Buying Advice 2008 R1200GS

arealhuman

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the chance of purchasing a 2008 R1200GS and wondered if there's anything in particular to look out for. I've not had a GS before so don't know if there are any particular foibles I should be aware of. I'd appreciate any advice or pointers and will do my own research over the weekend when time permits! The bike has around 34k miles and from what I can tell a dealer service history (have yet to check the paperwork). Although I've seen the bike I've not yet heard it running or ridden it.

Thank you in advance.

You will probably find it quite agricultural as the clutch is a similar set up to a car, and changing gear can sound clunky Once you are over that little chestnut you should find it a pleasure to ride,
You may read some horror stories on here regarding break downs but generally the bikes are very reliable. Well mine is.

I would make sure the recalls have been completed rear brake disk flange replacement and fuel pump controller (This may have been sorted on the 2008 model) check for play in the rear wheel/final drive by looking for any movement.
Check service history regular oil changes from new should be every 6000 miles
EWS failure has been known to be an issue with the R1200GS affecting 2007 & 2008 models check to see if yours has it. http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index0d47.html?fa=contentGeneric.nvxszdkebklxuaer&pageId=347943

Thank you very much for the reply. You've put me off a bit! By agricultural, do you mean vibey, or just not as refined as other bikes can be (I've had a Triumph Tiger Explorer which was nice and smooth, got ride of it as the finish was dreadful). I've sat on the R1200GS without the engine running, the hydraulic clutch seemed very light. My intended use is going to be commuting in all weathers and perhaps the odd trip if I get on with the bike. I haven't ruled out some off-road stuff either having come from a minor dirtbike background, but I've never taken anything this big on to the mud!

All advice and comments very welcome.

Take it for a test ride and make your own mind up, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, don't let me put you off.
Mine is clunky in slow moving traffic slow manoeuvres its the clutch action, not vibey at all, once moving it's awesome.

I think you'll be planning more than the odd trip once you've bought It.

As for off road and mud many people have, green laning is fine, maybe the F800 might be more what your after?

Have a look at some YouTube reviews

Didn't think mine was particularly agricultural, but then again I came from a VTR1000 which have a famously clunky 1st/2nd change, and obviously it's a twin also. Before that I had a Buell so not exactly a picture of refinement :)

The GS to me just feels sorta like a big dirt bike. If you've come from a refined Japanese IL4 I can understand the statement perhaps.

Aside from the clunky gear change (some are worse than others) it also took time to get used to the clutch action in traffic where you are taking up the slack in the drivetrain much of the time. You'll notice that when filtering mostly but now I don't think about it.

Other than that, being air/oil cooled the motor is a lot more mechanical sounding than one which has a water jacket around half the internals.

2008 GS ?

All of the above plus :
When you test ride it,make sure the clutch is n't slipping.As it's probably the most expensive fix.
Does the fuel gauge work ?
Make sure the "brake failure" warning light goes out as you ride off.
They are great bikes !

Corrosion rot and some more corrosion.
If you thought the Triumph didn't fare well I fear the GS is going to be a disappointment.

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies and tips. I think based on the comments here and the age of the bike, I'll probably pass this time. I'm particularly concerned about duckspeed's comments, as my Explorer seemed to dissolve without exposing it to a British winter and I can't believe anyhting could be as bad as it was in terms of finish!

Thanks again.

Wow I am surprised that you can be talked out of buying a bike so easily without taking it for a test ride. Any bike will deteriorate with no care or maintenance.

My bikes a 2006 and its not corroding away to dust.

I'm also surprised. I bought my first gs three weeks ago. It's got some mild corrosion where they all seem to have it. As said above its a little interesting in slow traffic. Only advice I have is get on it and have a decent test ride. Decide after that.

I just ACF50'd mine up at the start of December and it's doing a great job so far. The accelerator module sorted out low speed traffic behaviour nicely.

It's all about condition. I have seen 2008 bikes that have done 60k and are pristine (look at the 2008 GSA in the For sale section) and 2012 TCs that have done under 15k and are complete shockers.

Things that can go wrong include the Final Drive so check to see if there is any play in the rear wheel (about £450 to sort) and as with any bike....the rear shock can give up....can be fixed for about £150. The fuel strip can also give up but a cheap fix. Other than that the motor is bullet proof.

There is a reason these bikes are so popular....and boy do they grow on you. Get out and ride one....go on condition and you can't go far wrong. I don't recognise the comments on lumpy clutch BUT as with most bikes these day that are tuned to run lean to meet emissions, they can be a bit snatch low speed on and off the throttle. Easy to ride around with such a light clutch or with a gizmo that alters the fuel air mixture and makes a great bike truely awesome.

Of the many bikes I have had the GSA has never let me down and some have had some pretty rough punishment.

All,

Thanks again for the replies and all the advice, much appreciated. It was my plan to get a test ride the weekend just gone, but work got in the way (on call). It now looks like the bike in question has been sold, so the search continues!

Thank you all again, you might have to put up with me again when I locate another GS in my price range and have questions about that.

I personally would put the money towards getting a 2010 onwards twin cam model, proper fuel gauge, fewer fuel pump controller failures and the box feels better.
All together much more sorted

I had a 08 1200 for a year after having a 1150 for over 10 years just about everything went wrong with it .lucky I never sold the the 1150 so sold the 1200 and carried on using the 1150 much simpler bike/ electrics easy to fix. I think if I change bike now I'll go for a Honda Africa twin

Well, I had an 08 GSA and did 48k miles in 3 years....fuel strip went as did the rear shock which was repaired at 28k for about £100 ish by MCT. I thought that was pretty good.

Thanks again everyone for the advice in this thread. Thanks also to Hondated who sent me some PMs that I can't reply to (I assume you have to be a subscribe to do that). If someone would pass on my thanks, I'd be grateful. Anyway, long story short, I picked up a very recent TE Triple Black today and am loving it so far! :clap

Back
Top Bottom