Cento Passi - 100 passes - Courtesy of Simon W at RiDE

Wapping

Reaction score
Simon W was as kind as to share a '100 passes' ride from 2005 with me, pre-cut into a .gpx format.

I have taken the liberty of:

(1) Sharing it here, via Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1u7djq3po6ou4q/RiDE 2005 Centopassi.GPX?dl=0

(2) Adding in a route from RiDE's excellent 'Guide to France' that will take a rider from Calais to Grenoble, from where (via a short in-fill I just dropped in) it's possible to pick up the '100 passes' route.

http://www.ride.co.uk/routes/

Is it all perfect? I haven't checked it all, though it certainly looks OK. I chose to add in RiDE's route to Grenoble, as it was a good opportunity to promote RiDE's efforts to create and share routes and as it suited what I wanted to show, being:

(a) That it's possible to beg, steal or borrow routes from several sources, mix them together, add a bit in to suit yourself and you've got yourself a holiday.

(b) That it's possible to find ideas and work out alternatives for yourself, without necessarily going straight out with an appeal of: "I want a route to, down great roads...." all without too much effort.

(c) That it's possible to do it all in BaseCamp, without cheating and without any problems.

Have fun and be sure to let Simon W (and us) know how you get on.

Richard

PS You want to come home from Nice? Easy.... Reverse the route. Better still, work out your own way.... The answers are out there, have a go. it's fun, it's free and they can't touch you for it.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this. I'm an idiot about these things. I download that file and it comes up a a list of gobbledygook. Do I need to download a programme to read it?

:eek::eek: :confused:

How do I get that on to my Garmin Zumo 660?

Complete dummy's version, please.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this. I'm an idiot about these things. I download that file and it comes up a a list of gobbledygook. Do I need to download a programme to read it?

:eek::eek: :confused:

How do I get that on to my Garmin Zumo 660?

Complete dummy's version, please.

Have you downloaded it on a mac, if so has it given the file a .txt extension? if so remove it and just leave the .gpx extension. You should then be able to transfer it as normal.

Lee is spot on.

For some reason that I do not understand, a .gpx file - when imported into a Mac from Dropbox - gains a .txt extension at the end. This turns all the data within the file into the gobbledygook (basically it's text) you see in front of you.

Rename the file by deleting the .txt ending only. It should then open up in BaseCamp, Mapsource or many other brands of software that are capable of reading .gpx files.

Once the file is open in BaseCamp or Mapsource, you'll be able to see the route on your computer. You'll then be able to send it to your GPS device and / or alter it to suit your own purposes, just like normal. If you are stuck on how to do that, there are lots of very good video tutorials out there. Google: 'Send a route to Garmin GPS' and watch a couple to get the hang of it.

Still stuck?

Ask a question in the GPS section. Someone will answer it for sure.

Many thanks for the replies, Lee, Wapping.
Yes, it's on a MacBook Pro. I'll do that when I get home. I didn't realise I had to download Mapsource etc to read these files.

I'll also check out the online tutorials.

Cheers :beerjug:

Many thanks for the replies, Lee, Wapping.
Yes, it's on a MacBook Pro. I'll do that when I get home. I didn't realise I had to download Mapsource etc to read these files.

I'll also check out the online tutorials.

Cheers :beerjug:

You do not have to download any software just to transfer the route to your 660, you could just drag and drop the route into your gpx folder that is in the internal memory on your 660, but i would strongly advise downloading basecamp and learning how to use it, its very good and is designed to work with your nav and mac, (other software is available).

Again, Lee is spot on.

If you have a Mac, I'd definitely go for BaseCamp. You'll be new to it, so you won't be bringing any baggage with you from having used Mapsource in the past. It is very good software, trust me. Yes, a Mac does things differently than a PC and BaseCamp does do some things a bit differently than Mapsource or some other third party (often Google map based) software, but it does what it does very well.

BaseCamp is designed specifically to work with Garmin based devices and is fully supported by Garmin. Use it with absolute confidence.

Have you downloaded it on a mac, if so has it given the file a .txt extension? if so remove it and just leave the .gpx extension. You should then be able to transfer it as normal.

Well thats an easy solution, thanks for that Lee, works for me on my Mac :)

BaseCamp is designed specifically to work with Garmin based devices and is fully supported by Garmin. Use it with absolute confidence.

Within a matter of years you will find this tool marginally intuitive and be able to do things in Google Maps / Tyre / My Route App that took you many seconds to learn :D

Very handy in the way it stores waypoints and routes in a Database and allows you to organise things logically (using your own logic) but I still end up tweaking in another tool as Basecamp cannot do a simple route line drag to amend route or a little mouse wiggle to add a Waypoint.

It is however invaluable for storing my Alpine Passes and other favourite locations to be used in future routes and archiving old routes and works much better for displaying multiple routes such as all routes for one tour.

Others may find it is the only tool they need, but for me it is an important tool in my planning toolkit.

Just one in an arsenal of tools that i use, it has a major advantage over many of the others as it needs no connection to the internet and requires no cellular connection, a bit like a paper map but not as reliable it seems, judging by the problems people encounter with it.

routes.

Thanks for that wapping, am glad am not alone in trying to work out mapsource:blast but i found the ride guide link really helpful and i like the way it opens the route via google maps giving distance and time, which is going to be handy for planning our return route back from Croatia.

Thanks for that wapping, ..... i found the ride guide link really helpful and i like the way it opens the route via google maps giving distance and time.

The RiDE routes are indeed nicely structured and very user friendly. They are, if you like, a guided route but without the cost of a guide's organisational skills. The monthly magazine and their 'Specials' are reasonably cheap but nicely produced. Give one or two a go.

Richard

Basecamp cannot do a simple route line drag to amend route or a little mouse wiggle to add a Waypoint.

Er... yes it can, on a Mac anyway. Black arrow selection tool lets you drag-line edit the route (putting in a "shaping point" at the point to which you've dragged the line). A control-click (or a right-click if you have two-button mouse) opens the contextual menu that lets you create a waypoint wherever you've clicked on the map - though, true, you have to add it into the route manually.

I know the PC version of BaseCamp does operate differently, but surely it must retain this functionality somewhere? It'd be – and I know this is the standard complaint – unuseable without it...

I have no idea why they cannot do the drag and drop route move on a PC when Google / My Route App can get it to work in a web browser on a Tablet, but it does indeed severely limit the product for PC users.

Rasher is correct that in the true sense of the meaning (drag and drop), this can not be done on a pc to move a route you are working on in basecamp, but you can achieve almost the same function ( and i do mean almost and not the same as) by using the insert tool, is this as good as drag and drop, (that would be no) does it work (yes in a fashion). for those that do not know how to, the video below shows it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXdcAh6bIKk

Good grief. I'm especially glad I only use Macs now, watching that. I did try MapSource on a PC and found it more cumbersome but just about manageable - I knew everyone on a PC does find Basecamp unwieldy; I hadn't realised it was that cumbersome.

That video's invaluable, though.

Simon in all fairness its not to bad once you get the hang of it, its like most other things the more you use and learn it the easier it becomes. I have said many times, its not perfect but for me its very good others would argue that its a piece of shit, each to there own i guess.

Back
Top Bottom