New Engine !!!

Possibly a reason for me to consider selling the RT this year before warranty runs out. No bike is perfect but a £17500 bike should!

Just had my engine, drive shaft & Swingarm replaced foc.. And the bike is 3 months out of warranty

Possibly a reason for me to consider selling the RT this year before warranty runs out. No bike is perfect but a £17500 bike should!

Fair play. I doubt if many other manufacturers would do the same. Result.

Just to make everyone sick, the engines they change get crushed. I have an RT and eyed a 3000 mile engine up thinking it'd be nice to have tucked up in the garage for years ahead when my RT had a million miles on it :D ... but couldn't have it cos it goes to the crusher :'(

Just to make everyone sick, the engines they change get crushed. I have an RT and eyed a 3000 mile engine up thinking it'd be nice to have tucked up in the garage for years ahead when my RT had a million miles on it :D ... but couldn't have it cos it goes to the crusher :'(

I have had car alloys replaced under warranty for corrosion and they cut them up took a photo for the manufacturer and threw them in the scrap skip such a waste

Picking up my bike tomorrow, new engine, gear box and final drive. Returning there Scrambler lone bike, will be cold wet and full of crap when I arrive there :blast

Bugger, bugger, bugger, had a good look round the bike this morning, the replacement f/drive they have put on has more corrosion than the one they took off :D they also put a 150mm long scratch in one of the panels :rolleyes: pics off to BMW.

Bugger, bugger, bugger, had a good look round the bike this morning, the replacement f/drive they have put on has more corrosion than the one they took off :D they also put a 150mm long scratch in one of the panels :rolleyes: pics off to BMW.

That's ridiculous but I'd be confident that they'll sort it. It's the inconvenience that's the problem.

How come?

How can they replace a FD with a new one with corrosion?

A new FD should be spanking new?

There's so many leading edges on the GS engine that is polished flat, I wonder if they mask off before painting or just just cut back after painted ! surely if they cut it back this leaves an open wound for salt, harsh cleaning products to creep in and start the corrosion .

Get it sealed with hybridX nano .

Apologies for the thread resurrection..... but thought I'd add my two penneth'

I have a 15' RT that has had HybridX Nano treatment which has made no difference to the corrosion issues.

My local dealer put forward the case to BMW and they have responded by agreeing to have the engine rebuilt into new engine casings instead of replacing the engine. Apparently they have stopped replacing engines this year and now opt for a new casings instead. Also having the swing arm and final drive replaced. Dealer isn't too happy at the outcome as the rebuild will obviously take a lot longer than engine replacement, infact they don't know how long it will take yet!

As an aside, I had a 13' plate GS that had a new engine & final drive, wife had a fork leg replaced on a 13' f800r and I also had a 09' (I think) r12gsa that had new final drive. So it appears that the corrosion issue isn't getting any better and this will certainly be my last BMW having had to of them now. Also, a mate of mine has just had a 66' r12gs replaced with a brand new bike due to corrosion.

Apologies for the thread resurrection..... but thought I'd add my two penneth'

I have a 15' RT that has had HybridX Nano treatment which has made no difference to the corrosion issues.

My local dealer put forward the case to BMW and they have responded by agreeing to have the engine rebuilt into new engine casings instead of replacing the engine.

Apparently they have stopped replacing engines this year and now opt for a new casings instead.

Also having the swing arm and final drive replaced.

Dealer isn't too happy at the outcome as the rebuild will obviously take a lot longer than engine replacement, infact they don't know how long it will take yet!

As an aside, I had a 13' plate GS that had a new engine & final drive, wife had a fork leg replaced on a 13' f800r and I also had a 09' (I think) r12gsa that had new final drive.

So it appears that the corrosion issue isn't getting any better and this will certainly be my last BMW having had to of them now.

Also, a mate of mine has just had a 66' r12gs replaced with a brand new bike due to corrosion.

Wot no new engines, it's a scandal guv'nor:eek:

I wouldn't be 'appy about a rebuild:augie

I had a new engine last month ?

looks like I'm being lied to then!
The dealer told me that he needs to collate part numbers and get parts availability first. To be honest they aren't my regular dealer as I've moved house and I'm not particularly impressed by them so far.

Back
Top Bottom