Hello from S Wales plus i've a quandry!

Bloopdad

Reaction score
Hi all
A great forum you have here.
After riding for the last 28yrs (11 bikes - all Jap), I've decided to go for a GS. I need a bike to commute on, tour and weekend blasts. My last bike was a bit of a project - a Suzuki "widowmaker" TL1000s. It's now fully restored and great for summer weekend blasts. The boss won't let me have 2 bikes so the TL has to go which is where the GS comes in.
My quandary -
Do I use my savings of £6k to buy outright an older GS or
Put my £6000 plus finance for a 2010 twin cam air cooled/newer model or
Take advantage of the BMW PCP deal on a new TE machine?

After testing a 2008 bike I wasn't put off by its vibrations or clunkiness (I've a TL remember - I'm well used to that!) or that it isn't a blisteringly rapid m/c, it just felt "right".

So a GS is definitely the way to go for me, any advice on model spec, good dealers or my 3 possible options.

Thanks in anticipation.
Bloopdad

PS. anyone wanna buy a fully restored TL?

I guess it depends on your attitude to finance/PCP

The older TCs are great bikes, solid and DIY servicable even by idiots like me.

The LC is IMO the "better" bike in rideability and performance/handling although not as solidly built

If you are PCP financing just do the sensible thing and get the XR

Hi, as reduce says, if you can spring for a Twin cam (2010-13) then of the older bikes these are the ones to go for. The newer water cooled bikes are a different beast. Technically they are more advanced in pretty much every field....apart from character (in my opinion). I prefer the old TC so moved back from an LC....but the TC is a bit of a bus compared to the LC. The TC can be a bit vibey BUT can be cured by a gadget that increases the fuel/air mixture...makes a massive difference to smoothness and increases punch. Go for condition over miles on either the TC or LC and you won't go too wrong....but you need to ride both to understand the difference....both are great bikes.

Alternatively, you could buy a well looked after 54 plate 1200 for £4k and have something left over :thumb :augie

PM me if interested

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated. I've some thinking to do....
I'm edging towards a TC plus finance but am tempted by PCP on a new one as the monthly cost is only £140 but then there's the £7000+ elephant to consider in 3yrs time!
Decisions, decisions...

if its your first gs i'd go for the TC, if your not a short arse I'd recommend you look for a GSA with dynamic and premium packs (thats all the toys you would want and easy to sell on) plus luggage would be good.
If you have £6k cash there wouldnt be much to finance, a bank loan would make sense, have a look at private sales on here, some really nice bikes to be had for less than n9k

Got my TE from Riders Cardiff on PCP and trade in. Got a good deal and was looked after, got a deal on luggage and protection bars. Will probably trade in at end of payments so no big lump. You could probably use a bulk for deposit and see if they can do a deal on luggage.

I was in the same situation last February, I opted to buy a 10 year old immaculate 1200gs, it is truly gorgeous it had 6k miles on it! never been out in the wet, looking back, a year on, I would do the same again. Can't get my head around not actually owning my bike so the lease option would not be for me. Whatever you do good luck.

There are plenty of cracking good used bikes to be had for that kind of money. Put your six grand down and finance the rest thro a dealer on a newer model. I did just that on a 2012 triple black, no test ride i just knew the time had come and it's changed me from a summer biker into an all year biker. I now take the long way and don't get bored after 100 miles. Two weeks ago went for a lap of Stonehenge, 400 mile round trip, bloody ace it was.
Remember with pcp you have to let the dealer service the bike every year and you get to pay handsomely for the privilege. Also they will tie you into mileage and also you will need to run the gauntlet with the guaranteed future value. Also factor in gap insurance and the fact you will never own it. Don't get me wrong pcp is brilliant, I have two cars on it, just be aware of the rules before getting tunnel vision. Either way get one brought and you won't go far wrong with a clean late twin cam I cannot tell you how much fun my bike is, it's really given me back the buzz that had been missing in the leathers and fast bike years.

Buy the best 1150 'proper' GS you can find for under 4 grand. Farkle it with some splendid additions from the For Sale section............and spend the rest on 2 holidays a year for the next 2 years. A decent 1150 will take you anywhere.

Hi all
A great forum you have here.
After riding for the last 28yrs (11 bikes - all Jap), I've decided to go for a GS. I need a bike to commute on, tour and weekend blasts. My last bike was a bit of a project - a Suzuki "widowmaker" TL1000s. It's now fully restored and great for summer weekend blasts. The boss won't let me have 2 bikes so the TL has to go which is where the GS comes in.
My quandary -
Do I use my savings of £6k to buy outright an older GS or
Put my £6000 plus finance for a 2010 twin cam air cooled/newer model or
Take advantage of the BMW PCP deal on a new TE machine?

After testing a 2008 bike I wasn't put off by its vibrations or clunkiness (I've a TL remember - I'm well used to that!) or that it isn't a blisteringly rapid m/c, it just felt "right".

So a GS is definitely the way to go for me, any advice on model spec, good dealers or my 3 possible options.

Thanks in anticipation.
Bloopdad

PS. anyone wanna buy a fully restored TL?

I was in the same position last August, sold my Hayabusa after 25 years of sports bikes and bought a 1200GS 2007 for 5K cash tons of extras on it. Love the bike. My feeling was that I wanted to own the bike outright, didn't want the debt (even though it's cheap to borrow at the moment) and I not tied into any contracts...for me it was all about peace of mind!

Even thought the notion of getting something much better and newer was very tempting there was also the fact of depreciation to consider, Glad I did it this way though. No extra worries.

I also thought as this was my first GS, I wanted to ride it a while and then save more money and get something better like a 1200 GSA TE later...for cash.

Back
Top Bottom