

Tim

How about the non toll motorway from Bilbao to Santander and then down from there. Is it worth that to avoid the toll?

Cheers

Nick

Going across to Santander and then down adds about 20 minutes and 16 miles according to Basecamp. Some of that 20 minutes will be made up for in not stopping for the toll booth(s) though.

Sounds a good idea. Unlike France where bikes are cheaper than cars on toll roads, in Spain each bike is charged the same as a car. Doesn't feel right to me, so I pay **very** slowly—pull to a halt, take off gloves, search for wallet, drop change, get off bike... ... ....

Cheers guys, thanks for that. Off on the ferry from Portsmouth Sunday night

:)

That adds up to quite a bit for my son and I on two bikes. At least plenty saved for a few beers at the end of the day!

Back
Top Bottom